How Often Does Your Center Re-Bid Routes..

Cementups

Box Monkey
I get that. When I have enough seniority to bid a route that I wouldn't mind running everyday, then I will. I have so much area knowledge that on most days, I'm running a route I know without thinking anyway. Most days I'm running desirable residential splits or covering routes bid by 20 and 30 year drivers on vacation.

The biggest problem with knowing all the routes you know is that even once you bid a route they will still use you to cover routes. My key move when I got my own bid was to bid to another center so I only knew one route and they left me alone.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The biggest problem with knowing all the routes you know is that even once you bid a route they will still use you to cover routes. My key move when I got my own bid was to bid to another center so I only knew one route and they left me alone.

I just developed selective amnesia.

JL 0513

I've noticed this to be sometimes true. There's a guy in my center that knows 90% of the center's routes who has had his own bid route for a few years and still has to cover on occasion even though we have about 8 cover drivers. Not sure what the point of having a bid route in this situation.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've noticed this to be sometimes true. There's a guy in my center that knows 90% of the center's routes who has had his own bid route for a few years and still had to cover on occasion even though we have about 8 cover drivers. Not sure what the point of having a bid route in this situation.

I really don't remember if it was in the Master or our supplement, but if you are bumped off your bid route, no one less senior than you can run yours without your permission.

Problem solved.

oldupsman

See now in my local that just wasn't allowed. Your route was your route. If you wanted to be a nice guy and help
management out for a day or week and run a route you knew you could. But they couldn't force you too. That was a job for
a cover driver or new guy. And it was their job to train them on that route. Not my problem.

rod

Retired 22 years
We bid for life unless the route was changed more than 50% or unless someone retired. I basically had the same route for over 25 years.

ManInBrown

Not here. You're a bid driver. That's it. My route is in, no one is running it but me. You needing a route covered that I might know, isn't my problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've noticed this to be sometimes true. There's a guy in my center that knows 90% of the center's routes who has had his own bid route for a few years and still has to cover on occasion even though we have about 8 cover drivers. Not sure what the point of having a bid route in this situation.

The point is that your mgt team is too lazy to go out and train any of those 8 cover drivers and find it easier to "force" that guy to jump.

All he has to do is say "no" and they will then be forced to train someone else.

Overpaid Union Thug

The point is that your mgt team is too lazy to go out and train any of those 8 cover drivers and find it easier to "force" that guy to jump.

All he has to do is say "no" and they will then be forced to train someone else.
That's how it SHOULD be done but they force unbid drivers onto routes they don't want because of so called "knowledge issues." Weak contract language is why. Luckily they can't force bid drivers in that situation but they do ask. I, or someone else, usually files on that because it just helps continue the problem by allowing it to happen. That problem is On Cars refusing to, or not being permitted to, train drivers. Or allow them roll bind.

542thruNthru

Didn't your center go thru this a little while back? I remember a co-worker of yours coming on here with this problem. Did all he have to do is say no? Just curious if it was that simple.

JL 0513

Every year we have new on car sups. This means that they're useless in training drivers on routes as they are just as blind. Out of the 30 or so routes I've learned/done, a sup has only rode with me twice. It's all blind. Thank God for Google Maps. With it, I can go on just about any route blind and not be paid over by much.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Lifetime bids in my facility, thank God. I got my route after driving for only 3 years. Original guy had 25 years of driving seniority and was able to go to carwash full time. Route went up for bid and none of the 35 other drivers before me wanted it. I was happy to take it. I like coming in with 100% certainty that I'll be working and knowing where I'll be. Industrial route with heavy business and heavy pickups but the residential is absolute cake. Only part I miss about floating is seeing the different women on other routes lol. I'm glad we don't rebid annually or biannually like some of you guys centers. I'd probably lose my route to some of those more senior cover drivers who regretted not taking a route.

Mlody

I can't believe there's areas that bid for life (with option to bid off). Who would ever want the same route until retirement?

In my local, every route goes up for bid every 2 years in April. The list simply goes out starting with the highest seniority driver. He bids, the list moves to #2 minus one route. Plain and simple the way it's supposed to be.
We bid (for life) or if a different route opens up (fired, retirement, feeders) and I have enough seniority I just bid on it