I feel like i should be making more as a part timer of 9 years.

UPS Preloader

Hello fourm!!
I'm a part timmer and have been employed at UPS for 9 and half years. I have my skilled dollar for being a pick off. I'm currently making 17.12 an hour.

I feel as if my pay is to low.. is there any one on these boards making the smillar wage working here 9 years??

Thank you for your help!!!

I'll have 6 years in August. Started at $9.50 and went to $10.00 after a short period of time. I'll admit, it wasn't worth it for $10.00 an hour but I stayed because of the Health Insurance. At that point I wasn't even thinking about the pension. As I got closer to having my pension vested that too became important. Now I make $14.88 which still isn't much for the work Is do, but it's pretty good money for a part time job. Even now, I'm not hear for the money. I'm hear for the Health Insurance and the Pension. Just an FYI for Heffernan. Here in the Northeast I am in a Teamsters plan and the Part Time Coverage is not as good as the Full Time coverage. FT's have lower copays, no deductibles or coinsurance, and some extra benefits. PT's have to pay 20% up to $2,000 plus copays. Not complaining, just wanted to clarify.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
These people just don't understand a PT Job isn't forever OR A CAREER

LOL!!! Do you know what a FT job is nowadays (for persons not possessing college degrees)? It's two PT jobs. Most of us PTers have/had no desire to make a career out of being PT -- but after 10 years or more, we're still waiting for you old guys to retire so we can take your jobs.

To all those in their 40s & 50s who keep telling PTers to 'find a FT job...'
a) Show us these "full time jobs." I think they're in Atlantis.
b) Paying a PTer starting at $8.50/hour while you earn ~$33/hour is no excuse because they're "part time." Part time should mean half the hours, not one-fifth the pay per hour.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I hate when you guys say stuff like that. Did you take into account where he lives? $17 an hr in California doesn't get you half the stuff as it can get you in most of the southern states. I live in a state where a 1600sf house typical go for 400,000 to 500,000....how many people can say that??? The COLA is not the same if every state.

In reference to his point, what difference does that make? What other menial PT jobs in California pay $17/hour with full benefits?

T

TheBrownGuy

Hahah I insure you i'm not a troll.
The reason why I put this question on this forum is because I find it very discouraging knowing the pick off next to me who has 11 years is making 20.50. He tells me because he was hired in a good contract.

Ask the part timers who were hired before the 1982 contract how much they make per hour. Back then everyone had the same top rate (sorters a bit more than loaders). They make over $30 per hour, if I am not mistaken.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
LOL!!! Do you know what a FT job is nowadays (for persons not possessing college degrees)? It's two PT jobs. Most of us PTers have/had no desire to make a career out of being PT -- but after 10 years or more, we're still waiting for you old guys to retire so we can take your jobs.

To all those in their 40s & 50s who keep telling PTers to 'find a FT job...'
a) Show us these "full time jobs." I think they're in Atlantis.
b) Paying a PTer starting at $8.50/hour while you earn ~$33/hour is no excuse because they're "part time." Part time should mean half the hours, not one-fifth the pay per hour.

Actually more like one third the pay or more for most part timers.

Drink Craft Beer

Question: "Hey man, you've been here 2yrs longer than I have. Why you make more than me?"

Answer: "Because I've been here 2yrs longer than you have, man"

End of story

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Question: "Hey man, you've been here 2yrs longer than I have. Why you make more than me?"

Answer: "Because I've been here 2yrs longer than you have, man"

End of story

I joined UPS as a high school student in the late 1990s during the economy's historic peak. At the time, places like Kroger, Safeway, most retail stores, etc. were hiring for $10/hour to start (and nearly 15 years later hire at $7.20), and many of my high school friends were bragging about banking as much as $1,000 a week in tips serving at local trendy restaurants. For reasons that only a divine power knows, I stuck it out at UPS -- as a co-op student, I earned $12/hour; at the conclusion of the program, when I accepted permanent employment, I earned the standard $9.50/hour.

Anyway, during peak my facility hired somebody I went to school with - we'll call him Al Bundy since he always brags about his HS football days. I know that Al Bundy managed a local Abercrombie & Fitch (during its heyday) when we were in high school, but I have no idea his work history since. Anyway, when Al Bundy found out I was earning $21/hour while his sorry as$ was banking only $9.50 for the same work, he was furious. He's anti-union, even though he drolls all over the FT jobs here, because he thinks he works way harder than everyone else, yet he's paid less. Al Bundy always tells me high school was a "long time ago" -- well, that's how long I've been here, and that's why I earn $21/hour dumb :censored2:.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'll have 6 years in August. Started at $9.50 and went to $10.00 after a short period of time. I'll admit, it wasn't worth it for $10.00 an hour but I stayed because of the Health Insurance. At that point I wasn't even thinking about the pension. As I got closer to having my pension vested that too became important. Now I make $14.88 which still isn't much for the work Is do, but it's pretty good money for a part time job. Even now, I'm not hear for the money. I'm hear for the Health Insurance and the Pension. Just an FYI for Heffernan. Here in the Northeast I am in a Teamsters plan and the Part Time Coverage is not as good as the Full Time coverage. FT's have lower copays, no deductibles or coinsurance, and some extra benefits. PT's have to pay 20% up to $2,000 plus copays. Not complaining, just wanted to clarify.

Did not know or remember the differences.

Thanks for the info, I am in the Northeast as well.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I hate when you guys say stuff like that. Did you take into account where he lives? $17 an hr in California doesn't get you half the stuff as it can get you in most of the southern states. I live in a state where a 1600sf house typical go for 400,000 to 500,000....how many people can say that??? The COLA is not the same if every state.
And his FT job pays what again? If this is his only job he'll be poor no matter where he lives.

Preacher tells the truth and it Hurts.

Bad Gas!

Part-timers can transfer one time to another location if they are doing it for college reasons..Do you have any family in a lower cost of living state?

Evidently it gets you some good ass healthcare up in your parts.

Your benefits working PART TIME more than outweigh your pay !!! I work 50 hours a week PLUS, and you get the same benefits as me !!!! That's the crime !!! lol

Cry me a river !!!! If you are not happy, GO TO WALMART !!!!! Ask them about their free healthcare for employees !!!! :whatever:
Here comes the cavalry.

upschick95

I was a pick off and had my $1 more skill pay. I was making $16.10 with 8 year's and 8 month seniority. 4 months later I went full-time package car. You are right where you should be.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Your benefits working PART TIME more than outweigh your pay !!! I work 50 hours a week PLUS, and you get the same benefits as me !!!! That's the crime !!! lol

Cry me a river !!!! If you are not happy, GO TO WALMART !!!!! Ask them about their free healthcare for employees !!!! :whatever:

"These people"?

"GO TO WALMART!!"?

Some solidarity there, brother. When I was first hired at UPS, we were promised the opportunity to go full time within 10 years. Some of the PT'ers I work with were told that 15+ years ago -- many people want to go FT but are unable to do so with the company refusing to fill vacated 22.3 jobs and add more package car routes. Simply put, UPS rarely hires package car or feeder drivers off the street anymore like they did during the expansion in the late 1970's/early 1980's.

And at least those 50 hours in package cars are at $32/hr and $48/hr as OT and all for the same company. I watch PT'ers struggle to get through their shift and grind themselves into dust, day after day, after working 8+ hours somewhere else (likely non-union and with far lower pay) until the Twilight sort finishes, just so they can keep food on the table and eke out a living until they can go FT.

I don't have many complaints as a PT employee, other than supervisors stealing work from us across every sort and refusing to work double shifts (except in my area on my shift, where they know they'll get crucified if they do bargaining work) when they're short-staffed and the backlog of people in my hub trying to go FT.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I was first hired at UPS, we were promised the opportunity to go full time within 10 years.

A UPS Management person told you this?
That is totally 100% the opposite of the company's position and communications.
Part-Timers having the right to go to a friend/T Driver position is a Union thing ... not a UPS plan.
I know that UPS has opposed P/T to friend/T for over 40 years and has been concerned about the degradation to the Driver workforce as a result.

PS - I was a P/T for 6 years before I went driving so this is not my personal feelings.