How is ROADS doing at Ground?

STFXG

It hasn't rolled out to all terminals. And we probably won't get it. We are just going to be getting e-manifests from what I've been told. Basically the scanner just shows the addresses and how many boxes for each stop. The same thing we all ready get a print out of.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam stated in another thread that it was rolling out in the middle of July at his terminal... wonders how it's going over there
Slowly. Last week they finally started downloading the manifest into the scanner. No maps or "turn by turns", but helpful especially if the load chart is well sorted out.

MaineGroundDriver

It hasn't rolled out to all terminals. And we probably won't get it. We are just going to be getting e-manifests from what I've been told. Basically the scanner just shows the addresses and how many boxes for each stop. The same thing we all ready get a print out of.

We've had the e-manifest for 2 months now .. has it's pros and cons .. It can be a pain in the butt when the manifest has incorrectly separated packages for 1 stop into 2 stops on the manifest .. on the plus side, if you're at a bulk stop and you have grabbed a package that's for a different stop, it does beep at you and tell you the package is scheduled for a different stop.

HomeDelivery

thanks guys for the replies... I just wanted to know how much closer to HD is about those things.

I saw a Ground temp driver driving those bigger isuzu fuso/ gmc w3500 box truck the past peak & he got pissed that I was given a printed map & sequenced manifest to just connect the dots to deliver my load in stop-order.

Vs.

him pulling to the shoulder to re-organize his load & look at the map for the same hourly pay...

so for future Peak drivers looking at this; HD is still the easier of the 2 hourly temp jobs in this division:consoling:

HomeDelivery

well, i ran into a Ground guy driving a small box truck in a rural area... he was using a personal laptop with a similar system to route his day :why:

He did switched from HD & thought it was dumb that Ground doesn't have this implemented yet. I told them that it's been in the system already ~ just ask for them to apply it to his small service area... Also weird that a small 10 foot box truck from Ground is running about when HD is in the same area.

had an update to my scanner & it now shows a slot for doing pickups (hopefully from local FX-office locations) but we're not starting that yet

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LOL. I'm going to disagree with others who think DR is going to work as planned. If it's anything like ROADS, they'll never figure it out. Add-in the new generation of dumbed-down Express couriers, and you've got some issues. As far as Ground goes, it isn't going to be a panacea for them either.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't know how many times I can point this out, but it's just a tool. Personally, I would probably rarely even use such a program since I have quite a bit of route knowledge. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when HD drivers are so dependent on turn-by-turn directions that they never seem to learn an area. It's all logical if one allows repitition to teach.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know how many times I can point this out, but it's just a tool. Personally, I would probably rarely even use such a program since I have quite a bit of route knowledge. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when HD drivers are so dependent on turn-by-turn directions that they never seem to learn an area. It's all logical if one allows repitition to teach.

Exactly...it's a tool. But apparently, Express thinks it will solve everything and allow someone to be plucked-off the street, stuck in a truck, and made immediately "efficient". I don't think so.

HomeDelivery

I know it's a tool... good for swing/cover drivers.

most in my terminal who has the same area day-after-day just goes by the printed map/delivery manifest & can break the trace to be more efficient.

it's when the cover drivers come in and go at it blind.

I remember covering an area for Ground one day & they implemented that program; I was out until 9pm that day... just so i can break trace an make the pickups on time.