How Many Part-Time Supes Load?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

WestSide...

I agree with you and I could say the same thing...there are times I beg for help and can't get any cause we are too busy catering to the belts of Sups that have had assistance all day.

I would hook ya up with some rep points but apparently I am doing it wrong...so ya have to wait until I learn...otherwise I am going to have a lot of enemies here...lol.

Yesterday I had 79 good rep points...today I have 8,000 bad rep points..lol!:naive:

You defintly have some nice excuses at your fingertips. Blame the union, blame "Stewart" (rofl :sick:), then you blame your own family - management for catering to other belts....is this how they trained in the military as well? Take no responsibility? :laughing:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
OH GOOD [evil]"LESSWORK"..[/evil]YOUR BACK!

SO I MIS-SPELLED THE WORD... IT DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T
KNOW WHAT THE UNION IS OR THAT THERE IS A CONTRACT.
NOR HAS ANYTHING I'VE SAID

I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD TALK, CUZ IF YA READ HALF YOUR
POSTS YOUR BARELY SPEAKING ENGLISH.

IF YOUR IN MANAGEMENT?? YOUR DEFINATELY A ROLE MODEL...
YOU CERTAINLY EMBODY EVERYTHING IN A MANAGER THAT I
WOULD LIKE "NOT" TO BE. AS A MATTER OF FACT YOUR CHOICE
OF NAME SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE.

YOUR A FAR CRY FROM MY MANAGEMENT...

THANK YOU FOR WELCOMING ME TO BROWN CAFE, I HAD ONLY
BEEN HERE ONCE OR TWICE WHEN I REGISTERED TWO YEARS AGO.
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR NEGATIVE REPUTATION COMMENTS.

OH AND THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH A BULLY! I THINK YOUR GREAT!

:raspberry-tounge:

LKLND3380

The only time I ever work is when A. I've been instructed to, B. I'm training someone or C. there is no one to help, we're beyond screwed and the morale is suffering. I'd love to be able to jump in and help my employees when they need it, but unless its dire circumstances I know we're really not supposed to so I don't. I try to find help but its not that often that I'm successful.

C. There is always someone to help and by that it means hourlies in the unload... You pull two or four hourlies from the unload to help and that slows down the flow allowing EVERYONE to be successful and get cleaned up.

Mangagement does not like this because once that unloader has been helping load for more than 30 minutes - that unloader gets an extra $1.00 for each hour worked that day. So if you pull four hourlies from the unload and they work 4 hours loading that $16 extra they are paying that wasn't in the plan.

LKLND3380

Seems so. In our operation sometimes the union guys will come in early to go around and watch the belts, looking for us loading. We are told via our radios about it so we don't load while being watched. So much for the integrity that is preached.

Are there no union members working the belts before the "Union Guys" come in? Every hourly should be watching and doccumenting supes working - easy money winning that grievence...

On my belt we have one guy who doccuments EVERYTHING... He will go to the preload supe - warn them and then file...

LKLND3380

Well, heres my take.
I help load because I want to hit our numbers. I also help because I want to get my drivers out on time. Some of my preloaders just aren't good enough no matter what I/they do, or they just get hammered by volume. So, in order to keep them from shutting off the belt, I help keep them afloat. I use the time in the trucks to look for misloads as well. Kills two birds with one stone. I have had drivers talk to me before, and I tell them I will try to load less. And I really do. But for me, coming from a preload position myself, its hard not to load sometimes. And its hard to walk away from a preloader getting killed by volume.
Bottom line....yeah, I load so I dont get my ass chewed for not hitting PPH. Such is life....

If they get hammered by volume SLOW THE FLOW ON THE BELT... Then they wont shut off the belt.

You want the drivers to bet out on time then START THE PRELOAD 30 MINUTES EARLY...

:smart:

LKLND3380

Sure there are times when you maybe instructed to load. But when you do load you should be putting a timecard in for yourself. That way you have accurate numbers. Otherwise your integrity may come into question and if you are ever questioned about falsifying your numbers you have a record of it.

Correct because then you show that X amount of volume can be done in X amount of hours. Then when you don't meet those numbers it comes back to bite you: well on January __ and January __ and March __ you were able to do it why are you unable to do it on June __?

LKLND3380

I do it b/c the people on my belt, simply can not keep up, choose not to keep up, and I hate to see them buried in the incredibly large volume coming down the belt!
:smart:Here is an idea, I do it for morale! I do it to assist.. to train (over and over), I do it to help people catch up! So they do not feel overwelmed.
But I guess you will always have the shop stewart and the union rep who attempt to make problems out of everything.

Maybe I wouldn't have to work if the hourlies on my belt simply...
a) showed up on time
b) came to work
c) utilized the methods
d) actually tried to put the work away

You don't want to see people buried SLOW THE FLOW DOWN so they do not have this "INCREDIBLY LARGE VOLUME" you speak of...

a) People don't show up on time - DOCCUMENT IT with a steward
b) People don't want to come to work - DOCCUMENT IT with a stewards
c) People don't want to use proper methods - DOCCUMENT IT with a steward
d) People are not putting their work away - DOCCUMENT IT with a steward

Call a Steward and have the Steward help load because the Steward is an hourly. You have NOT brought up ANY valid reason for Supes to handle packages.

LKLND3380

"LessWork....ThanMost"

THERE IS NO REASON FOR A SUPERVISOR TO BE WORKING.
ALTHOUGH....
There are times when it is inevitable...
I am not being contemptuous toward the union at all. I understand both sides, and that is okay. That is my opinion. That certainly doesn't make me less of a supervisor, nor does it define my career in UPS. Which may or
may not have been what you were "trying" to say.

Never inevitable... You stop the belt until preloaders get it clean and once someone gets their trucks caught up you send them to help their neighbors. You pull from the unload/sort and have them help others get cleaned up...

The ONLY time it is inevitable is IF management sent home EVERY hourly and the only people in the building are Supes because the drivers have not come in yet and even then you should wait until a driver shows up.

Stop making excuses for poor management skills - inevitable... ha...

LKLND3380

In my opinion, as a p/t sup, that the new contract is absolutely terrible in that the starting wage is still 8.50 an hour. I really couldn't believe it when I read it, but I guess I didn't really expect anything else.

The contract reads $8.50 is the MINIMUM starting wage. UPS can start new hires at $26.00 if they choose to do so... It is UPS's choice...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Just so everyone knows, Storm723 negative commented me a couple days ago.

Then, he made another bonehead post, so I responded and negative commented him on it this morning...

Storm723 also apparently doesnt realize you can't give negative comments more than one time, as his wording was "thank you for all the negative comments" ....which is impossible ...haha

aww, well I for one don't feel bad for you. You can keep loading and doing hourly work and blaming it on everyone else. "You're" a fool for getting your hands dirty.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
You guys are killing me...lol.

I appreciate all of your feedback. Despite what you think, I am not an idiot.

I run a great belt, and bring up morale on any belt I work. I make my numbers 95% of the time. I have improved a.m. time, reduced misloads to zero (w/ maybe a few exceptions), I manage s/a, as well as my loaders on every belt I have been on. I have had zero injuries. I manage my belt speed, manage the airport information, and have managed the entire building when my boss has been away. Oh and we made plan during those times as well. I utilize dispatch summaries for "both" centers on my belt, manage the belt PPH and every loaders PPH hourly.

I also involve my loaders in their numbers, which gives them an understanding and sense of pride in their work.

My loaders enjoy working for me. I run a very successful belt.

However, there are times.... as rare as it may be that I have to [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]"train employees or demonstrate and maintain safety". [/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
[/FONT]

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I will reiterate to you that I was playing the devils advocate, as
I stated below and before you all pounced on me.

Hence the reason for the little devils holding the sign in my original post.

Thanks for my warm welcome.

I try to see the good in everything, and this too shall pass.

:oops:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
This has gotten really boring.... and I am tired of the bashing. I have made several attempts to understand this rep thing, in a few places. I haven't given any rep since "Belle" said something this am.

I haven't heard from Cheryl yet...don't worry about mine...suddenly everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Believe it or not "lesswork" wasn't meant to be bad, that was actually my attempt at trying to chill the convo... (which just got worse...oh well)
LOL...

and if you look at any rep activity I have attempted you will see they are all grey...whatever that means... I honestly thought "approve comment" was giving you pos rep...

I didn't have a "choice" of green, red or grey.

bellesotico

BOXstar
This has gotten really boring.... and I am tired of the bashing. I have made several attempts to understand this rep thing, in a few places. I haven't given any rep since "Belle" said something this am.

I haven't heard from Cheryl yet...don't worry about mine...suddenly everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Believe it or not "lesswork" wasn't meant to be bad, that was actually my attempt at trying to chill the convo... (which just got worse...oh well)
LOL...

and if you look at any rep activity I have attempted you will see they are all grey...whatever that means... I honestly thought "approve comment" was giving you pos rep...

I didn't have a "choice" of green, red or grey.

Approve comment is positive rep :) Storm..you have done more than enough to make amends...and not everyone is "jumping on the bandwagon".
I will say this..I understood that you were playing devils advocate, but perhaps you didn't consider the risk you were taking when you made your posts taking that position. Although you were once a preloader, you are now considered to have crossed over to the "darkside"..lol. Any comment with even the slightest negative tone regarding hourly emp. or the union..well..I think its fair to say you are opening pandoras box.

You seem like a really nice guy..with the best of intentions! I don't think you are stupid. Just try to understand where things may be sitting from the hourly side of the fence. We get "devil's advocate" all shift long...just give us Storm :)

H

hseofpayne

Well in a perfect world where the sun never goes down and wed spend our days sitting on a beach sipping drinks.....PAS would be perfect, UPS wouldnt have to rely on foggy minded/ irresponsible union workers from college and the drivers wouldnt have to sort through their cars. but being in the real world PAS isnt perfect UPS does rely on foggy minded union workers to move packages and no matter how many Union workers or Sups working, things will never be 100%, 100% of the time
You don't do a very good job of hiding your contempt for the lowly hourly worker on this forum. Do you show this same level of disrespect to your employees in person? I seriously doubt your "foggy minded union workers" could give a darn about your numbers if your attitude here is repeated at work.

H

hseofpayne

I will reiterate to you that I was playing the devils advocate, as
I stated below and before you all pounced on me.

Hence the reason for the little devils holding the sign in my original post.

Thanks for my warm welcome.

I try to see the good in everything, and this too shall pass.

:oops:
You will have to forgive us "foggy minded union employees" ! We interpreted that little devil sign to represent a rare member of management who knew what we think of them!

drewed

Shankman
Well in a perfect world where the sun never goes down and wed spend our days sitting on a beach sipping drinks.....PAS would be perfect, UPS wouldnt have to rely on foggy minded/ irresponsible union workers from college and the drivers wouldnt have to sort through their cars. but being in the real world PAS isnt perfect UPS does rely on foggy minded union workers to move packages and no matter how many Union workers or Sups working, things will never be 100%, 100% of the time
You don't do a very good job of hiding your contempt for the lowly hourly worker on this forum. Do you show this same level of disrespect to your employees in person? I seriously doubt your "foggy minded union workers" could give a darn about your numbers if your attitude here is repeated at work.

I have a lot of respect for the employees, about 9 out of 10 do a fantastic job and I am one of the sups that will praise employees and thank them for making the operations successful. My contempt is for that other 10% that use the system; steal time, slack off at work, dont follow proper methods. They sit behind the union and waste company AND union resources grieving frivilously. Every position at UPS is just as important as the next; things dont run without management; things dont get where they need to be without drivers/feeders/pilots and it the sort workers/rampers to keep the system flowing. Where the foggy minded comment comes in is Ive had employees fall asleep on the sort line, I bring them aside and ask if everything is ok outside of work. Ive had employees mess up using a smart scanning system where the package is supposed to sorted a certain way, they scan it comes up with an error to the wrong location and they still decide to overide that and load it anyways. I probably know my employees more than any other supervisor would care to; I make sure they have a safe enjoyable expierence at UPS. I never have to tell them to do anything, I dont have to bark at them, all I have to is ask them. One thing I learned when I first started as a union worker; you treat ANY worker with respect and theyll do amazing things for you; and thats why I am succesful at work is because of my employees.

H

hseofpayne

I have a lot of respect for the employees, about 9 out of 10 do a fantastic job and I am one of the sups that will praise employees and thank them for making the operations successful. My contempt is for that other 10% that use the system; steal time, slack off at work, dont follow proper methods. They sit behind the union and waste company AND union resources grieving frivilously. Every position at UPS is just as important as the next; things dont run without management; things dont get where they need to be without drivers/feeders/pilots and it the sort workers/rampers to keep the system flowing. Where the foggy minded comment comes in is Ive had employees fall asleep on the sort line, I bring them aside and ask if everything is ok outside of work. Ive had employees mess up using a smart scanning system where the package is supposed to sorted a certain way, they scan it comes up with an error to the wrong location and they still decide to overide that and load it anyways. I probably know my employees more than any other supervisor would care to; I make sure they have a safe enjoyable expierence at UPS. I never have to tell them to do anything, I dont have to bark at them, all I have to is ask them. One thing I learned when I first started as a union worker; you treat ANY worker with respect and theyll do amazing things for you; and thats why I am succesful at work is because of my employees.
Document, discipline, fire the 10%. Most managers I've been around give sorry employees too many opportunities to screw up before they start keeping records. This affects the morale of the other 90%. As I said earlier, sorry preloaders become sorry drivers, and sooner or later, district managers!

blue efficacy

I will allow Supes to work so long as they do not criticize my work in any way. Live and let live.

I have to do made up jobs to get my 3.5 either way.