How long till initiation fees are paid in full?

kevingcp

I'm going into my 3rd week as a package handler and just have a quick question on how long will it take for the Teamsters initiation fee to be paid in full? I'm only making about 44 dollars a pay check, so it kind of sucks.

Thanks

Kev

UPSGUY72

It depends on the amount of your initiation fees and how much they are taking out of your check each week.

But you can figure it out once you know how much your initiation fee is divide that by the amount they take out each week for those and you will have your answer.....

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
At present, they deduct the initiation fee out of the first four paychecks. Divided equally. From then on, you pay a monthly dues.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm curious----how much are iniation fees now days for a full time person? If I recall they were about $65 back when I started and dues were like $12 bucks a month. I could be wrong but I do have an old Union dues receipt that shows $15 bucks for dues.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm curious----how much are iniation fees now days for a full time person? If I recall they were about $65 back when I started and dues were like $12 bucks a month. I could be wrong but I do have an old Union dues receipt that shows $15 bucks for dues.

​Your point here is that you are really old?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I must be really old too, I don't even remember paying initiation fees when I joined Local 728 in the 70's. Come to think about it, there are a lot of things I don't remember that happened in that decade.....:ashamed:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Depends on the local. Typically, I'd expect it to be ~10x the hourly rate -- in my local, it's a flat $200. However, we also waive initiation fees for newly hired PT'ers.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
That's a nice perk for your PT'ers. Our local does not. I believe it is one reason there is high turnover. You have to pay your fee over a 4 paycheck period. This really hurts the first month income, and many work as loaders busting their butts. When they get their paychecks they sometimes say "XXXX this!" and quit. I've actually seen this happen. It's a shame. High turnover really hurts the system long term.