How Often Does Your Center Re-Bid Routes..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So a cover driver wanting any route literally signs his name on 40-50 different sheets? The most routes I've seen up at once was two (retire and feeder).
Not quite. On the annual bid you bid in seniority order at a posted time, you go in the office when it's your turn and sign your name next the route you want out of the ones that are still available.

How do you handle guys on disability/feeder drivers that bounce back and forth, and their ability to bid?
I've never seen a feeder bump a package car driver. We don't have a ton of feeder runs out of our building. One run got permanently cut. He worked inside for a bit, then he took the customer counter bid.

BlackCat

I've never seen a feeder bump a package car driver. We don't have a ton of feeder runs out of our building. One run got permanently cut. He worked inside for a bit, then he took the customer counter bid.

I probably wasn't clear.

You said that the bid sheet was up for two weeks.

What happens if a guy is on disability or a rookie feeder driver who bounces back and forth from feeder to package.

What if they are not there to sign the sheet?

We had a guy out on disability who came back and noticed a guy beneath him in seniority had won a bid on a route that he (supposedly) wanted. He was able to get the route re-bid and then had the guy with less seniority pay him not to sign up for the route.

I probably wasn't clear.

What happens if a guy is on disability or a rookie feeder driver who bounces back and forth from feeder to package.

We had a guy out on disability who came back and noticed a guy beneath him in seniority had won a bid on a route that he (supposedly) wanted. He was able to get the route re-bid and then had the guy with less seniority pay him not to sign up for the route.
The bid sheet is up for two weeks so that the package car drivers can view the routes. We only have one driver that bounces back and forth. He bids his package car route and runs that when he isn't covering feeders

542thruNthru

I probably wasn't clear.

That's would never happen here. I believe we even have language that says if you're on disability your out of luck.

What kind of prick complains to rebid the route and than makes the guy pay him not to take it?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's crazy. Can't even imagine that. It has to be chaos. It's chaos here when 2 routes are put up. I'm so thankful routes are permanent here. Could not imagine routes being bid every year
Nah, it's nice to have options especially once you get some time in. In feeders we bid twice a year and I like that even better.

Faceplanted

Used to be every 2, now it's every 3. Heard ups was shooting for 5 for us

Feeders is every 1 year

Glad I got a fairly sweet route

Rookie tip for new guys, only bid on routes where the ex route driver was a guy who followed methods and took their whole lunch every day. It makes a huge difference

ManInBrown

Used to be every 2, now it's every 3. Heard ups was shooting for 5 for us

Feeders is every 1 year

Glad I got a fairly sweet route

Rookie tip for new guys, only bid on routes where the ex route driver was a guy who followed methods and took their whole lunch every day. It makes a huge difference
Yup. A runner gunner here bid off his route to something different. He had 45 pickups on his old route. Called every customer every day. Ended up only going to about 10 pickups a day. When the new driver took over they wanted to know why he wasn't done at 5 every day like the runner gunner.

Faceplanted

Yup. A runner gunner here bid off his route to something different. He had 45 pickups on his old route. Called every customer every day. Ended up only going to about 10 pickups a day. When the new driver took over they wanted to know why he wasn't done at 5 every day like the runner gunner.
Had a route exactly like that in my center. Driver did 80 stops and 20 or so pu for years, runner bids on route and after a year or two and a cut route he was doing 120 stops and 35-40pu all because he would call all his pu and only do 10 or so. Every time I covered the route I had missed pu and del, sup road with me one day and said how the hell is it even possible to do the route.

I don't understand why u would rather call than do the pu.... especially since its easy money

Last edited:

oldupsman

That's crazy. Can't even imagine that. It has to be chaos. It's chaos here when 2 routes are put up. I'm so thankful routes are permanent here. Could not imagine routes being bid every year

What chaos? Here's the list of routes. Number 1 on the list chooses his route. That route is off the list. Number 2 is up.
He chooses his route. It's off the list. And so on down the list. Where's the chaos? You simply follow the SENIORITY
list.