How should company fix peak problems?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
**This is my first post, so I made it count. -CA service provider.

Obviously, nothing could have been done differently to avoid this year's service disaster, and that's entirely Corporate Management's fault.

Since 2006, our impersonal and disconnected brood of witches in Corporate, have maintained a slash and bash mentality in regards to the operations. Routes were cut, feeder runs erased and entire sorts were disbanded. Not to mention the most important asset to our company, OUR PEOPLE, have been forced to separate from the the culture that we once valued and protected, prior to our current CEO and his lackies.

We have not proportionately expanded our capacities, as our volume has demanded, since the national economy rebounded years ago. Instead of expanding capacities, they've increased productivity demands in all facets. How much flow can a preload handle, regardless of PAS? How much physical volume can a package car hold, regardless of technological advances that supposedly make the delivery driver an unskilled worker? It's simple physics: you cannot fit 2 lbs of :censored2: in a 1 lb bag.

Regardless of the spike in volume in the last week of peak, there is nothing that can be said other than the corporate plan was flacid and inadequate. Don't we have millions of dollars in technology that is supposed to project volume forecasts and spikes? I know that we have thousands of men and women in brown that were forecasting this disaster, beginning in January '13, as volume capacities in our package cars were maxed from day 1, but, as usual, our input was never sought.

The solution to this problem is complex, but it has a simple beginning: remove the corporate managers who have been instilled since '06 and return to the primary objective of delivering goods with an aura of service. Return to treating our workers as partners and not liabilities and own our customers' loyalty by exceeding their expectations. We will continue to fail in Peak as long as the regular year's workloads are maximized to run at peak proportions and corporate continues to ignore the fact the fact that they are burning out the operation.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
There is no reason why people should still be driving manual 8 cubes from 1980. The trucks are not only hell on the body they are straight up not safe. Greed is the only reason they are still here. I can understand wanting to Get every single penny out of everything we have but not when it becomes unsafe. New trucks not only making doing the job easier year round but it makes the driver much more efficient at his job.

New trucks are also more fuel efficient. I'm sick of hearing about how costly labor is. Fuel is the #1 expense and everyone wants to cut back on labor. Greedy decisions are never cost effective when you get the big picture.

oldngray

nowhere special
New trucks are also more fuel efficient. I'm sick of hearing about how costly labor is. Fuel is the #1 expense and everyone wants to cut back on labor. Greedy decisions are never cost effective when you get the big picture.

New trucks are not always more fuel efficient. When I went from an old P10 to one of newer ones I lost around 1-2 mpg. The new truck was heavier (almost 2000 pounds more) which was surprising when looking at how weak the construction was. The main reason for upgrade was everything was computerized which made it easier to track every detail.

brostalss

New trucks are not always more fuel efficient. When I went from an old P10 to one of newer ones I lost around 1-2 mpg. The new truck was heavier (almost 2000 pounds more) which was surprising when looking at how weak the construction was. The main reason for upgrade was everything was computerized which made it easier to track every detail.

You have a point with the new trucks. BUT, they are more comfortable. Try 400+ stops in the old :censored2:boxes with no power steering and four speed manual. That seat sucked. Digging into the middle of your back a few hours in. Those clutches required super powers to push in. My knee was done by noon.

kingOFchester

You have a point with the new trucks. BUT, they are more comfortable. Try 400+ stops in the old :censored2:boxes with no power steering and four speed manual. That seat sucked. Digging into the middle of your back a few hours in. Those clutches required super powers to push in. My knee was done by noon.
Having enough trucks would help. Having a few spare trucks would help. Have trucks that aren't red tagged half their life. Having a seasoned, seniority driver delivering out of a rental truck is not efficient use of his skills. Several drivers were driving uhauls doing 30% less then they were doing before they had their package cars pulled.

Packmule

Here are my suggestions on how to fix our problem with Christmas overload.
1. Keep a sufficient number of drivers and vehicles on the road throughout the year to handle the job efficiently--even when there are unexpected absences.
2. Hire 20% more seasonal temp drivers that we currently do, and bring them on in early November. This keeps hours for all under control for all, while making it worth the temp driver's time to be here. Also reduces stress, accidents and injuries.
3. Allow drivers to decide how long to use their helpers, as giving them plenty of hours in less intense times give them time to become more proficient and encourages them to stay on to the end and come back the next year.
4. The last week before Christmas, eliminate all residential next day air time of day commits. This frees up thousands of hours nationally and allow drivers to be vastly more productive by staying on trace.
5. Christmas Eve, cancel all commercial deliveries except those customers who call ahead and guarantee they will be open till at least 5:00 pm. This gets tons of dead weight out of the cars so drivers can focus on Christmas packages going to residential.
6. Place caps on the number of NDA packages we will accept from shippers for Christmas Eve delivery. First come, first served. If not caps on numbers, then amend our guarantee to "best we can do" after so many.

In the end, it is a given that the world has changed and online holiday shipping is here to stay in a big way for the foreseeable future. And the more there are terror attacks and Black Friday nightmares, the more people will avoid it and go online, but we will never be able to pull thousands more drivers, trucks, airplanes, and sorters/hubs out of thin air for the last 3 days to please procrastinators and the big shippers who promise to appease them at our expense.
Just my thoughts.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

Perhaps I misspoke. My point was simply that fuel is the #1 expense rather than labor. I am just sick & tired of people who have never done my job saying I make too much money. IMHO spend more money on labor by hiring more workers & improving part-time pay, updating old buildings & equipment, and less on stupid greedy pocket-lining-for-the-few corporate decisions.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
My reply before this all gets "too old". My last peak is behind me as I am retiring in a few months. A lot of your entries are spot on. 6 Months ago, I posted how bad last peak was. This year, because of many "unforseen occurrences" it was even worse. When the people at the top encourage IE's unrealistic numbers, this system is set up to fail. Throw in bad weather in some Geographic areas and heavy last minute shippers, you have a disaster. I'm surprised it took this long to happen! Will corporate take this opportunity to fix it, as many have suggested or will they just let it ride since it appears the stock price was not negatively effected. I have a feeling UPS will choose the ladder. This being the case, how long will they be able to get away with it? 1 year, 5years, or 10? At some point, as history as shown us, this will backfire on the company. That effects all of us, current employees and retirees, management and hourlies. I'm afraid this new low level of service is the new normal at "todays UPS". The $20,000.00 question is when will UPS get realistic? Hopefully for all our sake, this will be sooner rather than later...

JL 0513

I get about 7 MPG in my 1987 POS. I have to put 15 gallons in everyday. It costs more to gas this PC than it does to pay the helper in the passenger seat, hour for hour. That's sad.

How can we expect peak problems to be fixed when UPS insists on running trucks into the ground? Having us continue driving unsafe, non-power steering, 4 speed, high step PC's. All this safety talk everyday and we're in trucks killing our bodies. What I mean is, if UPS will not even invest in enough everyday trucks less than 20 years old, then there will never be enough resources to run peak effectively.

How about parking all of these '80's PC's 11 months out of the year, running them just enough to keep the fluids moving. When December comes, fill them up with seasonal's. No reason for seniority guys to be in them all year.

TheFigurehead

Will corporate take this opportunity to fix it, as many have suggested or will they just let it ride since it appears the stock price was not negatively effected. I have a feeling UPS will choose the ladder. This being the case, how long will they be able to get away with it? 1 year, 5years, or 10? At some point, as history as shown us, this will backfire on the company. That effects all of us, current employees and retirees, management and hourlies. I'm afraid this new low level of service is the new normal at "todays UPS". The $20,000.00 question is when will UPS get realistic? Hopefully for all our sake, this will be sooner rather than later...

UPS will never "get realistic"... at least in my opinion. UPS is no longer in the shipping business... it is in the business of enriching it's shareholders, at any cost, until it's been bled dry and cast aside. The problem with shareholders is that they are looking to make the most amount of money in the shortest period of time, then sell us off. They aren't in it to make UPS a great company. They aren't in it so that we can assure another 100 years of great service. They are in it until they find some other host to feed off of that promises more riches faster. Think of them like the aliens from "Independence Day" (or any other alien movie)... they move in, suck out every last resource and move on. Only, unlike the movie, we failed to stop the invasion and we're going to pay the price.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I was burnt out this summer! This has been the worst year yet for excessive overtime.
I was doing a different route everyday up until 3 weeks before christmas.
Sure is awesome learning a new route in the dark with excessive deliveries!

Our building is almost 30 years old. From what I've been told we overgrew it's capacity within 5 years after it was built. Now we have rollers going everywhere to accommodate vehicles that cannot fit on or in the building... That thats year round. This peak we didn't have enough room on our property for all the vehicles. The employee parking lot was maxed beyond capacity.

You think all these billions they've wasted on telematics and bad EDD and the other worthless programs that don't help us they could have built a few new buildings.

But I truly don't care. I have no pride. It bothers me not if I have 100 missed at the end of my day. I just show up, drive a brown truck, give people boxes and then cash my paycheck! As long as my paycheck is good I don't really care how much UPS fails or who they piss off.

What I am hearing from your post is the frustration I felt coming just before leaving Package for Feeders. Drivers aren't empowered anymore to treat "their" routes as their own Business (in the same way Center Managers used to be able to run their Center as it's own business). Now you are beholden to Orion/PAS/whatever flavor of the day and answer to other people who aren't empowered and so on and so on.

Feeders hasn't fallen quite so far into the abyss probably because we have more Federal regulation and try as they might you really can't shave all that much time off of a run.

In the West we have new language that allows the Union to address the Center plan in relation to the 9.5 issue. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Part of why I became a Steward long, long ago was to affect change where I could. My suggestion to you is to perhaps modify the Serenity prayer (pardon the religion, I'm not religious but this has value):
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
to also allow you the patience to wait for change that may come.
Keep your head up Brother.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This points to the same problem that almost every company has.
People at the top never get a true picture of how new implementations are working.
Scott and Kurt actually think that ORION and other technologies are getting the results that are reported.
The actual numbers are not reported but usually hinted at.
Management at the next layer below Management Committee spin and hide the actuals to make themselves look better because not meeting the pre-established goals associated with the technology investment is considered a failure on their part.
Maybe they should read browncafe every now and then.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The solution is simple. I'm baffled by those who want to reduce and restrict volume and business.
The problems experienced this year were all about capacity. Capacity can be fixed. More casuals need to be trained and ready (and vacant perm FT driver jobs need to be filled). The other capacity issue was cramming too much air through Worldport. If Worldport can't be sufficiently expanded, a second "air clearinghouse" could be setup. Yes it is an investment, but growth is good.

JL 0513

The solution is simple. I'm baffled by those who want to reduce and restrict volume and business.
The problems experienced this year were all about capacity. Capacity can be fixed. More casuals need to be trained and ready (and vacant perm FT driver jobs need to be filled). The other capacity issue was cramming too much air through Worldport. If Worldport can't be sufficiently expanded, a second "air clearinghouse" could be setup. Yes it is an investment, but growth is good.

It's easier said then done. The problem with this type of business where you double volume during about 3 weeks out of the 52 in a year is what happens to all the equipment and facilities and workers for the other 49 weeks. UPS already goes through the painstaking process of hiring many thousands of extra workers each December just to turn around and drop 'em like flies.

My everyday package car is 27 years old. Do you really think UPS would invest in thousands of extra trucks to sit around for 11 months a year? This is why they use rentals but delivering out of a Budget truck is lousy. Fixing the air problem - sure, we'll just buy a few dozen more planes just for December. No problem. Not to mention the vast wasted facilities if huge expansions occurred just to handle 3-4 peak weeks a year.

The better strategy is to better control the situation. Place a greater premium on air shipping during peak. Give people a reason to shop early. Perhaps even offer shipping discounts in November. People make decisions based on costs. It would work to spread peak out. And obviously better strategies between Amazon (and others) and UPS must be made. Amazon cannot except millions of air orders the week of Christmas. They need to set limits and be realistic with delivery estimates during peak.

dqs95124

Hoaxster, in regard to Amazon I'm reminded of why a friend of mine said he wouldn't sell to Costco. Costco demanded that he meet certain volume requirements and accept returns for any reason. He said that if Costco wanted to they would terminate the agreement leaving him with the additional product and expanded manufacturing facilities with no one to sell to. I think UPS is big enough and has a good plan to reduce our size (which we unfortunately were able to fully implement during the Great Recession) if we were to tell Amazon to take a hike. It doesn't seem like Fedex would be able to do that as efficiently. Perhaps the answer lies in returning to our roots of small Mom & Pop garage businesses and stealing customers away from USPS that use the flat rate BS for eBay shipments. I hear lots of complaints about our high prices, maybe they wouldn't be as high if we weren't just breaking even on Amazon. Well, at least I'd like to think they wouldn't be...

dqs95124

If all the pkg I del to USPS was in our system. We would have more drivers, trucks, helpers. I look at the sure post pkgs. although they are getting bigger. No 150 lbs there. But I del on the same st. What am I missing, why do I del 50 to 100 pkgs there a day? I make a pnt of looking where they are going, when I scan. I can del at least 1/4 of those nice light pkgs.