How is this hybrid driver any different than the current TCD "utility driver"?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
If you were the union negotiators why would you allow this and what are we doing to notify the members that it looks like cake but it's actually arsenic?

Your first question is a damn good one! Why would they allow this? The press release claimed more full time union dues. You get that by telling UPS to go pound sand and hire more full time drivers!

As to your second question, we are doing a form of it right now! Information into as many heads as possible!

KoennenTiger

Ok I have to ask. What does FSP stand for?

We do not have TCD here. We have PT cover drivers that work like FT drivers and they are used all the time. They have slowed FT hiring to a crawl. 10 year wait here. Hybrid drivers will do the same thing every where.

If they are fsp (fill service provider) then they are an actual driver and are on the driver's pay progression. They can also bid on any route openings to get their own route. Until they win a route bid they are a cover driver. They cover vacations, sick days, abandoned but not yet up for bid routes (guy gues feeder for example his route can't be bid until he wins a feeder route), etc etc.

TCD is not a full time position you are still a hub employee and earn hub seniority. I was a TCD for 1.5 years and during that last year I drove almost every day and made $36k that year. But I did not earn any progression towards my top driver rate.

Lower of course.
Why pay someone package car pay rate when they do package car work?
Because they should get paid that except the man has been throwing the company so many bones over the years that there's very little spine left in the skeleton.

Let's get rid of the leadership of yesterday and change tomorrow before it's too late.
My building does not have TCDs. Only PT and Art 22.3 air drivers that basically do the same thing only we are paid top driver rate. Not a bad job except it is either feast or famine.

F

Frankie's Friend

Your first question is a damn good one! Why would they allow this? The press release claimed more full time union dues. You get that by telling UPS to go pound sand and hire more full time drivers!

As to your second question, we are doing a form of it right now! Information into as many heads as possible!
To be fair...

Let's see the language and then decide what to do about it.
Be ready just dont get your duck gun until you see the ducks....

Even tho it quacks like one since 2013.

542thruNthru

If they are fsp (fill service provider) then they are an actual driver and are on the driver's pay progression. They can also bid on any route openings to get their own route. Until they win a route bid they are a cover driver. They cover vacations, sick days, abandoned but not yet up for bid routes (guy gues feeder for example his route can't be bid until he wins a feeder route), etc etc.

TCD is not a full time position you are still a hub employee and earn hub seniority. I was a TCD for 1.5 years and during that last year I drove almost every day and made $36k that year. But I did not earn any progression towards my top driver rate.

Ok so our cover drivers are kind of like your TCDs. They do earn progression towards top driver rate but do not get it till they go FT. Though we have 14 cover drivers and none have been back to the hub in years. This is what slows down FT drivers being hired.

I made over $60k last year working my PT job and air exception driving. Maybe that is the reason for the new hybrid driver jobs. To put the PT air drivers out the door.

F

Frankie's Friend

The only good part is that if you scratch 5 days on a route as a tcd gou wont have to requalify when you get a chance to be a FSP (Fulltime Service Provider)

Ok so our cover drivers are kind of like your TCDs. They do earn progression towards top driver rate but do not get it till they go FT. Though we have 14 cover drivers and none have been back to the hub in years. This is what slows down FT drivers being hired.
14 PT cover drivers? Unless you work out of a building with 500 FT drivers that sounds a bit excessive.

KoennenTiger

Your answer is right there! "Every TCD is now an FSP." If 22.4 is allowed your statement will be, "Every TCD is now a 22.4." Within 20 years FSP possitions may become a found memory as everyone driving full time are 22.4's

How? Are they going to allow 22.4 drivers to bid on FSP routes? Or would that only go to full drivers? Won't they just use 22.4 drivers to cover during the week, work weekends, and then have fewer full drivers in the better progression? Rather than use TCDs who don't get any progression at all?

Hmm I wonder what they will do if a 22.4 driver hits that top rate and then moves to an FSP? Will he then have to wait 4 more years for that last raise?

Benben

My building does not have TCDs. Only PT and Art 22.3 air drivers that basically do the same thing only we are paid top driver rate. Not a bad job except it is either feast or famine.

So apply what has been offered up as a good contract. In you building 22.4's will replace the PT and 22.3 air drivers. Why, I am glad you asked. Because why pay a 22.3 top driver rate when you can pay the 22.4 a crap ton less because; A) you now force them into a pay progression and B) when 22.4 does hit top rate its still $6 less!!!

So apply what has been offered up as a good contract. In you building 22.4's will replace the PT and 22.3 air drivers. Why, I am glad you asked. Because why pay a 22.3 top driver rate when you can pay the 22.4 a crap ton less because; A) you now force them into a pay progression and B) when 22.4 does hit top rate its still $6 less!!!
Something we can agree on. I may just have to retire just to stay at my current income level.

KoennenTiger

Hmm our air drivers only make bottom of the scale rate. Unless they actually sheet a non-NDA in any way. At that point they get top rate for the day... Seems like the contract we are all under is different all over the place

Benben

How? Are they going to allow 22.4 drivers to bid on FSP routes? Or would that only go to full drivers? Won't they just use 22.4 drivers to cover during the week, work weekends, and then have fewer full drivers in the better progression? Rather than use TCDs who don't get any progression at all?

Hmm I wonder what they will do if a 22.4 driver hits that top rate and then moves to an FSP? Will he then have to wait 4 more years for that last raise?

Again, What have you seen thus far makes you sure there will be a FSP route or position available? I have not seen nor have I heard anything that leads me to believe that UPS wants to or intends to keep and fill "FSP" positions as full time drivers move out of those spots voluntarily or non voluntarily!

KoennenTiger

Again, What have you seen thus far makes you sure there will be a FSP route or position available? I have not seen nor have I heard anything that leads me to believe that UPS wants to or intends to keep and fill "FSP" positions as full time drivers move out of those spots voluntarily or non voluntarily!

We won't know if they will allow combo drivers to somehow bid on open routes until we see the new contract language. I doubt it.

Benben

We won't know if they will allow combo drivers to somehow bid on open routes until we see the new contract language. I doubt it.

Bid on what open route? That is what I have been saying.

I understand that is how we as drivers think now, "so and so retired or went feeders or customer counter I wonder who will bid his/her route."
Think like a center manager for a minute. How do you structure it so that you get a driver delivering without established boundaries and it costs you less?

Not on a bid route. They would first have to bid into FT package car as a FT driver. Then they could bid a route or a FT cover driver. Regardless they would still be FT accumulating a FT pension and seniority.

Bid on what open route? That is what I have been saying.

I understand that is how we as drivers think now, "so and so retired or went feeders or customer counter I wonder who will bid his/her route."
Think like a center manager for a minute. How do you structure it so that you get a driver delivering without established boundaries and it costs you less?
FT route cutting has been going on for quite some time. Even as the volume has grown. UPS just keeps cutting residential areas off of FT bid routes and combine them into 200+ residential junk routes. Switching them around enough to claim they are just split routes and not open for bid.

Benben

Not on a bid route. They would first have to bid into FT package car as a FT driver. Then they could bid a route or a FT cover driver. Regardless they would still be FT accumulating a FT pension and seniority.

And how many years now have centers across the nation been down understaffed in the FT package car ranks? When was the last time you asked a Sup if we're getting more drivers and been told we are at full staff?

Benben

FT route cutting has been going on for quite some time. Even as the volume has grown. UPS just keeps cutting residential areas off of FT bid routes and combine them into 200+ residential junk routes. Switching them around enough to claim they are just split routes and not open for bid.

And what kind of route is PRIME for the new 22.4?!?!?!?!?!?!?!