Hub Rumor: Non-Disclosure Agreement to get COVID pay?

wilberforce15

We have some guys who have been sick and are staying out.

Rumors are circulating that a condition of getting the COVID pay is that you sign a non-disclosure agreement, requiring that you not tell other folks about what building you're in, who you work for, etc. to keep stigma away from the company or the building.

Any truth to this?

Of course, I know the company is low enough that they'd try to hide an actual death if it occurred, because that's how they roll with everything else. I just want to know about this particular rumor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What difference would it make?

They want you to stay off of social media so that you don't tell the whole world where you work and why you are sitting at home not working.

Seems like a fairly straightforward request.

wilberforce15

What difference would it make?

They want you to stay off of social media so that you don't tell the whole world where you work and why you are sitting at home not working.

Seems like a fairly straightforward request.

It would make a big fat difference, because UPS would fully intend not to tell the coworkers of an infected person.

As said, if my direct supervisor died of the thing, the company wouldn't even inform me. We already know they are hiding cases in CHEMA.

What difference does it make? Seriously? I have a basic human right not to have a deadly infection in my work area hidden.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In your immediate work area?? Absolutely. In some center in Podunk, KS? No and that is the point. Unfounded rumors cause way more anxiety than the disease itself.

wilberforce15

In your immediate work area?? Absolutely. In some center in Podunk, KS? No and that is the point. Unfounded rumors cause way more anxiety than the disease itself.

What evidence do you have that the company would tell people in the immediate work area of an infected person?

They hid over a dozen cases in CHEMA. It was the union that blew the lid on it.

When you say "absolutely," there is direct evidence to the contrary. UPS will hide whatever they believe they can get away with.

wilberforce15

Would one of those "adjustments" be "not showing up to work" and "telling all of my Facebook friends"?

As a free American, either one of those is my right.

My facebook friends need to know that the company is going to go the entire length of a global pandemic without providing one drop of disinfectant in the hub, while hiding known cases and ignoring distancing. They need to know they cannot trust their packages.

What you can't do is squash all knowledge of a deadly infection from those it could immediately infect.

UPS doesn't care if you, or I, live or die. They only care about what affects revenues and costs. Your death, or my death, just gets them a new cheaper employee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HIPPA has nothing to do with UPS and notifying union. HIPPA is to protect an individuals diagnosis from being public. No one is asking for the individuals name. So HIPPA is an ignorant comment.

Is it? Suppose that we were talking about AIDS rather than Covid-19. Would HIPPA still not apply? (It would as it would be no one's business if one of your co-workers had AIDS.)