Hurricane Matthew!!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Generally by the time it reaches New England it has lost much of it's steam; however, as Sleeve pointed out, there have been major hurricanes that have made direct hits with resulting devastation.

None in your lifetime.

Maybe tropical storms, but no real hurricanes.

JL 0513

The clock is ticking for New England, anyway. There will be a time when a disaster much worse than Katrina happens up this way.

More damaging than Katrina? Possible but very unlikely. We have many homes up here built in the 1700's and 1800's still in nice condition. No catastrophic weather events in modern recorded history. New England is fortunate not get devastating storms. Cat 2 hurricanes is about the biggest.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The clock is ticking for New England, anyway. There will be a time when a disaster much worse than Katrina happens up this way.
It's already started. My hometown had a tornado in 2011 and I remember in 79 another tornado that decimated the air museum that was like an F4 or 5. Sadly, I have a feeling you are right about having a worse disaster.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Hurricane Matthew's aftermath for my area. Center started on Monday. It was like Christmas with no helpers. A lot of 11 hour days and ring a lot of packages back. Trees are down everywhere and a lot of flooded roads. My house and neighborhood has been out of power since Saturday. They hope to have power restored by this Saturday. The backside of the storm is what caused all of the damage. Winds were a constant 65mph for about 6 hours.

Faceplanted

So.... rumor has it some of the local ba are siding with ups saying even though on Thursday we were pulled off the road we are not entitled to our 8hr guarenteee. I understand friday was an act of god, and we are entitled too to nothing but being sent home on Thursday? Are we not entitled to our guarantee?

Can somebody point us to the
right direction in the contract?

Some body went in and changed out pay codes. How is this ok?

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
So.... rumor has it some of the local ba are siding with ups saying even though on Thursday we were pulled off the road we are not entitled to our 8hr guarenteee. I understand friday was an act of god, and we are entitled too to nothing but being sent home on Thursday? Are we not entitled to our guarantee?

Can somebody point us to the
right direction in the contract?

Some body went in and changed out pay codes. How is this ok?

This falls under the heading "you can't win". Half the posters on her were complaining that UPS wouldn't let them off early enough to prepare for Mathew----Now when they do you still want 8 hours pay? This is one of the rare instances I will side with the company on the 8 hour pay thing.

Faceplanted

This falls under the heading "you can't win". Half the posters on her were complaining that UPS wouldn't let them off early enough to prepare for Mathew----Now when they do you still want 8 hours pay? This is one of the rare instances I will side with the company on the 8 hour pay thing.
It's about what the contract says. If they truly did care they would have just told us to stay home like most businesses and schools did. Since they told us to come in I was under the impression that once a full time employee reports to work he is entitled to 8hr. Friday we were off all day, this ovvvuosuly falls under an act of God due to the storm.

That like saying you played with your children's friends who were sick, and you got sick at noon and had to go home for the day. We won't pay your 8hr guarantee because you played with your kids friends.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's about what the contract says. If they truly did care they would have just told us to stay home like most businesses and schools did. Since they told us to come in I was under the impression that once a full time employee reports to work he is entitled to 8hr. Friday we were off all day, this ovvvuosuly falls under an act of God due to the storm.

That like saying you played with your children's friends who were sick, and you got sick at noon and had to go home for the day. We won't pay your 8hr guarantee because you played with your kids friends.

You have a valid point. Once again there are two sides to every story.