How is this hybrid driver any different than the current TCD "utility driver"?

KoennenTiger

So rather than have TCDs who cover sick days and run LIBs and even cover vacations when their aren't enough FSP cover drivers around now we'll have combo drivers. They'll make more money, have a progression, and will be guaranteed two days a week driving on the weekends.

Does anyone know if they will be prevented from going for FSP somehow? Utility drivers still earned hub seniority and could still put their names on the FSP driver list. So how are combo drivers any different than the TCDs we already have?

Everyone in my center is claiming this is a big deal but the more I think about it the more I don't get it.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
There is no guaranteed two weekend days! And why would the company allow them to go FSP when they have them doing the same exact thing for $6/hr cheaper straight time and $9/hr in OT? If you were the company would you let someone just start costing you more per hour out of the goodness of your heart?

TCD's are NOT nation wide. They are in very few centers is what my understanding is.

PT Car Washer

There is no guaranteed two weekend days! And why would the company allow them to go FSP when they have them doing the same exact thing for $6/hr cheaper straight time and $9/hr in OT? If you were the company would you let someone just start costing you more per hour out of the goodness of your heart?

TCD's are NOT nation wide. They are in very few centers is what my understanding is.
The company can not force you to not sign a bid for another FT job. We have 22.3 bid package car and later bid into a Feeder job. Package car bid into Feeders or car wash or porters or any other FT job they are qualified for.

F

Frankie's Friend

So rather than have TCDs who cover sick days and run LIBs and even cover vacations when their aren't enough FSP cover drivers around now we'll have combo drivers. They'll make more money, have a progression, and will be guaranteed two days a week driving on the weekends.

Does anyone know if they will be prevented from going for FSP somehow? Utility drivers still earned hub seniority and could still put their names on the FSP driver list. So how are combo drivers any different than the TCDs we already have?

Everyone in my center is claiming this is a big deal but the more I think about it the more I don't get it.
The full time bids full time openings here, by classification first, then it opens to the rest of the full time who are qualified and or can be qualified, then goes to the whole building.

What will stop a hybrid combo driver from bidding a package car job?

Answer: less ft pkg car openings in the future compared to what it would have to be if the hybrid jobs get scrapped.

If everything we're hearing is true in this issue the job offering isn't the only thing that needs scrapped.

KoennenTiger

Oh I did not know that. TCDs are in my center. Or at least they were back when we could actually hire enough FSPs and weren't desperate. Still I could ask that question about my center and the other centers in my area. They had TCDs at $18.75 an hour. Why not use them rather than FSPs. Yet every TCD is now an FSP.

Benben

"The company can not force you to not sign a bid for another FT job. We have 22.3 bid package car and later bid into a Feeder job. Package car bid into Feeders or car wash or porters or any other FT job they are qualified for."

First, do not use a double negative! Second put the damn crack pipe down its really screwing with your thought process at this point.

I meant exactly what I said. Here, let me help you: Once the company starts drivers who will ALWAYS BE CHEAPER, why would they allow them to "bid" into a FSP spot? They will just ax that spot and replace it with the 22.4. That leads to actively headhunting top rate FSP's!

PT Car Washer

Oh I did not know that. TCDs are in my center. Or at least they were back when we could actually hire enough FSPs and weren't desperate. Still I could ask that question about my center and the other centers in my area. They had TCDs at $18.75 an hour. Why not use them rather than FSPs. Yet every TCD is now an FSP.
TCD's were suppose to be used to cover vacations and optional days. Letting the FT drivers have more summer vacation picks. Assuming the Centers were fully staffed.

F

Frankie's Friend

"The company can not force you to not sign a bid for another FT job. We have 22.3 bid package car and later bid into a Feeder job. Package car bid into Feeders or car wash or porters or any other FT job they are qualified for."

First, do not use a double negative! Second put the damn crack pipe down its really screwing with your thought process at this point.

I meant exactly what I said. Here, let me help you: Once the company starts drivers who will ALWAYS BE CHEAPER, why would they allow them to "bid" into a FSP spot? They will just ax that spot and replace it with the 22.4. That leads to actively headhunting top rate FSP's!
Is this speculation I presume?

Benben

They had TCDs at $18.75 an hour. Why not use them rather than FSPs. Yet every TCD is now an FSP.

Your answer is right there! "Every TCD is now an FSP." If 22.4 is allowed your statement will be, "Every TCD is now a 22.4." Within 20 years FSP possitions may become a found memory as everyone driving full time are 22.4's

F

Frankie's Friend

TCD's were suppose to be used to cover vacations and optional days. Letting the FT drivers have more summer vacation picks. Assuming the Centers were fully staffed.
The language says they can be used in "volume fluctuations".
In other words all the time unless someone wants to investigate and document abuse to put a stop to it.

F

Frankie's Friend

Your answer is right there! "Every TCD is now an FSP." If 22.4 is allowed your statement will be, "Every TCD is now a 22.4." Within 20 years FSP possitions may become a found memory as everyone driving full time are 22.4's

More presumption?

542thruNthru

Ok I have to ask. What does FSP stand for?

We do not have TCD here. We have PT cover drivers that work like FT drivers and they are used all the time. They have slowed FT hiring to a crawl. 10 year wait here. Hybrid drivers will do the same thing every where.

Benben

More presumption?

What is to stop the company from doing this? In what we have been given thus far there has not been 1 mention of restrictions, limitations or barriers in doing exactly what I said!

So again I ask you, If you were the company why would you NOT DO THIS?

F

Frankie's Friend

Look at how the company has used the contract in the past. If you were told to cut expenses why would you not do this?
Heck they abuse air drivers delivery. I got that.
But if SO and team get elected to replace the fine gentlemen in the GP and ST positions I can see them putting a stop to the garbage language and surrendering that been going on for 20 years and it would be work striking over if necessary.

It's not reality yet. Vote the crap down if it's fools gold.

PT Car Washer

The language says they can be used in "volume fluctuations".
In other words all the time unless someone wants to investigate and document abuse to put a stop to it.
Ok I have to ask. What does FSP stand for?

We do not have TCD here. We have PT cover drivers that work like FT drivers and they are used all the time. They have slowed FT hiring to a crawl. 10 year wait here. Hybrid drivers will do the same thing every where.
Sounds like a TCD to me. Are they paid top driver rate or a lower rate?

F

Frankie's Friend

What is to stop the company from doing this? In what we have been given thus far there has not been 1 mention of restrictions, limitations or barriers in doing exactly what I said!

So again I ask you, If you were the company why would you NOT DO THIS?
If you were the union negotiators why would you allow this and what are we doing to notify the members that it looks like cake but it's actually arsenic?

F

Frankie's Friend

Sounds like a TCD to me. Are they paid top driver rate or a lower rate?
Lower of course.
Why pay someone package car pay rate when they do package car work?
Because they should get paid that except the man has been throwing the company so many bones over the years that there's very little spine left in the skeleton.

Let's get rid of the leadership of yesterday and change tomorrow before it's too late.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Simple,
$6 LESS AN HOUR!!!