I am very concerned...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You make a good point. Just what is the company's true position on safety? Telematics versus a 3 point harness.

They will spend $800 to "modify" a vehicle with a 2 pt seatbelt by replacing that belt.....with an identical belt that has a sensor in it.

In other words....UPS doesnt give a *****e whether or not the belt actually saves your life as long as they can fire you for not wearing it.

The math is simple. A driver whose brains get pulverized by the windshield will die and he can be replaced by a new hire who will do the same job for $10 an hour less. Factor in the decrease in the new drivers accrued vacation weeks, and we are talking about a savings of almost $25K per year for the company if they can kill off a full-scale driver.

tieguy

Banned
They will spend $800 to "modify" a vehicle with a 2 pt seatbelt by replacing that belt.....with an identical belt that has a sensor in it.

In other words....UPS doesnt give a *****e whether or not the belt actually saves your life as long as they can fire you for not wearing it.

The math is simple. A driver whose brains get pulverized by the windshield will die and he can be replaced by a new hire who will do the same job for $10 an hour less. Factor in the decrease in the new drivers accrued vacation weeks, and we are talking about a savings of almost $25K per year for the company if they can kill off a full-scale driver.

so you're saying ups deliberately murders the senior higher cost driver with the two point seat belt?

for some reason not one single teamster found fault with your post here.

still looking will I ever find one?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, you just found one.

Sober, do you really think the bean counters at UPS calculated all of the costs which you just presented and arrived at the same conclusion? Call me naive but I would most certainly hope that there is no truth in your theory.

superbee

If you drivers would follow your methods,you wouldnt have to worry about getting into a wreck. plus I am sure they've done a risk/benefit analysis

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you drivers would follow your methods,you wouldnt have to worry about getting into a wreck. plus I am sure they've done a risk/benefit analysis

Following the methods will indeed increase our chances of avoiding an accident; however, I have yet to be taught a method that will prevent all accidents.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Can you show me the method that helps to deal with fatigue? Maybe you can puch paper across your desk for 60 hours a week, but not only do we drive we do physical work which tires us out.

Please dont hurt yourself moving your paper weight across the desk.

Dustyroads

Last Thursday night/ Friday morning, in Kansas City, in an industrial area, a car approaching a UPS tractor trailer veered directly into the tractors path, hitting it head on, both vehicles going about 35 mph. The street offered no escape to the right, so the tractor locked up his brakes, and was hit square head on. I'm just wondering which of the methods would have avoided this one.

As for a cost/benefits analysis of lap belts, driver's air bag, padded dash, I would be greatly surprised if the company had not done an analysis comparing the costs to the liability for the deaths or injuries that would be likely to occur if such options were not fitted on our package cars. I mean, someone in the company writes the specifications for new package cars.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Red is right. There is no way UPS can factor in the physical and mental stress of doing the job that we do. There are way to many factors involved. Not only do we have to deal with work related issues we have to deal with other issues outside of work that also affect performance. You might be having a bad day because of an argument you had with your wife. It is not going to kill you when you make a mistake and hit the send key on an email that was meant to be sent to your wife and instead you sent it to your co-worker. It is not that easy for us. We cannot, under any circumstances, accidentally make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic.

Upstate is also right. There is no FOOL proof way of avoiding an accident. There is NO 100% method that will protect us from every accident.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
BigBrownWeb,
Thanks for your well wishes and your contribution to this discussion thread. You have brought the sad truth about this kind of thing out into the open. The sad truth is that the corporate executives of UPS probably do a cost benefit analysis of this and as stated above, will not act upon this type of neglect until the financial cost of acting is lower than the financial cost of not acting. UPS executives are well aware of the fact that employees cannot sue their employers for neglect and it will take a lot of worker's comp claims to exceed the financial cost of acting on these items.

You mention legal liability. It is my understanding that when talking about liability we are talking about liability for something such as property damage, injury or death. Where does the risk of property damage , injury or death increase, or become huge, with the installation of any of the accessories I have mentioned? Please let me know. This information will be very helpful to me.

I think your estimate is high. It would probably be more like 15million to upgrade 25000 UPS package cars with the items that I have mentioned in my original post.

Sincerely,
I

UPS did not design or build the package car. If the seat and/or seat belt is substandard the manufacturer is responsible/liable. If UPS redesigns or modifies the seat and/or seat belt they would become responsible. Acknowledging the seat and/or seat belt is inadequate would also subject UPS to liability.

The same theory would apply to you own vehicle. If the brakes fail due to a design flaw, the manufacture is liable. If you take it upon yourself to retrofit or modify the brake system and it fails you have taken away the manufacturers responsibility.

Can you quantify the potential safety improvement of a 3 point over a 2 point system in a UPS vehicle? It seems to me that there are very few injuries that can be attributed to the use of a two point seat belt. Serious injury is often the result of wearing no seat belt, hence the focus on seat belt use and tracking with telematics.

Integrity

Binge Poster
BigBrownWeb,
Thank you again for your contribution. I have replied in the text of the qoute.
Sincerely,
I

UPS did not design or build the package car. If the seat and/or seat belt is substandard the manufacturer is responsible/liable. If UPS redesigns or modifies the seat and/or seat belt they would become responsible. Acknowledging the seat and/or seat belt is inadequate would also subject UPS to liability.

BigBrownWeb,
I understand your point. I do think that this point is arguable based on the fact that these are accessories and not related to the safe operation of the vehicle but only to the safety of the driver and any potential passenger. I still don't feel that you have answered my main question. If you can, I hope you will.
Responsiblity/liability has been brought up as a defense for the company executives of UPS not having theses accessories installed in the older UPS Package Cars while they are still in service. Responsibility/liability refers to property damage, personal injury or death.

Please enlighten me on what is the perceived increase in the likelyhood of property damage, personal injury or death that may result from the installation of these accessories?

The same theory would apply to you own vehicle. If the brakes fail due to a design flaw, the manufacture is liable. If you take it upon yourself to retrofit or modify the brake system and it fails you have taken away the manufacturers responsibility.

I understand you point however I disagree with it being applied to the items that I have mentioned. The main difference here is that the items I have mentioned in no way are related to the safe operation of the vehicle they are only related to the safety of the occupants of the vehicle.

Can you quantify the potential safety improvement of a 3 point over a 2 point system in a UPS vehicle? It seems to me that there are very few injuries that can be attributed to the use of a two point seat belt. Serious injury is often the result of wearing no seat belt, hence the focus on seat belt use and tracking with telematics.

No, I cannot at this time give you a number to quantify the potential safety improvement of a 3 point over a 2 point system in a UPS vehicle. The shoulder harness seat belt is only one of the three items that I believe should be installed. The high back seat and the cushion for the jumpseat are also important safety improvements.

I can speak on quantifying this and I know it may be an extreme, idealistic view but I will share it anyway. If there is 1 employee who has been or ever will be more severely injured in an accident than they would have been had these safety accessories been upgraded like they should be then that is 1 too many.

soberups

UPS did not design or build the package car. If the seat and/or seat belt is substandard the manufacturer is responsible/liable. If UPS redesigns or modifies the seat and/or seat belt they would become responsible. Acknowledging the seat and/or seat belt is inadequate would also subject UPS to liability....

The package cars were built to UPS's specifications. They met the bare minimum DOT safety requirements that were in force at the time.

3 point seat belts were optional equipment in package-car sized vehicles until 1995. After that, they became required equipment.

UPS made a business decision that the life of the driver was not worth the $50 or so it would have cost to install this option.

UPS continued to order its package cars with lap belts right up until the very last day that it was legal to do so.

soberups

I am 6 feet tall.

If I sit in a P-5, P-8, or an older GMC P-10 with the lap belt buckled...I can lean forward and rest my forehead on the windshield while my jaw touches the steering wheel.

In the event of a head-on collision, the lap belt will do nothing to keep me alive. My head will be driven thru the windshield and my jaw will strike the steering wheel and be driven thru the back of my neck. Or, in a rollover accident, my head and upper body will flail around violently like a rag doll and strike the bulkhead and side door. What is left of my body will still remain in the car, but I will be dead. All so the company could save $50 on a 3 pt belt.

browned out

I miss my ole 1984 truck with drum brakes all around, no power steering, no headrest, no shoulder belt, high step, etc.

I have a large Bosch engineering test track and facility on my route. More than few times; engineers from all over the world were amazed at my truck. They could not believe that it was still allowed to be on the road. For driver safety and the safety of the public.

Big Brown Safety is our number one concern. The safety of our profits at all cost. Beautiful

soberups

so you're saying ups deliberately murders the senior higher cost driver with the two point seat belt?

for some reason not one single teamster found fault with your post here.

still looking will I ever find one?

OK tie, I have reread my post and you are correct. I chose my words poorly and I will retract my statement.

It was a mistake for me to use the words "kill off a full-scale driver". This implies an intent which obviously isnt there.

A better way for me to have gotten my point across would have been to say "allow the full-scale driver to die in a head-on collision".

I do not believe that the company would actively seek to "kill off" a driver and it was a mistake for me to put it in that way. I apologize.

The fact of the matter though...is that the life, health and safety of the driver was never a factor in the decision-making process when the older vehicles were designed and ordered.

You know what? I am OK with that. It is what it is. I knew what the trucks were like when I accepted the job, and I am at peace with the fact that the company doesnt care about the safety of its people.

What I cannot deal with though...is the phony "culture of safety" that this same company continues trying to cram down our throats, with its blizzard of acronyms and commentaries and buzzwords and empty rhetoric and phony, do-nothing safety committees.

All I ask for is honesty. You dont give a rats ass about the safety of your people, and the equipment you continue to dispatch them in is proof of that fact. So quit trying to pretend that you care when its obvious by your actions that you dont.

Dustyroads

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. UPS did design the cars. The manufacturers didn't just come up with the ideas of what UPS should have on their package cars. Grumman-Olson, for example, is a manufacturer of step vans for commercial use. They make step vans that have features for various commercial applications. They are a truck body company. They make step vans according to the customer's specifications, tailored to fit various industrial applications. We write the specifications, and then, Grumman-Olson, for example, submits a bid for a certain number of vehicles, manufactured to meet the bid specifications. The only cars we didn't design were the old Ford Econoline bubbletop vans. Ford made the van, and we retrofited the shelves. They didn't have a bulkhead door. They did, however, have a three point belt. I drove the bubbletops for 14 years, and the last one in our district, I drove through Christmas of 1994 until it was crushed.

upssup

These cars are built to a specific UPS spec. They start as generic chassis and body shell but that is where the similarities end. Yes the Econoline had 3 point belt. It was also built on the basic Econoline body and certified for public use. If it was built from a Ford stripped chassis it possibly would not have been required to have the three point belt. Sprinters were also built from an off the hook MB chassis and body, which explains why these had the equipment they had, unfortunately they were junk from day 1.

Last edited:

Dustyroads

The only sprinters that were junk were ones that were poorly maintained. I drove them over 400,000 miles, I have some familiarity with them. The first P47 I had ran over 350,000 miles and during the last 150,000 it never had a road call and was never out of the line up but one day when a Saturday driver broke off a windshield wiper arm. If you don't maintain a vehicle and drive it 250 miles a day on the gravel, don't be surprised if it shows some wear. They were the safest package cars UPS ever owned.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Red is right. There is no way UPS can factor in the physical and mental stress of doing the job that we do. There are way to many factors involved. Not only do we have to deal with work related issues we have to deal with other issues outside of work that also affect performance. You might be having a bad day because of an argument you had with your wife. It is not going to kill you when you make a mistake and hit the send key on an email that was meant to be sent to your wife and instead you sent it to your co-worker. It is not that easy for us. We cannot, under any circumstances, accidentally make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic.

Upstate is also right. There is no FOOL proof way of avoiding an accident. There is NO 100% method that will protect us from every accident.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just had 2 things, does Integrity still post on here or is he on holiday for a while, thought he or she was an interesting person. On regards to the factoring in on metal and physical tiredness from the daily workload it has been mentioned from p-man that the allowances DO factor in a driver getting tired throught the day..Im not sure I believe that but if p-man says it, it probably is considered somewhere in the numbers, but that would be very interesting to figure out how the hell they would factor something like that in.