How Often Does Your Center Re-Bid Routes..

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't know how you can stand it. I run nearly 30 different routes. I bid cover for the purpose of variety (and to avoid the city routes as much as possible).

It gets old after a while. I used to like to run different routes all the time but eventually settled down on a long term route.

JL 0513

You may never realize your route sucks that way. When I do bid a route, I'll know exactly which ones to bid. There's numerous guys in my center that don't want the change and stay on crappy routes. There's even a 30 year driver suffering in the ghetto. I've done his route and it's one of the worst out of our 45 routes. On the other hand, there's seniority routes that aren't all that great. Depends on preferences though.

JL 0513

It gets old after a while. I used to like to run different routes all the time but eventually settled down on a long term route.

I get that. When I have enough seniority to bid a route that I wouldn't mind running everyday, then I will. I have so much area knowledge that on most days, I'm running a route I know without thinking anyway. Most days I'm running desirable residential splits or covering routes bid by 20 and 30 year drivers on vacation.

jaker

trolling
Where I am at in pkg it's your route until you bid off

While transition to feeder it's your route until you make bid in feeder which takes a couple of years even though you might spend the whole time in feeder

Feeder bids every year

ManInBrown

You may never realize your route sucks that way. When I do bid a route, I'll know exactly which ones to bid. There's numerous guys in my center that don't want the change and stay on crappy routes. There's even a 30 year driver suffering in the ghetto. I've done his route and it's one of the worst out of our 45 routes. On the other hand, there's seniority routes that aren't all that great. Depends on preferences though.
I covered 70% of the routes in my center, before I got this one. I'm fine with it. It's not the best, and not the worst.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What chaos? Here's the list of routes. Number 1 on the list chooses his route. That route is off the list. Number 2 is up.
He chooses his route. It's off the list. And so on down the list. Where's the chaos? You simply follow the SENIORITY
list.

The fun begin when a senior driver decides he needs a change of scenery.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I can't believe there's areas that bid for life (with option to bid off). Who would ever want the same route until retirement?

In my local, every route goes up for bid every 2 years in April. The list simply goes out starting with the highest seniority driver. He bids, the list moves to #2 minus one route. Plain and simple the way it's supposed to be.
It never works like that. Newer guys bid the crap routes so they have some stability. As the older guys retire those get snatched up. A lot of guys cover for years until something desirable comes up. We had 20 year cover drivers just waiting for a good bid to come up.

Makes things nice because on the management side we don't have to worry about a bunch of guys on new routes every year or two, and it makes guys think a little bit more before bidding.

A bid doesn't have to come up every year or two. Just because it is that way where you are doesn't mean it has to be that way. I know plenty of guys who would never want to go to a yearly bid.