HR not following policy on hiring relatives

HaulinCube

I worked in 2012 and 2013 during peak as a helper and a loader. In 2014 I became a temp driver and drove from July until January of 2015. At the end of this time, all temp drivers had the option to go onto the local sort, however I did not. I was told it was because my cousin was in management in the center, however UPS clearly states that a cousin is not considered a relative. How can this still be an issue, and what steps should I take to resolve this? Thanks

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I worked in 2012 and 2013 during peak as a helper and a loader. In 2014 I became a temp driver and drove from July until January of 2015. At the end of this time, all temp drivers had the option to go onto the local sort, however I did not. I was told it was because my cousin was in management in the center, however UPS clearly states that a cousin is not considered a relative. How can this still be an issue, and what steps should I take to resolve this? Thanks

That's a little different. If he's in management in the center you're trying to drive in, it could be seen as him playing favorites if anything ever happened

UPSGUY72

First of all UPS doesn't have to hire you period. Second of all I find it hard to believe someone in HR or someone in management told you that you didn't get hired because your cousin was in management. Third and final they hired you as temp help during peak for two years so what you say doesn't really make any sense.

You every think you didn't get hired on as permanent employee could be because either they already filled the position that was open or you just weren't the the next best thing to sliced bread that they where looking for.

If you want to work for UPS go online to UPSjobs . com and apply when there is an opening in the building you want to work in.

Last edited:

Notretiredyet

Years ago it was an issue, now we've got brothers cousins and even a mom and her son just in our center. Sometimes in the morning meeting I swear there's banjos playing.

You have no recourse

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is no policy that states a cousin is or is not a relative.
The policy is that UPS carefully considers the hiring of relatives.
It sounds like they carefully considered you and decided not to hire you.
You can try for employment at another location
Or
Wait for your cousin to get transferred to another location.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There was a feeder driver in my department who married a part time supervisor, also in my department. They moved her to the hub. They got divorced and they moved her back into my department. It works both ways, cause she could affect his hours, if she had a mind to after they divorced.

Mr.Golden

Based off my center it seems the HR doesn't care who they hires. I've seen all types families working here like....brother and brother, father and son, and also husband and wife. Seems like they just need a "warm body" to fill in those spaces.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

They can choose to not hire you if they feel there is a conflict. Just because the policy says they can hire you, doesn't mean they will.

I don't like the idea of a sibling or close relative working for another. The PT Sup that had my sort before I took over had her sibling apply. Was on easy street. She was gone within 2 weeks of me taking over. She couldn't keep up with the pace that was required of everybody.

browntroll

this is the one thing i hate about my hub. i saw a few guys bring in relatives who somehow managed to skip the seniority process of starting
in the unload and i have to look at them as they bump me from pickoff positions or scanning. i had asked to go to a pick off position once and they told
me i need 10 years of seniority but they let some drivers nephew do it after 4 months with the company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
this is the one thing i hate about my hub. i saw a few guys bring in relatives who somehow managed to skip the seniority process of starting
in the unload and i have to look at them as they bump me from pickoff positions or scanning. i had asked to go to a pick off position once and they told
me i need 10 years of seniority but they let some drivers nephew do it after 4 months with the company.

Get up! Stand up! Stand up for your rights!