How to find a steward?

whiskers

I've read many times here on BC that you should never go into the office without a steward present, or "ask for a steward to be present".
On the shift that I work we very rarely see the main building steward, and when we do (maybe 3 times a year) they don't try to help us with union issues or contract violations. There is a driver steward that we see on a regular basis, but he does just comes in and clocks out, does not talk to any part-timers. I've asked my sup to "please get me a steward to speak with" and was told that none are available but when the center manager gets in he will find me, he did and gave me the worse yelling i've ever seen anyone get because he thought i was wanting to file on something, he never even found out why i wanted to speak with a steward. Even when someone receives discipline the sups just get another part-timer to sit in as a steward (usually a person with little to no knowledge of the contract).

Is management supposed to get a steward for you when you ask?

menotyou

bella amicizia
It us YOUR right for representation. UPS does not provide it for you. You have the right to DEMAND a steward. Do so!!!

packageguy

I've read many times here on BC that you should never go into the office without a steward present, or "ask for a steward to be present".
On the shift that I work we very rarely see the main building steward, and when we do (maybe 3 times a year) they don't try to help us with union issues or contract violations. There is a driver steward that we see on a regular basis, but he does just comes in and clocks out, does not talk to any part-timers. I've asked my sup to "please get me a steward to speak with" and was told that none are available but when the center manager gets in he will find me, he did and gave me the worse yelling i've ever seen anyone get because he thought i was wanting to file on something, he never even found out why i wanted to speak with a steward. Even when someone receives discipline the sups just get another part-timer to sit in as a steward (usually a person with little to no knowledge of the contract).

Is management supposed to get a steward for you when you ask?

call your union hall, let them know that there is no union rep, or steward to help with the problems. You guys should vote for a steward on the preload.

upsset

National Master agreement, article 4 page 14 3rd paragraph "The Employer recognizes the employee's right tobe given requested representation by a Steward, or designated alternate, at such time as the employee reasonably contemplates disciplinary action"

"When requested by the Union or the employee, there shall be a Steward present whenever the Employer meets with an employee concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews. In such cases, the meeting shall not be continued until the Steward or alternate steward is present.