How's North Carolina TEST STATION doing??

Maui

Isn’t that kinda the whole point? If Express doesn’t cut hours with this it’d be a waste of time. The mileage savings are small compared to wages.
Cutting hours does not equal ending Express or PT only workforce.

It is fewer routes. Smaller planes and possibly fewer flight lanes. OT should be reduced as hours are spread among people that remain.

People leave all the time from retirement, resignation, and termination. Some won’t be back-filled.

Serf

If an average full time day route in the Northeast has 80-100 deliveries & Pickups/oncalls. When 2/3 day resi goes to ground, how many 2/3 day business parcels could possibly be on that route? 5-10?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If an average full time day route in the Northeast has 80-100 deliveries & Pickups/oncalls. When 2/3 day resi goes to ground, how many 2/3 day business parcels could possibly be on that route? 5-10?
I just looked at my P2. With Ground taking P2 I would literally lose 75% of what I have today.

Serf

Bet you won't see much hiring in the near future. As people leave routes will expand. And then, eventually, you'll be pressed for time because of the area you have to cover.
Thought about that too. My wingman is close to retirement. I could inherit his territory. Collapse a route. Feasible.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Isn’t that kinda the whole point? If Express doesn’t cut hours with this it’d be a waste of time. The mileage savings are small compared to wages.

Send a $20/hour courier home an hour earlier and give 5 of his packages to Ground, and your profit per package goes up by a couple of bucks just from that alone. There are also the costs associated with handling and transport once it leaves the ramp that are reduced. Extrapolated across the domestic operation, it's real money.

59 Dano

Cutting hours does not equal ending Express or PT only workforce.

It is fewer routes. Smaller planes and possibly fewer flight lanes. OT should be reduced as hours are spread among people that remain.

People leave all the time from retirement, resignation, and termination. Some won’t be back-filled.

There are people on this forum thrive on drama and ignorance. There is freight that is virtually unprofitable for Express and measures are being taken to make some of that freight profitable. People need to realize that the cuts are being made with a pocketknife, not a chainsaw.

vantexan

How much of that was shipped within a 2 day’s drive? The diversion is starting at the origin station so any 2 day volume that actually has to fly into your station you guys would still get.
Most of what Express delivers is flown in, then trucked to stations from ramps. If they are putting a different URSA code on Ground pkgs then they will be in separate containers, ready to take off plane and loaded on a Ground truck. Since this is typically 2 day or 3 day service it shouldn't be a problem to get them over to Ground in time.

59 Dano

That’d be a lot of work. I’m curious if there are any projections we have access to, but probably not.

The info for Express employees is all over the place. Don't know why so many are confused at this point.

It will begin with intra-market resi freight (minus the exceptions already mentioned) and will eventually expand to resi freight (minus the exceptions) that can be trucked from the origin ramp. The last mile is part of the equation. Keeping the freight out of the air network is the other.

It will be fine

Most of what Express delivers is flown in, then trucked to stations from ramps. If they are putting a different URSA code on Ground pkgs then they will be in separate containers, ready to take off plane and loaded on a Ground truck. Since this is typically 2 day or 3 day service it shouldn't be a problem to get them over to Ground in time.
I thought the plan was to divert the freight before it got to the planes. I imagine eventually they will do both but I think the current plan is to divert at the origin point. I don’t know anything about the cost of flying freight but I’m sure it’s cheaper to toss as much on trucks as possible.

59 Dano

The freight will be trucked from the origin station. They aren't putting it on planes.