Hub Expansions & new Hubs.....

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Making America great again by eliminating more jobs.

I'm not sure where the other poster got his info but they aren't cutting 75% of inside jobs.

My building had some cuts for the part-time employees at first but after a few months the new employee tours we're back in full swing.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Why is that?
Ya why is that. Why would we get that volume back? I agree New york was a big hit

reliability and service i think, i'm not high enough in the illuminati circles to know the real reason

I'm not sure where the other poster got his info but they aren't cutting 75% of inside jobs.

My building had some cuts for the part-time employees at first but after a few months the new employee tours we're back in full swing.

yah give it 5-10 years for the full effect

Wait, I've been told volume is down over and over, maybe they are adding Subway's and Burger Kings.

lower in some places and lower than projected, but not down over LY

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
yah give it 5-10 years for the full effect

How you ever been in an automated building? Unless they bring in robots there aren't many other ways to cut out jobs.

Only the sorting and pick-off jobs are truly done away with and some of those are made up with by the need of tenders, a few extra clerks and extra people doing irregs. More packages are now considered irregs and someone has to take each one from the train and scan it into the load because loaders don't use scanners anymore.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How you ever been in an automated building? Unless they bring in robots there aren't many other ways to cut out jobs.

Only the sorting and pick-off jobs are truly done away with and some of those are made up with by the need of tenders, a few extra clerks and extra people doing irregs. More packages are now considered irregs and someone has to take each one from the train and scan it into the load because loaders don't use scanners anymore.
have you ever seen an automated unload and smalls?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
have you ever seen an automated unload and smalls?

I've seen the tilt tray system in smalls but no automated unload.

I know there have been videos of robots unloading but I'll believe that when I see it. If our unloaders we're making a decent wage maybe, but at $12 an hour there would be no ROI.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I've seen the tilt tray system in smalls but no automated unload.

I know there have been videos of robots unloading but I'll believe that when I see it. If our unloaders we're making a decent wage maybe, but at $12 an hour there would be no ROI.
it cost justifies under 5 years easily

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Have you ever unloaded?

One of the most important things an unloader does is make sure damaged packages are not put into the system. Wait until you witness what a few open boxes can do to these automated hubs...Not pretty.

There is no way one of these unloaders could come close to turning a door as fast as I used to when I unloaded. A machine dealing with open/damaged packages, hazmat packages, pallets, shrink wrap and gaylord boxes will be a massive waste of $$.

On top of that you will still need someone to operate/babysit these machines and sweep finished trailers. So in reality you might cut 1/2 of your unloaders but have to add back in extra $$ for added maintenance personnel and parts.

Anyone signing off on this should be fired. There are a lot of cheaper issues UPS could address with a much higher ROI.

robot

Has A Large Member
In Arlington tx, addition of a new 1.1 million sq foot Hub. The Mesquite hub is supposed to be expanded to double the current 400,000 Sq feet to 800,000 sq feet.
What is happening with new hubs or expansions in other parts of the country?

Heard a rumor they aren’t going to open this Arlington hub. Since all the hubs around were able to handle the volume this peak. Anybody got any info?

Dingo

The original Atlanta Hub off Fulton Industrial will be replaced by a new one a few miles down the road that will be the third largest Hub in the country. I work out of the Forest Park Hub, they spent eight million bucks last year adding on to it. Still no car wash building since it was built in 1991.
I heard we are going to keep it open. Take some package from Peepeedale, Forest Park, and Roswell. We could easily run some Forest Park routes from there. See ya at SMAGA in 6 months Scratch.

muthatrucka

In Arlington tx, addition of a new 1.1 million sq foot Hub. The Mesquite hub is supposed to be expanded to double the current 400,000 Sq feet to 800,000 sq feet.
What is happening with new hubs or expansions in other parts of the country?
Our hub isn’t even heated, no chance we will expand any time soon.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I heard we are going to keep it open. Take some package from Peepeedale, Forest Park, and Roswell. We could easily run some Forest Park routes from there. See ya at SMAGA in 6 months Scratch.

I'm at Forest Park and I am thinking about bidding on a country/subdivision route in Fairburn. I'm thinking that FP will lose Union City and Fairburn to the new Atlanta Hub. My sources are telling me that the old Marvin Miller Dr Atlanta Hub will be phased out after completion of the new Hub at 1100 Fulton Industrial Blvd., I don't know yet what it will be called officially. Sometimes I hear that this will be only a sorting Hub with Feeder runs coming out of it. One of the corporate guys that bailed us out said something about 400 routes will be there. So the rumors are all over the place on what will happen when the new Hub opens. Where and what does SMAGA stand for? I'm not up to speed on location acronyms.

I'm at Forest Park and I am thinking about bidding on a country/subdivision route in Fairburn. I'm thinking that FP will lose Union City and Fairburn to the new Atlanta Hub. My sources are telling me that the old Marvin Miller Dr Atlanta Hub will be phased out after completion of the new Hub at 1100 Fulton Industrial Blvd., I don't know yet what it will be called officially. Sometimes I hear that this will be only a sorting Hub with Feeder runs coming out of it. One of the corporate guys that bailed us out said something about 400 routes will be there. So the rumors are all over the place on what will happen when the new Hub opens. Where and what does SMAGA stand for? I'm not up to speed on location acronyms.
I think SMAGA is supposed to be the pnuemonic for new SMART Hub (Southeast Metro Area Routing Terminal) a.k.a. new Atlanta Hub. Also called Sandy Creek Hub. From what I understand none of the existing Atlanta area buildings will be closed.

Heard a rumor they aren’t going to open this Arlington hub. Since all the hubs around were able to handle the volume this peak. Anybody got any info?
Arlington is still a go, along with another new building in Dallas area which is going live first. These two new buildings will relieve Mesquite (temporarily) while it goes through an expansion sometime in the future.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
SMAGA is a transportation mnemonic, SMA being an abbreviation for whatever city it's in, GA for Georgia