How Many Part-Time Supes Load?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I probably know my employees more than any other supervisor would care to; I make sure they have a safe enjoyable expierence at UPS. I never have to tell them to do anything, I dont have to bark at them, all I have to is ask them. One thing I learned when I first started as a union worker; you treat ANY worker with respect and theyll do amazing things for you; and thats why I am succesful at work is because of my employees.

:thumbsup:
I am the same way with my loaders, every person is different, with different limitations and speeds for that matter. I treat them with respect. I take the opportunity to get to know them, they know that I wouldn't make them do anything I haven't or wouldn't do myself. I have my "go to" people that I know I can count on. It is just ineffective to be a screamer, I tried that route (thinking that is how I had to be) and it just didn't work. The loaders just became rebellous, and they basically wouldn't do anything I needed them to do....
The job is hard. Everyones is. If you treat people with respect, they will do just about anything for you, better yet... they want to.

atatbl

You defintly have some nice excuses at your fingertips. Blame the union, blame "Stewart" (rofl :sick:), then you blame your own family - management for catering to other belts....is this how they trained in the military as well? Take no responsibility? :laughing:

LOL! You might be the worst poster on this site.

atatbl

I will reiterate to you that I was playing the devils advocate, as
I stated below and before you all pounced on me.

Hence the reason for the little devils holding the sign in my original post.

Thanks for my warm welcome.

I try to see the good in everything, and this too shall pass.

:oops:

After reading everything, I thought this was all pretty funny. You told nowork or nojob... whatever the heck that ignoramus' name is.... that you were doing that about 2 pages ago. I feel confident most of the posters here are intelligent enough to see what your real point was. Most posters on here don't act like that 'lost in life' lemming.

It is my sincere hope that someday, God willing, that guy gets a clue....

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
LOL! You might be the worst poster on this site.

I will tell ya what...I sure felt that way...
Funny thing is...I was looking and others were posting similar stuff.
I hadn't been on this site in almost two years and after all that...
I was like why did I bother! UGH!

OH and for the record..the negative rep points that I accidently gave Belle & Hiro were removed. YEAH!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

First off, what does me being a far cry from management have to do with anything? I did the MAPP test in '04 and was offered a job and declined.

Secondly, the name I use was a simple joke towards the 22.3 job I previously held where there wasn't much going on (counter-counter). It was an inside joke more or less and doesn't even apply anymore....If I could change it I would...

Thirdly , Storm723, I don't know about you, but I am here to help others figure out answers , maybe throw a quick jab or joke here and there, and to gain insight and answers from those that know more than I.

You on the other hand, have not accepted any help on why you are doing union work and exhaust an attitude that you already know everything and nothing can be changed.

That's fine, it's your life and your shoes, but frankly to come here and blame the union and blame even your own managers for not staffing you properly and then seeking no help or guidance on how to resolve those issues is my main problem. This place should be somewhere you can read others posts and ideas and issues and either learn from them or help, not stirr the pot.
You do what you want, we'll be disagreeing alot on here apparently....:)
That's all, my vacations almost over soooo.... have a nice weekend.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
First off, what does me being a far cry from management have to do with anything? I did the MAPP test in '04 and was offered a job and declined.

Secondly, the name I use was a simple joke towards the 22.3 job I previously held where there wasn't much going on (counter-counter). It was an inside joke more or less and doesn't even apply anymore....If I could change it I would...

Thirdly , Storm723, I don't know about you, but I am here to help others figure out answers , maybe throw a quick jab or joke here and there, and to gain insight and answers from those that know more than I.

You on the other hand, have not accepted any help on why you are doing union work and exhaust an attitude that you already know everything and nothing can be changed.

That's fine, it's your life and your shoes, but frankly to come here and blame the union and blame even your own managers for not staffing you properly and then seeking no help or guidance on how to resolve those issues is my main problem. This place should be somewhere you can read others posts and ideas and issues and either learn from them or help, not stirr the pot.
You do what you want, we'll be disagreeing alot on here apparently....:)
That's all, my vacations almost over soooo.... have a nice weekend.

1) My point regarding management was that if you were one. You and the way you "help" are who I would "not" want to emulate.

2) I was an Hourly/ Loader/ Unloader for less than a year, took the MAPP and took the job.

3) That is too bad.

4) Help others?? I was on this site for less than a day and you attacked me. You were derogatory, rude and bullied me for that last couple of days. I didn't give you neg rep. I gave you neutral points and requested you chill, meaning stop jumping at me, calm down, there was no need to get nasty. I also posted and requested that you stop being so nasty. You called me a ":censored2:" and in your eyes maybe helpful, I say "quick jab".

But I appreciate all your help.

5) You apparently haven't read all of my posts...as I stated almost from the beginning. I was playing the devils advocate.

If this was your civil way to try to communicate and move on. Sounds great!

My name is Storm723, it was a pleasure to meet you.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

1) I was a PT Loader for less than a year, took the MAPP and took the job.

2) That is too bad.

3) Help others?? I was on this site for less than a day and you attacked me. You were derogatory, rude and bullied me for that last couple of days. I didn't give you neg rep. I gave you neutral points and requested you chill, meaning stop jumping at me, calm down, there was no need to get nasty. I also posted and requested that you stop being so nasty. You called me a ":censored2:" & in your eyes maybe helpful, I say "quick jab".

But I appreciate all your help.

4) You apparently haven't read all of my posts...as I stated almost from the beginning. I was playing the devils advocate.

If this was your civil way to try to communicate and move on. Sounds great!

My name is Storm723, it was a pleasure to meet you.

You're new to UPS, that would explain quite a bit. (if that's the case)

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I am. I started at UPS in 2006, I work with a phenomenal management team, and I have been on a pretty fast track for my time and grade here. They have requested me full time, so I think I may be doing something right.

Do I know everything no. I am actually inspired by knowledge and if I can learn something new everyday, great! If you can teach me something even better. I've learned a lot from my management, I have also learned a lot from my employees.

H

hseofpayne

I am. I started at UPS in 2006, I work with a phenomenal management team, and I have been on a pretty fast track for my time and grade here. They have requested me full time, so I think I may be doing something right.

Oh, isn't that sweet, you've been at UPS since all the way back in 2006! Good luck to you, Ive been around 23 years and have watched guys like you become disillusioned when the "fast track" hit a wall. Don't get in too big a hurry to climb the corporate ladder. Make sure you understand each job to which you are promoted. I can tell you from personal experience that its hard for us foggy headed union employees to take orders from guys who flew past driving or only drove a few months. You need to understand just how hard it is to make those numbers as a driver when you have to do it for 30 years! Good luck to you.

upsman415

Almost all the part time supes here at SF hub loads trucks. Now our center have a list to start early and preload. They dont want to hire so they expect us to help out the preload.:sick:

All I will say after reading everyones post is this.....(and keep in mind there is only one supe, and five hourlies here. Not a lot, if any, of moving can be done for help).

When I was a preloader (hourly), I never really cared about the supes loading. Partly because I just didn't care, and partly because I just wanted to do my job, and do it well. I cared about doing it good for the drivers I loaded for. When I got hammered, I appreciated my supes help so the belt could stay on.

Now, being that I am a preload supe, I understand why he was so eager to help. Getting yelled at for not making numbers sucks. I do all of the tasks assigned to me, and then some. Yes, I help my preloaders load. Slowing down the belt does not keep the PPH up, so I get yelled at. Stopping the belt stops flow. I get yelled at. So many excuses...you have all heard them.

Bottom line for me....I know that none of our jobs are exactly easy, or fun, or non-stressful (hourly or management). Take a minute to try and understand where ALL OF US are coming from when we vent our frustrations. Would all of you hourlies still be saying what you are if you were in management? Maybe not. Or maybe you would be awesome managers. Who knows? And for most of us supes, we know that the help can be greatly needed at times, even if we dont want to admit it. And maybe, if we were back in your shoes, we would want the supes to keep their hands off the packages. Again, who knows? If I had all of the hourly people in my center come to me and tell me I need to stop loading, I would. But they don't. Luckily, we all understand that there are some things that just need to be done so we can all do our job effectively, and be able to go home at end of our shift still somewhat happy that the job got done.

LKLND3380

All I will say after reading everyones post is this.....(and keep in mind there is only one supe, and five hourlies here. Not a lot, if any, of moving can be done for help).

When I was a preloader (hourly), I never really cared about the supes loading. Partly because I just didn't care, and partly because I just wanted to do my job, and do it well. I cared about doing it good for the drivers I loaded for. When I got hammered, I appreciated my supes help so the belt could stay on.

Now, being that I am a preload supe, I understand why he was so eager to help. Getting yelled at for not making numbers sucks. I do all of the tasks assigned to me, and then some. Yes, I help my preloaders load. Slowing down the belt does not keep the PPH up, so I get yelled at. Stopping the belt stops flow. I get yelled at. So many excuses...you have all heard them.

Bottom line for me....I know that none of our jobs are exactly easy, or fun, or non-stressful (hourly or management). Take a minute to try and understand where ALL OF US are coming from when we vent our frustrations. Would all of you hourlies still be saying what you are if you were in management? Maybe not. Or maybe you would be awesome managers. Who knows? And for most of us supes, we know that the help can be greatly needed at times, even if we dont want to admit it. And maybe, if we were back in your shoes, we would want the supes to keep their hands off the packages. Again, who knows? If I had all of the hourly people in my center come to me and tell me I need to stop loading, I would. But they don't. Luckily, we all understand that there are some things that just need to be done so we can all do our job effectively, and be able to go home at end of our shift still somewhat happy that the job got done.

I think if all the Supes stayed home for a week and the hourlies ran the ship it would be the highest profit week in the history of UPS. We all know our jobs and how to perform. Management interference is the biggest slow down...

W

westsideworma

C. There is always someone to help and by that it means hourlies in the unload... You pull two or four hourlies from the unload to help and that slows down the flow allowing EVERYONE to be successful and get cleaned up.

Mangagement does not like this because once that unloader has been helping load for more than 30 minutes - that unloader gets an extra $1.00 for each hour worked that day. So if you pull four hourlies from the unload and they work 4 hours loading that $16 extra they are paying that wasn't in the plan.

see that's what happens for those 2 days I mention. They'll go down a setup and send help where its needed. When I ask again, they've already cut people there (I kid you not). Our unload is wrapping in under 3 hrs in some cases....ridiculous. Then they wonder why the outbounds are buried. Hey I'd love the help, but then again, what you said maybe makes sense as to why I stop getting it from that area after a couple days.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

see that's what happens for those 2 days I mention. They'll go down a setup and send help where its needed. When I ask again, they've already cut people there (I kid you not). Our unload is wrapping in under 3 hrs in some cases....ridiculous. Then they wonder why the outbounds are buried. Hey I'd love the help, but then again, what you said maybe makes sense as to why I stop getting it from that area after a couple days.

The midnight was 11:30 to 4am+ this morning - 4.5hrs plus for the PT, 9+ for me. No mercy in that 90 degree laser sun provided sauna. The unload pounded it out in under 3.5 and at the mercy were the PDs getting crunched with 140k.

MiamiUPS

Preload Soldier
Point is, if you supervisors are loading, we must need more of us hourlies.
Exactly.

People, if your P/T supes are loading, FILE A GRIEVANCE! It's free money for you! I don't understand why you would not want to get paid for hours of work that you did nothing! Not to mention, UPS needs to follow the contract and realize if P/T supes are loading every single day, they need more hourlies! Plain and simple. If they hired more hourlies to do the work that the P/T supes are doing like the are supposed to do, they will soon notice that the P/T supe position has little to no purpose at all and can be easily cut out.

So by you filing a grievance:

1. You get paid for work you didn't even do
2. UPS will eventually stop allowing they're P/T supes to do hourly work
3. Management may realize that position is unecessary and cut it out all together
4. UPS will hire more hourlys to help you with the workload

Hourlies cost less then P/T supes. So in the end, if that all happens (which it won't of course), you make more money and UPS saves money! Everyone wins if you just do things the way it was agreed upon in the contract.

I can't even believe this thread is here and all these supes are admitting to the hourly work they do. My stewards are on top of this kind of thing in my building.

pkg handler

Exactly.

People, if your P/T supes are loading, FILE A GRIEVANCE! It's free money for you! I don't understand why you would not want to get paid for hours of work that you did nothing! Not to mention, UPS needs to follow the contract and realize if P/T supes are loading every single day, they need more hourlies! Plain and simple. If they hired more hourlies to do the work that the P/T supes are doing like the are supposed to do, they will soon notice that the P/T supe position has little to no purpose at all and can be easily cut out.

So by you filing a grievance:

1. You get paid for work you didn't even do
2. UPS will eventually stop allowing they're P/T supes to do hourly work
3. Management may realize that position is unecessary and cut it out all together
4. UPS will hire more hourlys to help you with the workload

Hourlies cost less then P/T supes. So in the end, if that all happens (which it won't of course), you make more money and UPS saves money! Everyone wins if you just do things the way it was agreed upon in the contract.

I can't even believe this thread is here and all these supes are admitting to the hourly work they do. My stewards are on top of this kind of thing in my building.

that wouldnt fly to well in this building in some cases.. if a hourly did grieve the supe would then jam him up and suspend him most likely .. so he really is losing

No you should not be loading. When you leave that building (most days) your clothes should be clean. A good supervisor works through his people. You do not get paid to load, you get paid to supervise. It also sounds like you have some staffing issues that need to be addressed. Now some days when you have a lot of call offs or what not, yes you will have to work. You need to work through your people.Maybe you need to put in an extra pull or re-align your belt. Put that heaver car on a belt that doesn't get hit as hard with that many pieces on one car, and take one of there cars. You have to work together as a team. If your working you are stealing time from union employees, which is not right and is against the contract. Hold the loaders on your belt accountable for loading all of there cars, and if they are getting hit real hard, in the middle of the sort when the flow dies down, go over to another belt and get a loader and have him or her help out on your belt, or just have them run mis-flows or dump them on the return belt. At least that way your walk isle should be a little more cleaner. You as the supervisor have to set the tone on your belt. Im not saying be a prick, just be fair and honest. Don't be little any one, treat them (your loaders) with respect. Just be fair with them. Maybe also you could try re-training them on there belt to car methods. And demonstrate the proper pace that they should be working at. Use a chalk lines. Hopefully some of those tips will help you. Work smart not hard. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I quickly glanced through most of the posts before typing my reply so I apologize upfront if this was already stated and/or discussed but I don't recall seeing it.

Have any of you thought that perhaps UPS simply considers the costs associated with allowing its part-time sups to load to be part of the cost of doing business? These costs that I speak of are the grievances that they may have to pay for hourly work being done by mgt. Paying a grievance to a part-timer may be a better business decision than paying 30-40 drivers that much more in overtime. Just something to think about.