How is the volume with this economy

BigBrownSanta

Volume is a funny thing.

If they say volume is down 3%, that's 3 packages out of 100. If you normally go out with 300 packages, would you really notice 9 packages missing off of your truck?

Last year, my deliveries would break down as:

Monday - Normal. Not heavy, not light.
Tuesday - Blown out. My heaviest day. Maybe a split pulled.
Wednesday and Thurday - Heavy, but not blown out.
Friday - Almost normal, maybe an occasional split added.

This past week:

Monday - Light. 20 stop split.
Tuesday - Normal. Full route.
Wednesday - Blown out. 3/4 of route.
Thursday - Heavy - 1/2 of route.
Friday (today) - Exceptionally light. 20 stop split.

Last year it seemed to be fairly consistent, but this year it's sporadic. More stops in less area on some days and less stops with more area to cover on other days.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not see the down volume, I have a few people quit their daily pick ups, and a few moved because of the terrible neighborhood. But we now deliver medicine for everyone on disability, so Im the same 9.5 or more every single day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Looks like our volume will be going up as of the end of June. DHL will be pulling out of our area completely by the end of the month.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Residential medicine stops do not equal the volume we are missing you guys. We are missing the pkgs from those first couple of dump stops you have every day. Thats where the bigger money is made.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WalMart merchandise for the store has been down but the ship to store, where customers can order from their website and have it shipped to the store for free, is way up.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Residential medicine stops do not equal the volume we are missing you guys. We are missing the pkgs from those first couple of dump stops you have every day. Thats where the bigger money is made.
My dump stops are not down, and my residential is up. For the 2 pu's I lost I gained 10 stops, is that equal?

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
My dump stops are not down, and my residential is up. For the 2 pu's I lost I gained 10 stops, is that equal?

It seems the stops per car are up company wide, maybe your center or district has not lost any volume but others certainly have and it has to be compensated for.

W

westsideworma

They keep telling us we are light (volume less than 25k) but yesterday we did just over 36000. Our start time was 4:40 a.m.

It was ugly.

Today..well..I didn't catch the final number but our belt looked alot like that famous "I Love Lucy" episode..you know..the one where Lucy and Ethel take a job in a candy factory.

sounds familiar

mikestrek

Just wondering how the volume at UPS has been impacted based on the today's economy.

With some mall stores going out of business, the auto, airlines and online catalog shippers struggling to stay in business.

Although with the price of gas today, I do more internet research to see if it is more economical to buy online, than drive to a store, so maybe internet shipping is on the rise.
Here in California, Management is always talking about how bad off we are at UPS. However, over the last 5 years my stop volume has gone from 69 stops to now 125 stops. I think they have to bang that drum so we don't complain about building more "Full Time" jobs. (Remember those?). It's just a foolish game there playing with us all. Imagine how well this company could run if Corporate would just be honest with it's employees. Hang in there guys.