I’m a 22 year old 22.4 driver and I feel like quitting. Need advice

rickyb

Hello, I’m 22 years old and have been a 22.4 driver for close to a year now and looking for advice from fellow UPSers

I started working at UPS when I was 18 and was a loader until I turned 21 and became a 22.4 driver. After the grueling 30 day probation and a couple months of driving I thought I’ve really gotten the hang of things and this was going to be the beginning and the end of my working career. Fast forward to a year later I have had no problems being a proficient driver but the physical toll (thus turning into a mental toll) is starting to weigh on me.

I love being a driver with all the good and bad that comes with it but I’m getting to a point where I don’t think my body can take doing 200-220 stops with 300-350 packages 10h avg every day 5-6 days a week. I know this is the norm for a lot of drivers out there but I can’t see myself doing this for years. My lower back and shoulders feel like they’re slowly deteriorating into irreversible damage as the months go on.

I’m conflicted on quitting because although I believe I’m doing fairly well currently financial wise and have no worries about that I feel like I’m throwing away a very good career.

I’m mainly posting this because I’m wondering what my options are going forward. Best case scenario is I’d like to go back to the hub and continue driving part time.

Thank you for reading this far. I hope none of you think I’m just lazy. I believe I’m a very hard worker and that’s what’s even got me this far but I am prioritizing my current and future physical well being.
if ur a nurse you will be in extreme high demand. you will be able to pick and choose your workplace. you will get as much time off to travel as you want. and most importantly you can lv :censored2:hole north america

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Cowboy Mac has some excellent advice. before I read his reply I was wondering if you were a "runner gunner" and not following methods.

you may be luckier than most if you realize now this is not the job for you.

Live life , travel , have some fun.

I worked a couple dozen jobs from age 18-38 and had a lot of fun before starting to work here at age 38. I went right into feeder since I worked different truck driving jobs for a lot of years and was at UPS at the right time for that.

good luck with whatever you decide to do. I tell young people all the time to "listen to your gut"
It's usually right.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hello, I’m 22 years old and have been a 22.4 driver for close to a year now and looking for advice from fellow UPSers

I started working at UPS when I was 18 and was a loader until I turned 21 and became a 22.4 driver. After the grueling 30 day probation and a couple months of driving I thought I’ve really gotten the hang of things and this was going to be the beginning and the end of my working career. Fast forward to a year later I have had no problems being a proficient driver but the physical toll (thus turning into a mental toll) is starting to weigh on me.

I love being a driver with all the good and bad that comes with it but I’m getting to a point where I don’t think my body can take doing 200-220 stops with 300-350 packages 10h avg every day 5-6 days a week. I know this is the norm for a lot of drivers out there but I can’t see myself doing this for years. My lower back and shoulders feel like they’re slowly deteriorating into irreversible damage as the months go on.

I’m conflicted on quitting because although I believe I’m doing fairly well currently financial wise and have no worries about that I feel like I’m throwing away a very good career.

I’m mainly posting this because I’m wondering what my options are going forward. Best case scenario is I’d like to go back to the hub and continue driving part time.

Thank you for reading this far. I hope none of you think I’m just lazy. I believe I’m a very hard worker and that’s what’s even got me this far but I am prioritizing my current and future physical well being.
Slow down and stop being a runner. Anything over 150 stops is automatic 21:00 eta and management will be getting my pickup pieces. This protects me and my safety.
Unfortunately many guys being forced 6 days a week which is outrageous and dangerous to employees.
If your sweating at work your working too hard , including summer.

@MECH-lift dont sweat for anyone
✊🧔

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
That's why I mentioned you here.
I can only point out certain things but I do not have the experience with this situation .
Hopefully you can provide this young man with some guidance based on their personal experience.

Ahoy
In normal times I could confidently offer better advice. But things are far from normal.

In normal times I could confidently offer better advice. But things are far from normal.
The only advice I can give to him if he can stick it out a little bit longer it does get slightly better when you make top rate and have a little bit of seniority and some more paid time off.

But I guess you know the grass isn't always greener on the side of the road

quad decade guy

Slow down and stop being a runner. Anything over 150 stops is automatic 21:00 eta and management will be getting my pickup pieces. This protects me and my safety.
Unfortunately many guys being forced 6 days a week which is outrageous and dangerous to employees.
If your sweating at work your working too hard , including summer.

@MECH-lift dont sweat for anyone
✊🧔
Maybe Nova Scotia(not sweating)....

I'm sorry this statement is devoid of reality. Especially anywhere south of Minnesota....

quad decade guy

Yes there is a lot of jobs out there right now
But you need to take many things into consideration

Number one all jobs suck to some degree or other.

But there is not too many lifetime jobs like you have an opportunity that you have here.

This job is not for everyone that is very true

But you need to look at everything.

Outside of government jobs very few places offer a pension anymore especially if you're part time the number is probably almost zero.

Healthcare that's another thing. Many places offered but usually not for free.

He Is a young guy he has his whole life in front of him but he really needs to think that's through.
He's already 4 years behind.

quad decade guy

Cowboy Mac has some excellent advice. before I read his reply I was wondering if you were a "runner gunner" and not following methods.

you may be luckier than most if you realize now this is not the job for you.

Live life , travel , have some fun.

I worked a couple dozen jobs from age 18-38 and had a lot of fun before starting to work here at age 38. I went right into feeder since I worked different truck driving jobs for a lot of years and was at UPS at the right time for that.

good luck with whatever you decide to do. I tell young people all the time to "listen to your gut"
It's usually right.
Age 38....most likely your life is half over...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Things are going to :censored2:. Construction is stagnating which leaves me stuck with service (which sucks). Housing is so :censored2:ing expensive that moving to facilitate more install opportunities isn't really an option. Now I find myself wishing I just stayed and hoarded as much money as possible to retire at 50 or so, which will probably be here before I know it. But then again, investments are getting so volatile I don't know what to trust and who's to say the system as we know it will still exist in twenty years.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Have some pain, have a couple of strong drinks after work to relax.
Have pains of the job , carry a bottle of pain killers with you.
Still have pains, use stronger drugs.
Drink strong coffee to adjust to shifting work hours.
Sure, many hate the job but where else can they find a great paying job with their limited education.
In no time you'll be in your 30's forever stuck in this constant loop.
But think towards the end and the great pension you'll be getting.

Have some pain, have a couple of strong drinks after work to relax.
Have pains of the job , carry a bottle of pain killers with you.
Still have pains, use stronger drugs.
Drink strong coffee to adjust to shifting work hours.
Sure, many hate the job but where else can they find a great paying job with their limited education.
In no time you'll be in your 30's forever stuck in this constant loop.
But think towards the end and the great pension you'll be getting.
Nobody has a pension anymore

And management will also find that out next year

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Nobody has a pension anymore

And management will also find that out next year

Then the game plan should be adjusted to max out your other options; 401K ( after & before taxes ) , Roth and personal wealth.​

Avoid getting married, once UPS knows you're hitched they know how to squeeze you more and divorces will destroy your monetary future.