I feel like i should be making more as a part timer of 9 years.

InsideUPS

Hello fourm!!
I'm a part timmer and have been employed at UPS for 9 and half years. I have my skilled dollar for being a pick off. I'm currently making 17.12 an hour.

I feel as if my pay is to low.. is there any one on these boards making the smillar wage working here 9 years??

Thank you for your help!!!

Considering that Hoaxster "smells a Troll"....

I believe that $17.12 is accurate. If however you would have used the appropriate form of "too" in your sentence... : "I feel as if my pay is to low"..... You would have been entitled to the $1.75 wage increase (moving you to $18.87) on page 177 of the contract. Proper Grammar Use and Sentence Structure...Section A.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I am and have been always pro IBT and a PT'er,but the elephant in the room or more appropriatley the thread is the $250.00 initiation fee. By the starting wage being low plus the hard work creates more turnover hence more..............

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I am and have been always pro IBT and a PT'er,but the elephant in the room or more appropriatley the thread is the $250.00 initiation fee. By the starting wage being low plus the hard work creates more turnover hence more..............

I absolutely agree.. I'm in a local that's in a RTW state and we waive initiation fees for all UPS PT'ers. Re-initiation fees for PT'ers that withdraw and then re-apply for membership is $20.

I don't have a problem with $200+ initiation fees for FT jobs with union pay and union benefits.. but dinging causing the new hires to only take home $70-90/week their first month is atrocious.

Scuderia

I make 17.89 after 10 years of skilled PT. Smallsort, which they changed to the new NGSS system, which means I no longer have to know or study zip codes, but I still get the $1 skill bonus. Still though, it would be nice to get paid $5 every time I take a piss, or $15 for taking a dump.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
However, every now and then you say something from out of the blue, that I just can't believe. I and my fellow drivers complained about a lot of things, but I never heard anyone cry about being under-compensated.

With all due respect, these forums are littered with postings from drivers complaining, among other things, that recent negotiated raise increases have been inadequate ... which is an indirect way of expressing being under-compensated. And I get your point, but even when you factor in heath/retirement benefits, PTers (whose package is valued less ... likely because we skew younger/many haven't formed families) are still raking in less than half the hourly wage of a driver -- and I strongly believe they should be much closer than that.

Most of the drivers on here in their 40s/50s/60s have no idea what the job market's like, what it's like to work two jobs -- and still rake in less than half what a driver does, despite working longer hours, or the exceptions of any job in 2013 - which are much higher than 2003, let alone 1983.

We just got a new FT manager ... not certain where she came from, but she's running the input and she has a zero-tolerance policy on talking -- she's given warning letters to almost everybody (not me yet, but I rarely talk to these guys anyway) for "stealing time." No wonder we've gone through about 15 new hires in the last several weeks, with only two sticking around (for now at least). Would you wanna work this job for $8.50?

pretender

With all due respect, these forums are littered with postings from drivers complaining, among other things, that recent negotiated raise increases have been inadequate ... which is an indirect way of expressing being under-compensated. And I get your point, but even when you factor in heath/retirement benefits, PTers (whose package is valued less ... likely because we skew younger/many haven't formed families) are still raking in less than half the hourly wage of a driver -- and I strongly believe they should be much closer than that.

Most of the drivers on here in their 40s/50s/60s have no idea what the job market's like, what it's like to work two jobs -- and still rake in less than half what a driver does, despite working longer hours, or the exceptions of any job in 2013 - which are much higher than 2003, let alone 1983.

We just got a new FT manager ... not certain where she came from, but she's running the input and she has a zero-tolerance policy on talking -- she's given warning letters to almost everybody (not me yet, but I rarely talk to these guys anyway) for "stealing time." No wonder we've gone through about 15 new hires in the last several weeks, with only two sticking around (for now at least). Would you wanna work this job for $8.50?

I had to laugh at the beginning of your post. I have always joked that the phrase "with all due respect" is just a euphemism for "you friend*ing jerk"--but I won't take it that way. :wink2:

I appreciate what you are saying, and I don't think we are that far apart. We will just have to agree to somewhat disagree.

I had to laugh at the beginning of your post. I have always joked that the phrase "with all due respect" is just a euphemism for "you friend*ing jerk"--but I won't take it that way. :wink2:

I appreciate what you are saying, and I don't think we are that far apart. We will just have to agree to somewhat disagree.

You dont believe a Drivers pay and a PT boxliners pay is that far a part??? LOL are you kidding?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
How much should an entry level menial labor job pay? I somewhat agree that part timers are under paid. With the negotiated wage, it's not that far off. I'd like to see $12 after making book maybe. $10 during probation. Then drop the progression and just go with negotiated raises. UPS would probably even out money wise not having to retrain people who drop out. That was how Henry Ford ran his company. They seem to be doing quite alright 100 years later. I still maintain that after 12 months with pension payments and benefits, part timers are compensated reasonably well. If you take away the pension payments (since it takes 5 years to become vested and most don't last that long), then they're still payed quite alright. It's doesn't seem like it exists because it's not on your pay stub.

How much should an entry level menial labor job pay? I somewhat agree that part timers are under paid. With the negotiated wage, it's not that far off. I'd like to see $12 after making book maybe. $10 during probation. Then drop the progression and just go with negotiated raises. UPS would probably even out money wise not having to retrain people who drop out. That was how Henry Ford ran his company. They seem to be doing quite alright 100 years later. I still maintain that after 12 months with pension payments and benefits, part timers are compensated reasonably well. If you take away the pension payments (since it takes 5 years to become vested and most don't last that long), then they're still payed quite alright. It's doesn't seem like it exists because it's not on your pay stub.

menial labor job huh?? So drivers have to be rocket scientists I guess.....lol You must have your Masters from the IVY league to be a UPS driver.......lol. I personally think preload is physically harder and Drivers put up with more bull ****. But the wages are WAY off.. I think $12-13 is a reasonable starting wage, and like you idea of the raises. Our benefits are on par with one another. yours better than mine since I havent hit a year yet. Main reason I took this as a second job. Part timers shouldnt look to become rich doing this but $10 is laughable. Hours are horrid, work conditions are worse....lol

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
menial labor job huh?? So drivers have to be rocket scientists I guess.....lol You must have your Masters from the IVY league to be a UPS driver.......lol. I personally think preload is physically harder and Drivers put up with more bull ****. But the wages are WAY off.. I think $12-13 is a reasonable starting wage, and like you idea of the raises. Our benefits are on par with one another. yours better than mine since I havent hit a year yet. Main reason I took this as a second job. Part timers shouldnt look to become rich doing this but $10 is laughable. Hours are horrid, work conditions are worse....lol
I'm not saying that drivers are rocket scientists, however UPS has found a way to make delivering cardboard hard with air commits, special accounts, and the like. For a lot of people it's 9-10 hours away from home and hearth. The job is menial. Drivers do deserve their pay, but it's beginning to approach the end of it's scale imo. It takes little in the way of brain power beyond a little common sense however. Now I don't think anyone on the executive committee is worth what they make either. Being a CEO in the US these days is one of the most criminal aspects of our society. If these people were business owners, then yes, make aaaaaaallll the money. They're not, they're friggen employees like us and should be compensated accordingly. I can see making 100k...period, no stock options and crap like that. Yes part timers do work hard. Very hard. The job isn't meant however to be a family wage job. It was created for college students and for people to supplement their income. Construction workers on their first day make pretty much the same wage without the benefits package anywhere down the road so I would place it at competitive.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I would make it my mission in life to destroy that woman. Anyone that makes this job ****tier than it was to be deserves to get jammed up in every form and fashion: for every warning letter, she should get five grievances. Once you lay down a steady wall of withering fire from at least 4 or 5 union members it's a fun game to play. You win when the labor manager sits her down and gives her the "calm it down, accept a transfer, or get ready to resign" talk.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You part timers in these union threads make me laugh !! LOL

You make me laugh Hefferman.

If you don't like us here, get a job at Wal-Mart!

Hahahaha
That doesn't even make sense

:rolleyes:

The Union and UPS feel you are paid appropriately. You also knew how much you were getting paid when you filled out the application.

The ONLY part timers I feel sorry for are the ones holding on to hope to get that full time spot. 99% of these are in smaller centers that don't provide enough employee movement because of lack of employee's retiring , firing , quitting , or dying.

The Union or UPS can not help you there !!! PERIOD

Hahahaha
That doesn't even make sense

:rolleyes:

The Union and UPS feel you are paid appropriately. You also knew how much you were getting paid when you filled out the application.

The ONLY part timers I feel sorry for are the ones holding on to hope to get that full time spot. 99% of these are in smaller centers that don't provide enough employee movement because of lack of employee's retiring , firing , quitting , or dying.

The Union or UPS can not help you there !!! PERIOD

I realize I knew the pay when i got the job but im talking about the CONTRACT genius. We are negotiating right? So Im saying the $10 they are rumored to be proposing is laughable and $12-13 is more reasonable. But being a driver you are so much smarter than I. I bow to your Ivy league education that Im sure you have being a driver!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I realize I knew the pay when i got the job but im talking about the CONTRACT genius. We are negotiating right? So Im saying the $10 they are rumored to be proposing is laughable and $12-13 is more reasonable. But being a driver you are so much smarter than I. I bow to your Ivy league education that Im sure you have being a driver!

LOL

Chad from your first post on BC , you mentioned you are not getting benefits yet because you haven't worked at UPS for a year.

The thought that you honestly think you have the credible credentials to compare the disparity of PT wages to FT driving just scares me !
You have a lot to learn and growing up to do. Enjoy the slice of the pie UPS is obligated to give you.

PS :

Most drivers honestly made less than you at your career stage but stuck with it.
I hope you were genetically blessed with enough testicular fortitude to do the same.

:smartass::smartass::smartass::smartass::smartass:

Last edited: