I am very concerned...

Blizzard

Blizzard,
Absolutely not!
If you would, please reference the posts or threads where this has been brought up? I know I have been involved in some discussions about this in the past and I do know the seat belt issue is very important to at least one member of the Brown Cafe, but I would like to review any past discussion threads that you may know about. It may be helpful to me.
Sincerely,
I

Does not sound like you're paying attention to the feedback you have been recieving? Does not matter to me which one of you guys wins either way we end up with some guy wearing feathers and yellow pajamas.:happy2:

upssup

Integrity must also be an engineer! And a good one at that to be able to retrofit seats and seat belts for cars not designed for them, and do it from memory or dreams because I believe he has little experience with package cars!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity must also be an engineer! And a good one at that to be able to retrofit seats and seat belts for cars not designed for them, and do it from memory or dreams because I believe he has little experience with package cars!

upssup,
I am not an engineer. I don't mean any disrespect to you but I don't see major retrofit issues with any of these accessories. The shoulder harness seat belt, the high back seat, the seat pedastal, and the backrest for the jump seat are all available accessories. They are reasonably inexpensive and they all appear to be bolt on items. If you look at the cars that already have them, you will see the apparent simplicity in how they are installed.

Sincerely,
I

KingofBrown

I agree with I (not with me). Keep up the good work "I." These comments are the ones that make companies better. If it wouldn't be for comments and ideas like these we would have many hazards around while working, or even on the streets. Nothing is impossible I, lets keep pushing this forward.

Blizzard

upssup,
I am not an engineer. I don't mean any disrespect to you but I don't see major retrofit issues with any of these accessories. The shoulder harness seat belt, the high back seat, the seat pedastal, and the backrest for the jump seat are all available accessories. They are reasonably inexpensive and they all appear to be bolt on items. If you look at the cars that already have them, you will see the apparent simplicity in how they are installed.

Sincerely,
I

hopefully you have learned a lesson from your first debaucle and you'll have direct communication with management this time. Could be educational if you do.

Blizzard

I agree with I (not with me). Keep up the good work "I." These comments are the ones that make companies better. If it wouldn't be for comments and ideas like these we would have many hazards around while working, or even on the streets. Nothing is impossible I, lets keep pushing this forward.

you guys are really thanking him for his good intentions. I'd like to see him actually do more then just post his eloquent vents here. We seem to have plenty of people here willing to say something is wrong. But can he honestly fix something?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

you guys are really thanking him for his good intentions. I'd like to see him actually do more then just post his eloquent vents here. We seem to have plenty of people here willing to say something is wrong. But can he honestly fix something?

No more than you I can. But he does use prettty words, doesn't he?

CharleyHustle

The cabs of the pkg cars that have lap belts are much smaller than the newer cars that have the high back seats. If I had to guess, the new cabs are larger mostly to accomadate the larger, more adjustable highback seat with the 3 point belt. I doubt if most of the newer seats would even fit in an older cab and make them harder to drive when you add the shoulder belt. Make no mistake, there certainly are liability issues when you start modifing standard safety equipment. After you hash everything out, the likely solution is to replace these older cars through attrition. Oh, isn't that what they are already doing?

RoyalFlush

One of Them
If the vehicle meets legal requirements and there is no cost advantage to add seat belts or modify the seats it's a pretty sure bet that UPS is not going to retrofit their vehicles (same concept as the building heat issue). In my experience I have not seen or heard of many injuries caused by the lack of a tall back seat or a three point seat belt. In most cases of accidents involving UPS vehicles the UPS vehicle comes out the winner - meaning the other vehicle sustains most of the damage and the other driver is much more likely to be injured. UPS trucks are built like tanks. At a cost of $1000 each, it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 million to retrofit all the older vehicles. Unless you can demonstrate how spending $25 million is going to save more than $25m, I don't see it having a chance. Even if every seat and seat belt were properly retrofitted the legal liability is huge, especially when the ambulance chasing lawyers see the Big Brown deep pockets.

Good luck in your quest.

Dustyroads

I have to laugh when I hear that "we can't retrofit safety related items" on our trucks. The company has specifically designed their trucks so they will not even meet the minimum driver safety restraint equipment that is required by law for vehicles sold to the public. That is why we never resell any of our trucks when they are used up, it's illegal, they don't meet safety standards for vehicles sold to the public. They are "fleet vehicles". Specifically, they lack a driver's airbag, and they all have metal dashboards. Airbags save lives. It's an undisputed fact. However, they add about $1,000 to the cost of a new truck. UPS had three package car drivers die last year in head on accidents. Would the investment of airbags in their fleet be worth even one life? It's sad when a corporation does a cost vs. benefits analysis when it comes to equipment that saves their employees' lives.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have to laugh when I hear that "we can't retrofit safety related items" on our trucks. The company has specifically designed their trucks so they will not even meet the minimum driver safety restraint equipment that is required by law for vehicles sold to the public. That is why we never resell any of our trucks when they are used up, it's illegal, they don't meet safety standards for vehicles sold to the public. They are "fleet vehicles". Specifically, they lack a driver's airbag, and they all have metal dashboards. Airbags save lives. It's an undisputed fact. However, they add about $1,000 to the cost of a new truck. UPS had three package car drivers die last year in head on accidents. Would the investment of airbags in their fleet be worth even one life? It's sad when a corporation does a cost vs. benefits analysis when it comes to equipment that saves their employees' lives.

I wonder if the Union agreed to a $25 million reduction (or whatever the amount) in the contract if UPS would agree to retrofit?

Dustyroads

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's imcumbent on the union to put airbags in the UPS vehicles. At the very least, all new package cars should be equipped. Simply, they are not, by plan. If you want to try to defend that stance by putting it off on the union, there is nothing I can say to try to reason with you.

BROWN430

We lost all of ours about 2 yrs ago. The drivers that had them ran the snot out of them.We had one that the side slider door fell off a few times. lol. Luckily it wasn't going down the highway at the time.

Dustyroads

We lost all of ours about 2 yrs ago. The drivers that had them ran the snot out of them.We had one that the side slider door fell off a few times. lol. Luckily it wasn't going down the highway at the time.

They were just about as good as the particular mechanic that worked on them. Mine, for example went the LAST three years of its existance without a single road call, nor was it ever out of the line up a single day. Of course, I truly have a world class mechanic assigned to my trucks. We need more like him.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's imcumbent on the union to put airbags in the UPS vehicles. At the very least, all new package cars should be equipped. Simply, they are not, by plan. If you want to try to defend that stance by putting it off on the union, there is nothing I can say to try to reason with you.
I just asked a logical question.
Everything is negotiable in a contract.
Have you drivers expressed this desire to the Union and that you want it negotiated in the next contract?
If all you do is whine and complain but don't take actions to make it happen, it probably ain't gonna happen.

Dustyroads

Hoax, if as a member of management representing UPS, you have no desire or see any benefit in owning safe trucks that protect your drivers, then I have lost respect for you. Please don't post any of that RIP c**p the next time we see one of our own dying in a head on accident, protected by a thin shroud of fiberglass. I'm not whinning, but I am complaining about that attitude that we really don't care about safe trucks, they are only for whiners. Sorry, you are really disappointing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, if as a member of management representing UPS, you have no desire or see any benefit in owning safe trucks that protect your drivers, then I have lost respect for you. Please don't post any of that RIP c**p the next time we see one of our own dying in a head on accident, protected by a thin shroud of fiberglass. I'm not whinning, but I am complaining about that attitude that we really don't care about safe trucks, they are only for whiners. Sorry, you are really disappointing.

I don't post on BC while I am at UPS so I don't represent UPS while posting on here. Been through that ad finitum with 705red.
Nobody defines what I am other than myself, including you.
If you can not understand simple logic, that is your problem and not mine. I will not assume your problems on my back.
I am powerless to control what UPS does in this regard and I learned a long time ago not to expend effort on things I can not control.
It seemed logical, at least to me, to suggest to someone (that being you) who can, through the Union, effect changes in regards to vehicle safety.
I respect you the same as I did before.

BrownArmy

I wonder if the Union agreed to a $25 million reduction (or whatever the amount) in the contract if UPS would agree to retrofit?

Pardon me, we should have to bargain for our safety?

I don't mind the endless repetitions of the five and ten's, it's nice to throw yard-safety in there, and I'll pull my mirrors in and drop an orange cone all day long...

But when the company is willing to spend $800 (or whatever the amount) per car on Tellymatics, and can't (won't) drop the money for three-point seat belts, that's plain goofy.

Obviously, there is no logistical way to retrofit airbags into our twenty+ year-old vehicles, regardless of cost.

But three point seat-belts? The simple cost of materials for retrofitting a three-point seatbelt into a package car must be less than $200. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...