Hurricane Matthew!!

guyinthebrownbox

I overheard another employee say one time that if where you live is under a state of emergency that UPS couldn't make you come in. Just overheard him

Anyone else ever heard that or know if there is any truth behind that?

Faceplanted

What a pusillanimous ass storm. This will make people complacent if we ever have another proper hurricane Charley type storm. Good job media!!!

Iv worked in thunderstorms worse....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

c
I overheard another employee say one time that if where you live is under a state of emergency that UPS couldn't make you come in. Just overheard him

Depends upon the level of the state of emergency but, yes, if travel is banned they cannot make you come in.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Sandy probably. Irene hit us on a Saturday afternoon/evening.
I remember driving home from work the morning of Sandy. ...watching trees start falling ajacent to the LIE. By the time I got home...the power was already out and stayed out for 10 days.
It was sandy, NJ turnpike closed at 11 am. I was working preload then and we came in at 3, loaded trucks till 8:30, at 8:40 announcement was made that no routes were going out. Driving the turnpike home, not a soul was on the road. We lost power about 3 pm came back 3 days later

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Yes. When I was a kid growing up in Rhode Island.
A hurricane in Rhode Island is different than a HURRICANE in the southeast. I have been surviving, them 10 miles from the coast, for 36 years. Only one did damage to me by flooding my home. I have never been scared and have always prepared before hand. Should be a Cat 2 when it gets to me. A Cat 3 or high will concern me.

dudebro

In government, "state of emergency " doesn't mean what rational people think it means. Sometimes, all it means is they can have people work authorized overtime or the governor can call the national guard. Travel bans are a different story.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Got a buddy that works at Jax hub. They shut down Thursday evening. No sorts running till Sunday. Not sure about package but they told their feeder guys starting Thursday after noon and later to stay home
300 miles up the coast and my building shut down Wednesday Thur Friday. As of right now, winds are 5 mph and light rain. Is going to be Christmas conditions on Monday.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
In government, "state of emergency " doesn't mean what rational people think it means. Sometimes, all it means is they can have people work authorized overtime or the governor can call the national guard. Travel bans are a different story.
Until there is a curfew, I will do as I please. I will not drive thur water or around barricades.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A hurricane in Rhode Island is different than a HURRICANE in the southeast. I have been surviving, them 10 miles from the coast, for 36 years. Only one did damage to me by flooding my home. I have never been scared and have always prepared before hand. Should be a Cat 2 when it gets to me. A Cat 3 or high will concern me.
Not true. 1635, 1815, 1938, 1954 all had major landfalls in NE. In fact 1938 was the worst disaster in US history up to that point surpassing Galveston 1900 and the S.friend fires.The landfall was so intense it set if seismographs in Alaska

MynameisNeigan

The worst part of this hurricane is that UPS is paying us pay actual instead of the guarantee 8. I don't mind working a short day. But I don't see management taking a pay cut. The shop steward said they will not push for the 8 hour pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The worst part of this hurricane is that UPS is paying us pay actual instead of the guarantee 8. I don't mind working a short day. But I don't see management taking a pay cut. The shop steward said they will not push for the 8 hour pay.

You need to talk to your BA.

Were you given the option of getting the balance of your 8 by working inside the building?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How is a hurricane different in the southeast as compared to the northeast?