How Many Part-Time Supes Load?

MiamiUPS

Preload Soldier
that wouldnt fly to well in this building in some cases.. if a hourly did grieve the supe would then jam him up and suspend him most likely .. so he really is losing
Do not let this keep you from filing a grievance. Legally, a supe can't do anything at all to you for following a grievance. I am not saying he won't give you :censored2: for it, but you definitely won't be suspended or receive anything more then some dirty looks or a smart comment. You cannot be disciplined in any way due to the fact you simply pointed out that the supe was doing something they are not allowed to do. Even better, let them suspend you, file another grievance for disciplining you without any documented warning AND without a steward present. You'll get back pay for the time you were suspended. If your lucky, they'll suspend you for a week and you'll get a free week of vacation.

I am not suggesting this is a way to take advantage of the union. I am telling you not to be scared to file a grievance against a supe who is doing an hourly job. You have to look at it for what it is...the company is trying to take money away from you! Your the one who woke up VERY early in the morning to come to work. If there is more work to be done and more money to be made, it should be made by the people who are supposed to be doing it. Not by some supe on salary who UPS doesn't have to worry about paying any overtime to.

pkg handler

Do not let this keep you from filing a grievance. Legally, a supe can't do anything at all to you for following a grievance. I am not saying he won't give you :censored2: for it, but you definitely won't be suspended or receive anything more then some dirty looks or a smart comment. You cannot be disciplined in any way due to the fact you simply pointed out that the supe was doing something they are not allowed to do. Even better, let them suspend you, file another grievance for disciplining you without any documented warning AND without a steward present. You'll get back pay for the time you were suspended. If your lucky, they'll suspend you for a week and you'll get a free week of vacation.

I am not suggesting this is a way to take advantage of the union. I am telling you not to be scared to file a grievance against a supe who is doing an hourly job. You have to look at it for what it is...the company is trying to take money away from you! Your the one who woke up VERY early in the morning to come to work. If there is more work to be done and more money to be made, it should be made by the people who are supposed to be doing it. Not by some supe on salary who UPS doesn't have to worry about paying any overtime to.

I am a supervisor .. ( recently ) and i seen this happen all the time well it wasnt too common but when ppl grieved yea they got that time and money for it but lost out in the long run believe me.. it isnt fair at all .. but it happens

MiamiUPS

Preload Soldier
I am a supervisor .. ( recently ) and i seen this happen all the time well it wasnt too common but when ppl grieved yea they got that time and money for it but lost out in the long run believe me.. it isnt fair at all .. but it happens
I believe it. I'm sure you get the shaft for and loose the benefit of the doubt from your supes. You are probably viewed as an enemy from there on out. As a preloader, there are certain supes (my p/t and friend/t supes are real cool with me) that I would not file against. They have always been cool with me and I would not want to get any of them in trouble. But there are MANY that I would have no problem filing against.

There is a driver in my building (who also happens to be a shop steward) who comes in around 7:30 and watches. All he does is watch the supes. As soon as one of them start to load, he files a grievance. This guy made over 50 hours of pay this month alone. 50 hours of DRIVER pay. I can understand that the juice may not be worth the squeeze for some preloaders but someone has to do it. In my building, people are doing it. The supes watch for this guy and another guy like the cops. They look like drug dealers when they come around. Imidetely pick up they're clip board and wipe the sweat off their forehead. It's sad it has to be like this but it is. UPS, for the most part, has made it such a "management vs union workers" setup. I hate it and wish we could be on the same side a little more but thats the way it is.

W

westsideworma

I agree, hire more hourlies....one of my exceptional loaders left for a full time job (not with UPS) and normal hours. I can't fault the guy, but damn we could use him haha. The guy who took his place is promising though. We're running a 80 person shift with 60 people due to people calling in, being on vacation, or just plain not showing up. It is frustrating for everyone (hourly and management alike). Have I loaded? Sure I have. Is it a daily occurence? absolutely not. When 3 pickoffs are uncovered (like monday) theres not much I can do. I had the guys on either side of the 2 open pickoffs cover them and I took one for myself, once we were dying down I cut myself out and let help from other areas take over. It sucked and they were frustrated but they dug in and got it done. Today was a little better, no loading for me, we still had an open pick, but thankfully it was a light day and I was able to rotate guys to the vacant set of cars to load them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Preload management is sort of like a dog that pees on your carpet. You can smack them around and rub their nose in it, and they will stop doing it for awhile....but sooner or later they will always go back to that same spot and start pissing again.

W

westsideworma

Or an earlier start time..

Agreed, however, they've pushed us later yet again. We don't finish as it is and they're starting us later...and no one can figure out why people are calling in etc. They get paid more to stay home (ENE district).

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
Our start times have been extremely late for pre load. Its a joke. We have slown down to a crawl and yet they still havent been pushing the start times up. I dont know what else we can do about it.

pkg handler

today we had to send an hourlie home and me and another supe had to finsih his trucks up ( 4 trucks around 1100 pieces ) . The shirts dont help much either when you have sweat dripping from you

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Agreed, however, they've pushed us later yet again. We don't finish as it is and they're starting us later...and no one can figure out why people are calling in etc. They get paid more to stay home (ENE district).

I agree with ya...completely...I would rather start a weeee bit earlier...get it out, get it in...and get out!! :laughing:

pkg handler

Wouldn't that be a lateral move?

no the other p/t supe is basicly the friend/t supes right hand man .. you dont understand with this employee he shoes up late complains his bins are packed and wants help and moves at a snails pace .. graps one package at a time . His load quality might be some of the worst I seen .. putting fl1 pal labeled to the rdl ...c'mon now .. He shoes up in sneakers after numerous times was told he needed reliable boots. He doesnt pick p or put in his truck his irregs .. I'd know because before i became a supe i loaded right next to him and seen it everyday .. hes basically a burden to the boxline .. Either he needs to start working like he cares or get moved maybe to a pull with lesser volume .

Wow. I would've loved to see that. Cha-Ching! $$$!

:dissapointed:

how so .. if you mean you would have filed a grievance that really doesnt get you far in this building . The money doesnt even go to the person who filed it , yet it goes to highest seniority union guy.. true story

and the fact we were short 4 ppl total on 3 boxlines and the primary was short as expected

pkg handler

Not if you were the driver(s) who had to deliver their load.

I loaded the cars and rearranged everything because it was a mess .. before i became a supe I loaded with excellent quality and misloaded last time I checked 1 every 7k .. not bad I think.. drivers still ask me if i wanted to come back and are pretty upset because of the new trainee that is doing my old pull

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I loaded the cars and rearranged everything because it was a mess .. before i became a supe I loaded with excellent quality and misloaded last time I checked 1 every 7k .. not bad I think.. drivers still ask me if i wanted to come back and are pretty upset because of the new trainee that is doing my old pull

I apologize for my generality.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

P/T sup today loaded for about 3 hours out of 4. I won't file against him, he's a good kid and WAD - it's not him doing the load out of his own concern, it's the other managers telling him to do what's necessary.

Imagine that - passing up 70/hr (and drivers 86/hr?) ...I'm a fool apparently, but anyone else feel the same way? Just don't want to bust balls for a situation the P/T kid in command can't control ?

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
1st post here, I have been reading this form for awhile now though. I decided to join because although I have been out of UPS for 4 years, the topics bring back so many memories.

At our hub, sups loaded almost everyday. But what one of the posters said is true, most of the time it's out of our control. Our building manager put in this rule that he has to sign a piece of paper telling you it's ok to work and load. Sounds good right? Well then when my friend/t sup came up to me and told me to load because we were down a person, I asked him to get me that paper signed first he said do it or give me your badge.

I have a ton of stories over 5 years and have begun to recount them on my blog under the tag "what can brown do for you?" Most of my memories are good, but there are definitely some bad ones.

P/T Sups are the lowest on the pole in the building no respect...just ask one of us.

I hope to make this a good home.