I feel like i should be making more as a part timer of 9 years.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Question ???? Where else do you get a part time job with health care benefits and a pension ? Never mind the hourly rate because it is competitive. Where ??? And who delivers you those benefits ???? The TDU ? And please do not answer the questions with rhetoric . Please answer where . Maybe all the dissenters can go there for employment?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Question ???? Where else do you get a part time job with health care benefits and a pension ? Never mind the hourly rate because it is competitive. Where ??? And who delivers you those benefits ???? The TDU ? And please do not answer the questions with rhetoric . Please answer where . Maybe all the dissenters can go there for employment?

UPS?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
A UPS Management person told you this?
That is totally 100% the opposite of the company's position and communications.
Part-Timers having the right to go to a friend/T Driver position is a Union thing ... not a UPS plan.
I know that UPS has opposed P/T to friend/T for over 40 years and has been concerned about the degradation to the Driver workforce as a result.

PS - I was a P/T for 6 years before I went driving so this is not my personal feelings.

This was told to myself and others by a UPS Human Resources hiring manager in the early 2000's. It's something I heard, myself, as a new-hire and people who have been there in the 12-15 year range.

Not that it means much.. a UPS HR representative's promises/opinions aren't really worth a damn, beyond what is already contractually agreed upon. A UPS HR rep even told a friend of mine, who was hired recently, that "he might get benefits sooner than a year.. since a contract is being negotiated right now."

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I know that UPS has opposed P/T to friend/T for over 40 years and has been concerned about the degradation to the Driver workforce as a result.

PS - I was a P/T for 6 years before I went driving so this is not my personal feelings.

Management should actually see the value of PT to FT because people who have lasted long enough as a PT to make FT status have shown they have what it takes to persevere through all the BS they had to go through and have the "metal" needed to be a UPSer. Those who have demonstrated this then have to prove they can drive via the road test then have to be smart enough to be able to memorize all the drivel verbatim. You then factor in the background check and driving history...

In my eyes, the above combination is where I'd put my money over an off the street hire.

quamba 638

Find another job that has a pension, free bennies for all your dependents, and pays you 17.12, for PT work.

These people just don't understand a PT Job isn't forever OR A CAREER

I hate when you guys say stuff like that. Did you take into account where he lives? $17 an hr in California doesn't get you half the stuff as it can get you in most of the southern states. I live in a state where a 1600sf house typical go for 400,000 to 500,000....how many people can say that??? The COLA is not the same if every state.

Your benefits working PART TIME more than outweigh your pay !!! I work 50 hours a week PLUS, and you get the same benefits as me !!!! That's the crime !!! lol

Part timers should start around $15 an hour. After 10 yrs at UPS part timers should make $25 an hour. Its back breaking work!

Cry me a river !!!! If you are not happy, GO TO WALMART !!!!! Ask them about their free healthcare for employees !!!! :whatever:

Where do you think most of the drivers started? Unbelievable. You can't make this **** up... I work more hours a week than you can probably count.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Management should actually see the value of PT to FT because people who have lasted long enough as a PT to make FT status have shown they have what it takes to persevere through all the BS they had to go through and have the "metal" needed to be a UPSer. Those who have demonstrated this then have to prove they can drive via the road test then have to be smart enough to be able to memorize all the drivel verbatim. You then factor in the background check and driving history...

In my eyes, the above combination is where I'd put my money over an off the street hire.

UPS probably has more reasons than I know but these are some reasons:
1) P/T are hired at UPS into their first real job and they have nothing to compare UPS Driver to.
They feel entitled and don't realize how good a friend/T job is at UPS.
People who have not experienced how crappy other companies are think UPS is worse than it actually is.
I have seen this myself within UPS and here on Brown Cafe.

2) UPS wanted to select qualified people off the street as drivers for consideration as Management.
This is a definite problem that has manifested itself in the last 10 years.

3) UPS would rather hire 25 year old people to begin as drivers ... for the same reason that Insurance companies charge more until a driver turns 25.
With the lack of opportunity in recent years, this is not a problem.

4) UPS likes to hire ex-military people which is contradictory to hiring P/T at 18 - 20.
Military people are disciplined and after being the military, UPS seems a "pretty OK" place to work.
Georgia opened in 1966 and when I was hired in 1973, probably 75% of management were ex-military.

5) Most Part-timers sticking around for a Driver job dropped out of college and as such, are not the type of achievers that UPS is looking for.

6) The success rate (reaches seniority) of an off-the-street hire is much higher than a P/T bid to driver.
This is a costly expense for UPS and is very "demotivating" to the package center management as well as the kicked-back employee.

The redlined in your post apply to Off-the-street hires as well.

As to "takes to persevere through all the BS they had to go through and have the "metal" needed to be a UPSer."
The pressure and drivel of a P/T job does nothing really to prepare one for the driver job except the physical conditioning.
Anyway, the driver job is more mental than physical (until one gets into their 40's when the body starts to breakdown).

U

uber

More reasonable.
Part timers should start at $12/hr and should quit after 4 years.
No one should be lifting and lowering like an Inside Worker does for more than 4 years.
That's why UPS tries to hire only college students.

Unfortunately not all employees can get a driving job after 4 years.

pretender

More reasonable.
Part timers should start at $12/hr and should quit after 4 years.
No one should be lifting and lowering like an Inside Worker does for more than 4 years.
That's why UPS tries to hire only college students.

I got to thinking about this, and even though it will never happen, it makes a lot of sense. There are two things that are never mentioned when discussing part time rate of pay:

1) Even though part timers start out at wages comparable to a fast food restaurant, how many people at Taco Bell get an average yearly increase of $.75 per hour?

2) Using round numbers, the same $.75 raise, equates to a 7.5% increase for someone at $10.00. A driver at $32.00 is only getting a 2.4% raise.

So, is it more desirable to have a lower starting wage, with large raises, or a higher wage with raises that are proportional to the full timers?

UPS WORKHORSE

Your benefits working PART TIME more than outweigh your pay !!! I work 50 hours a week PLUS, and you get the same benefits as me !!!! That's the crime !!! lol

Cry me a river !!!! If you are not happy, GO TO WALMART !!!!! Ask them about their free healthcare for employees !!!! :whatever:

Good thing you're not on the negotiating committee. The part-timers wouldn't ever see a raise.

I can't help but wonder why people like you don't want to see a part-timer get the chance to go combo sooner or get a good raise. People like you talk about putting in your time. Well... how long does someone need to put in their time? At my hub the wait is over 11 years to go combo and the wait to go driver is 25 years due to combos trying to go driver. How long did you have to wait to go driving or combo? The reason you aren't complaining is because you can pay to have your house, and spend money on your wife. After 11 years, I think a part-timer has the right to be pissed that they can't get over 20 hours in a week or make the same amount of money as someone else who does the same exact job. They've put their time in. Isn't that one of the major reasons the Teamsters went on strike in 1997: To END PART TIME POVERTY? So stop defending UPS being cheap, stop defending UPS wanting to not create more full-time jobs when the work and volume is there. UPS has enough money to create more combo jobs, but it is cheaper to have 3 or more part-time employees than it is combos. Get out of here with your Walmart comment. UPS should provide free healthcare. We're making them rich. $1 BILLION in profit in the first three months alone. Stop sounding like management and become a TEAMSTER. Let's stand together, not be divided.

UPS WORKHORSE

I got to thinking about this, and even though it will never happen, it makes a lot of sense. There are two things that are never mentioned when discussing part time rate of pay:

1) Even though part timers start out at wages comparable to a fast food restaurant, how many people at Taco Bell get an average yearly increase of $.75 per hour?

2) Using round numbers, the same $.75 raise, equates to a 7.5% increase for someone at $10.00. A driver at $32.00 is only getting a 2.4% raise.

So, is it more desirable to have a lower starting wage, with large raises, or a higher wage with raises that are proportional to the full timers?

So your question is what is more desirable a:

Part-timer who is lucky to get 20 hours a week at $10 an hour, which equates to $10,400 a year

or a

Driver who get around 50 hours a week at $32 an hour, which equates to $91,520 a year including OT

just because a part timer gets a higher raise percent?

Which one do you prefer? $10,400 with a raise next year of 7.5% or $91,520 with a raise next year of 2.4%

quamba 638

Good thing you're not on the negotiating committee. The part-timers wouldn't ever see a raise.

I can't help but wonder why people like you don't want to see a part-timer get the chance to go combo sooner or get a good raise. People like you talk about putting in your time. Well... how long does someone need to put in their time? At my hub the wait is over 11 years to go combo and the wait to go driver is 25 years due to combos trying to go driver. How long did you have to wait to go driving or combo? The reason you aren't complaining is because you can pay to have your house, and spend money on your wife. After 11 years, I think a part-timer has the right to be pissed that they can't get over 20 hours in a week or make the same amount of money as someone else who does the same exact job. They've put their time in. Isn't that one of the major reasons the Teamsters went on strike in 1997: To END PART TIME POVERTY? So stop defending UPS being cheap, stop defending UPS wanting to not create more full-time jobs when the work and volume is there. UPS has enough money to create more combo jobs, but it is cheaper to have 3 or more part-time employees than it is combos. Get out of here with your Walmart comment. UPS should provide free healthcare. We're making them rich. $1 BILLION in profit in the first three months alone. Stop sounding like management and become a TEAMSTER. Let's stand together, not be divided.
I'm going to make it a point to follow the Heffer around and once he comments on something... Boom! I'll tell him to get a job @ wal-mart if he doesn't like it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
A UPS Management person told you this?
That is totally 100% the opposite of the company's position and communications.
Part-Timers having the right to go to a friend/T Driver position is a Union thing ... not a UPS plan.

Come on, Hoaxster, you know better than that.

In the late 1990s/much of the 2000s -- and even today -- at $8.50/hour, UPS is a hard sell to the company's coveted (young) demographic, which has little appeal in benefits. Thus, HR has taken on a role similar to the ad agency of a tax prep company -- lots of big promises to lure you in. When I hired into UPS, they were so desperate for help in my area that there was a team of PT HR managers whose job it was to recruit new hires -- they went to schools, hung out in mall food courts ("dead end job ... UPS is a career") and other popular hang outs. The PT & FT HR managers received graduated cash bonuses based on the length of time the new hires stuck with UPS. This is not a guess. The head of HR for my district heavily promoted driving opportunities to new hires. And that person ultimately got a big promotion.

quamba 638

UPS had posters up in my college hallways "UPS pays for tuition and books, work PT while going to school FT" that got me in.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They offered tuition reimbursement here for awhile - but it was only valid at a local "career college" whose reputation is so poor that even UPS prefers you not go there (if seeking a career).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Come on, Hoaxster, you know better than that.

In the late 1990s/much of the 2000s -- and even today -- at $8.50/hour, UPS is a hard sell to the company's coveted (young) demographic, which has little appeal in benefits. Thus, HR has taken on a role similar to the ad agency of a tax prep company -- lots of big promises to lure you in. When I hired into UPS, they were so desperate for help in my area that there was a team of PT HR managers whose job it was to recruit new hires -- they went to schools, hung out in mall food courts ("dead end job ... UPS is a career") and other popular hang outs. The PT & FT HR managers received graduated cash bonuses based on the length of time the new hires stuck with UPS. This is not a guess. The head of HR for my district heavily promoted driving opportunities to new hires. And that person ultimately got a big promotion.

I am not naive ... I understand what is implemented at the local level may well not jive with the "company" positions and stances and directions.

When I was in the district, I paid little attention to the guidelines and directives from Corporate.

Sounds like your local district HR person was a "runner-gunner" just getting the job done the easiest way rather than what is best for the company long-term. Therefore, the disillusioned and even bitter feeling of part-timers like you feel.

What the local district HR did was not right.

pretender

So your question is what is more desirable a:

Part-timer who is lucky to get 20 hours a week at $10 an hour, which equates to $10,400 a year

or a

Driver who get around 50 hours a week at $32 an hour, which equates to $91,520 a year including OT

just because a part timer gets a higher raise percent?

Which one do you prefer? $10,400 with a raise next year of 7.5% or $91,520 with a raise next year of 2.4%

Well, using that logic, UPS could just leave your pay rate the same, and have you work 30 hours per week. That would be a 50% wage increase!

I was responding to the point that Hoaxster made, that perhaps part timers should be paid more money upfront, without the expectations of it being a permanent job. It occurred to me that many of the PT people who complain the loudest, are making well over $10 per hour. They have insurance, a pension, and they are receiving the same per hour increases as drivers--which is a much larger percentage of their wage. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Maybe it would be better to pay part timers half of driver pay with no benefits (at least no pension); but then they would only get half of the yearly raise amount.

UPS Preloader

Well, using that logic, UPS could just leave your pay rate the same, and have you work 30 hours per week. That would be a 50% wage increase!

I was responding to the point that Hoaxster made, that perhaps part timers should be paid more money upfront, without the expectations of it being a permanent job. It occurred to me that many of the PT people who complain the loudest, are making well over $10 per hour. They have insurance, a pension, and they are receiving the same per hour increases as drivers--which is a much larger percentage of their wage. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Maybe it would be better to pay part timers half of driver pay with no benefits (at least no pension); but then they would only get half of the yearly raise amount.

I wouldn't like it, but I might actually be ok with that. (Increased hours in lieu of raise.) The extra money paid into the pension would be worth it.

Notcool

When I was hired I was told three years and I'd be fulltime. 7 years and no chance in sight. I think about leaving everyday but i put so much hard work in my pride wont allow me to quit. It takes a person 9 years to make 17 bucks and with the hours barely makes 200 a week in take home pay. haha

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

I'm actually pleased with my wage, which is substantially less than a driver's. But I also find it embarrassing that in a union shop, five years from now the average FT will be pulling in $100K (!) whereas PTers will be starting out near what will likely be minimum wage. I also find it interesting that the same drivers who whine & cry about how under-compensated they are, how much retiree benefits will cost, etc. are the same ones scolding PTers for complaining about their wages. Some many companies have begun hiring two PT employees in lieu of one FT in effort to pay inferior wages (nevermind the benefits) -- it's just not right. Being tagged as "part-time" should not equate into a two-tier wage system.