I’m a 22 year old 22.4 driver and I feel like quitting. Need advice

rickyb

Yeah....where WW3 is starting....

EU.....Europe......home of communism....yippee.
higher life expectancy, happier ppl, cheaper college

1647199034321.png

Thebrownblob

Hello, I’m 22 years old and have been a 22.4 driver for close to a year now and looking for advice from fellow UPSers

I started working at UPS when I was 18 and was a loader until I turned 21 and became a 22.4 driver. After the grueling 30 day probation and a couple months of driving I thought I’ve really gotten the hang of things and this was going to be the beginning and the end of my working career. Fast forward to a year later I have had no problems being a proficient driver but the physical toll (thus turning into a mental toll) is starting to weigh on me.

I love being a driver with all the good and bad that comes with it but I’m getting to a point where I don’t think my body can take doing 200-220 stops with 300-350 packages 10h avg every day 5-6 days a week. I know this is the norm for a lot of drivers out there but I can’t see myself doing this for years. My lower back and shoulders feel like they’re slowly deteriorating into irreversible damage as the months go on.

I’m conflicted on quitting because although I believe I’m doing fairly well currently financial wise and have no worries about that I feel like I’m throwing away a very good career.

I’m mainly posting this because I’m wondering what my options are going forward. Best case scenario is I’d like to go back to the hub and continue driving part time.

Thank you for reading this far. I hope none of you think I’m just lazy. I believe I’m a very hard worker and that’s what’s even got me this far but I am prioritizing my current and future physical well being.
You do sound Like a hard worker. The corporation is using you’re personal pride in the work you do against you. 200 to 220 stops 300 packages to 350 packages a day is not norm for most drivers, at least not the ones who plan on being here multiple decades. There’s no way you’re being safe doing that many packages and stops a day. This job is just as much mental as it is physical. They say they want you to work by the methods. Use those methods The work methods are your friend. Once you get past the fact that management is playing mental games with you the job becomes much Easier. Don’t get me wrong it’s still physical and if you’re having trouble now it would be best to get your name on the feeders list. I started out with high step trucks, no EDD, no power steering, manual transmissions, A regular key with no key fob, and no GPS LOL never felt it was all that difficult got past the mental aspect. If they decided to set me up to fail I never let them down. this job is more about mental toughness, good luck whatever you decide

DVIR

Slow down. I probably wouldn’t even finish 200 stops by 11:00.
-Use the handrail.
-Use your hand truck.
Work at a safe pace and watch for what is causing your pain. I noticed my knees would ache if i went down the stairs too fast. Now i go a bit slower and have no pain.
-Use a back brace when doing heavy pickups or moving heavy packages.
This job is not easy but if you don’t let management beat you into submission or work unsafe you can get a fair days work for a fair days pay eventually.

PPH_over_9000

Work at a safe pace and watch for what is causing your pain. I noticed my knees would ache if i went down the stairs too fast. Now i go a bit slower and have no pain.

So this really stood out to me, because recently I realized the DIAD 6 is forcing me to go excruciatingly slow when I pull up to a stop in the country or deep in the woods. Stop the car, grab the DIAD and... frozen. So now I have to wait about a minute and a half to restart and get back to the login screen, and then another minute or so for the delivery app to fully load. It's really not much time at all, to be honest, but when you have to do it 80 times a day those minutes really start to add up.

It's the most irritating thing, but the bright side? I communicate every time the DIAD acts up on me, and my Saturday route has slowly gone from ~180 stops to about 110 with the same amount of miles.

I've also noticed that I come home with so much energy now. It's weird, man, but like MECH-LIFT said earlier in the thread: Make UPS work for you. Work through the obstacles that the company puts in your way but don't ever panic and feel like it's your problem, because at the end of the day it almost never is. Fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

quad decade guy

Things are going to :censored2:. Construction is stagnating which leaves me stuck with service (which sucks). Housing is so :censored2:ing expensive that moving to facilitate more install opportunities isn't really an option. Now I find myself wishing I just stayed and hoarded as much money as possible to retire at 50 or so, which will probably be here before I know it. But then again, investments are getting so volatile I don't know what to trust and who's to say the system as we know it will still exist in twenty years.

Very few people retire at 50. Most past 62....more like 65. Most.

I bought my house 5 years ago at $275k. I got offered $500k sight unseen. It's everywhere.

Why don't you ask the geniuses on BC? They all retired millionaires at 48.....or so it seems.

BTW, lot's of contractors around here drive those $100k big pickups....big tires...real shiny.

I wonder how they like the gas prices? Here, there are new housing developments going up all over. By the thousands(homes)....

most starting in the $350k range. Mine came with a pool and 30x50 shop on an acre for $275 5 years ago. These new homes are

zero lot lines. And are considered starter homes here.

Thebrownblob

Could you explain this please?
Why is it almost all your posts sound like you have a chip on your shoulder lol?

I don’t know anyone who retired at 48 a millionaire just from this job alone.

And my house will be paid off in two years I haven’t had a car loan since 2012 and no other real debt to speak of, and I will retire at 55 from UPS unless I decide not to.

I won’t be a millionaire but I won’t be poor still young enough to do other things if I so choose.

I don’t own a Corvette or fly jets I do live with my means as to not allow UPS to control my life into my old age.

rickyb

Why is it almost all your posts sound like you have a chip on your shoulder lol?

I don’t know anyone who retired at 48 a millionaire just from this job alone.

And my house will be paid off in two years I haven’t had a car loan since 2012 and no other real debt to speak of, and I will retire at 55 from UPS unless I decide not to.

I won’t be a millionaire but I won’t be poor still young enough to do other things if I so choose.

I don’t own a Corvette or fly jets I do live with my means as to not allow UPS to control my life into my old age.
nice cars are overrated