I feel like i should be making more as a part timer of 9 years.

quamba 638

Well, using that logic, UPS could just leave your pay rate the same, and have you work 30 hours per week. That would be a 50% wage increase!

I was responding to the point that Hoaxster made, that perhaps part timers should be paid more money upfront, without the expectations of it being a permanent job. It occurred to me that many of the PT people who complain the loudest, are making well over $10 per hour. They have insurance, a pension, and they are receiving the same per hour increases as drivers--which is a much larger percentage of their wage. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Maybe it would be better to pay part timers half of driver pay with no benefits (at least no pension); but then they would only get half of the yearly raise amount.

I'm actually pleased with my wage, which is substantially less than a driver's. But I also find it embarrassing that in a union shop, five years from now the average FT will be pulling in $100K (!) whereas PTers will be starting out near what will likely be minimum wage. I also find it interesting that the same drivers who whine & cry about how under-compensated they are, how much retiree benefits will cost, etc. are the same ones scolding PTers for complaining about their wages. Some many companies have begun hiring two PT employees in lieu of one FT in effort to pay inferior wages (nevermind the benefits) -- it's just not right. Being tagged as "part-time" should not equate into a two-tier wage system.

Well said. I'm not bagging on drivers at all but at my hub a group of drivers always congregate in the parking lot after work complaining about the days events. I always sit in my truck before work for 10 minutes prior to my shift. These guys hate their jobs. In the past they wore shirts that said : UPS = Unfair Pay Standards.

They sound like a bunch of old hens clucking over petty stuff. Making 32 an hour seems unfair to some I guess.

Does UPS even require a high school diploma for employment? Honestly. I can't remember providing proof.....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm going to make it a point to follow the Heffer around and once he comments on something... Boom! I'll tell him to get a job @ wal-mart if he doesn't like it.

I take a side on an argument and make my points !!!

BTW, Did any Part Timers go to Walmart and compare their Health Care Benefits yet ? Still waiting !

Just in case any more PT crybabies are still bitching

Walmart Career - Home !!

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Good thing you're not on the negotiating committee. The part-timers wouldn't ever see a raise.

I can't help but wonder why people like you don't want to see a part-timer get the chance to go combo sooner or get a good raise. People like you talk about putting in your time. Well... how long does someone need to put in their time? At my hub the wait is over 11 years to go combo and the wait to go driver is 25 years due to combos trying to go driver. How long did you have to wait to go driving or combo? The reason you aren't complaining is because you can pay to have your house, and spend money on your wife. After 11 years, I think a part-timer has the right to be pissed that they can't get over 20 hours in a week or make the same amount of money as someone else who does the same exact job. They've put their time in. Isn't that one of the major reasons the Teamsters went on strike in 1997: To END PART TIME POVERTY? So stop defending UPS being cheap, stop defending UPS wanting to not create more full-time jobs when the work and volume is there. UPS has enough money to create more combo jobs, but it is cheaper to have 3 or more part-time employees than it is combos. Get out of here with your Walmart comment. UPS should provide free healthcare. We're making them rich. $1 BILLION in profit in the first three months alone. Stop sounding like management and become a TEAMSTER. Let's stand together, not be divided.

I feel for the part timers that are waiting for their chances for Full Time employment. Sounds like there is a logjam in quite a few places. People have to understand that Feeders are full of retire-eligible people that are either scared to retire and lose the extra money OR didn't plan well enough for The Great Recession.

As a 6-year Part-timer, I spent my time wisely working elsewhere and was available when my number was called. The NUMBER 1 COMPLAINT from part-timers was the low staring wage which led to much turnover and undesirable employees.

ON BROWNCAFE, NOT ONE THREAD WAS STARTED BEFORE THE CONTRACT WAS AGREED STATING THAT ALL PART TIMERS NEED A RAISE !!!

NOT ONE THREAD !!

That's why I take exception to the few Part-timers on here bitching they make 16 bucks an hour and should be at 17.50 because its hard work !!

YOU SIGNED UP FOR IT , WAIT YOUR TURN !!!

Well said. I'm not bagging on drivers at all but at my hub a group of drivers always congregate in the parking lot after work complaining about the days events. I always sit in my truck before work for 10 minutes prior to my shift. These guys hate their jobs. In the past they wore shirts that said : UPS = Unfair Pay Standards.

They sound like a bunch of old hens clucking over petty stuff. Making 32 an hour seems unfair to some I guess.

Does UPS even require a high school diploma for employment? Honestly. I can't remember providing proof.....
Wait your turn you will get their! And when you get their you will understand....If you can make it that long!

UPS WORKHORSE

Well, using that logic, UPS could just leave your pay rate the same, and have you work 30 hours per week. That would be a 50% wage increase!

I was responding to the point that Hoaxster made, that perhaps part timers should be paid more money upfront, without the expectations of it being a permanent job. It occurred to me that many of the PT people who complain the loudest, are making well over $10 per hour. They have insurance, a pension, and they are receiving the same per hour increases as drivers--which is a much larger percentage of their wage. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Maybe it would be better to pay part timers half of driver pay with no benefits (at least no pension); but then they would only get half of the yearly raise amount.

It's unacceptable to not have the expectations of getting a full-time job at a unionized company that is going to make $4 Billion in profit this year. We fought against that logic in 1997, because people were tired of having 2 jobs just to pay the bills. Now the people who are full-time don't understand the position of those who are part-time that want to be full-time. I can't understand why that is. One would think that standing on a picket line for 15 days would cause them to think, "Damn. I remember when I took to the picket line just so I could get a decent salary, guaranteed hours, good insurance, and a nice pension. I can emphasize with these 11 year part-time employees and I remember their pain." But no. These same people forget where they came from and have bought into UPS's lie that UPS is a part-time company and these part-timers should feel lucky to have a job that pays insurance with no hope of becoming full-time. Sounds like today's part-timers think the same as pre 1997 part-timers, "I want a decent salary, guaranteed 40 hours, good insurance, and a good pension. I'm tired of PART-TIME POVERTY. I've slaved for 11 year to make UPS rich. I'd like to share in the profit I created."

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I take a side on an argument and make my points !!!

BTW, Did any Part Timers go to Walmart and compare their Health Care Benefits yet ? Still waiting !

Just in case any more PT crybabies are still bitching

Seriously?

What the heck does that have to do with anything?

FedEx Ground drivers perform the same work as you for less than half the pay and no health or retirement benefits!

And yes, UPS drivers are more productive than FedEx Ground employees but don't flatter yourself -- they work nearly as hard as you do, for in essence one-fourth to one-third the pay. I pulled a FedEx Ground route temporarily when UPS "terminated" me, and it was as difficult as any route I've pulled at UPS -- and I've done close to 100.

In five years, the average UPS driver will earn 100K -- using wage forecasts, the places them in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country. That's for MENIAL work. That's absolutely insane. And even more insane is the fact that their union counterparts will be earning near minimum wage. Guess who's subsiding YOUR pay?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Seriously?

What the heck does that have to do with anything?

FedEx Ground drivers perform the same work as you for less than half the pay and no health or retirement benefits!

And yes, UPS drivers are more productive than FedEx Ground employees but don't flatter yourself -- they work nearly as hard as you do, for in essence one-fourth to one-third the pay. I pulled a FedEx Ground route temporarily when UPS "terminated" me, and it was as difficult as any route I've pulled at UPS -- and I've done close to 100.

In five years, the average UPS driver will earn 100K -- using wage forecasts, the places them in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country. That's for MENIAL work. That's absolutely insane. And even more insane is the fact that their union counterparts will be earning near minimum wage. Guess who's subsiding YOUR pay?

Thankfully, I didn't spend 18 years toiling at FED-EX

UPS pays drivers that salary because they are worth it, IF NOT they would not pay it !!! SIMPLE AND PRECISE

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You slaved part time ... right?

Because I'm absolute total dork who enjoys statistics, I map out my hours on a spreadsheet. For the first ten years of my career with UPS, the fewest hours per week I averaged was 36 - in my first year of employment. Most years I topped 40. It wasn't until the last few years, when I relinquished driving seasonally in favor of returning to school, coupled with UPS's aggressive hiring / subsequent hours reduction that I started working 17.5.

Amazingly, with nearly 10 years driving experience, I earn just north of $16/hour doing (most of the time) MORE stops than the driver's I'm covering. (And usually wind up bailing out a driver every night. I'm definitely no runner, I just work hard.) I've actually brought this up at the union meetings -- there should be pay hikes for subsequent seasonal years.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Thankfully, I didn't spend 18 years toiling at FED-EX

UPS pays drivers that salary because they are worth it, IF NOT they would not pay it !!! SIMPLE AND PRECISE

LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!

Really? UPS pays drivers that salary because of the "power" the Teamsters have. If not for the union, you'd be making less than HALF what you do, and paying toward your benefits.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!

Really? UPS pays drivers that salary because of the "power" the Teamsters have. If not for the union, you'd be making less than HALF what you do, and paying toward your benefits.

OH WELL , THAT"S WHY I PAY MY DUES

HARD WORK + DETERMINATION + PATIENCE = 4 FIGURE PAYCHECKS

Do The Math then Follow That Path !!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
OH WELL , THAT"S WHY I PAY MY DUES

HARD WORK + DETERMINATION + PATIENCE = 4 FIGURE PAYCHECKS

Do The Math

Wonder how many drivers would sign up for the job today...

***Stuck in a dead end job? UPS is a career.***
UPS is now accepting applications for the position of Preload package handler. As a package handler, you'll work part-time, typically beginning your day at 4:00AM and being aggressively chased from the building in less than 3 hours. You will get a work out loadng 1,200 packages per shift, while being micromanaged by three to four supervisors and managers. They will ensure that you're prepared for further careers by continually harassing you. UPS is offering a generous $8.50 to start -- employees typically take home less than a $100 after taxes, sometimes nothing when the union takes its share. After 10-15 years, you will have the opportunity to go FT.

UPS. What can Brown do for you? Brown will give you a career. What will you do with your $100?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yet people still ask me all the time how to get in as a part timer. As long as people keep filling the jobs....

In relation to this discussion,what's the point? :)

People keep filling FedEx Ground jobs at $30K/year with no benefits. You could cut driver's pay to $16/hour, 20% insurance deductible co-pay, 3% 401K match (no pension) and you'd still get a strong enough applicant base to replace all the current FTers without a hiccup.....

Doesn't excuse a strong union from negotiating near min wage for much of its membership.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In relation to this discussion,what's the point? :)

People keep filling FedEx Ground jobs at $30K/year with no benefits. You could cut driver's pay to $16/hour, 20% insurance deductible co-pay, 3% 401K match (no pension) and you'd still get a strong enough applicant base to replace all the current FTers without a hiccup.....

Doesn't excuse a strong union from negotiating near min wage for much of its membership.

30 years of the same starting wage? Some might say the PTmers aren't a union priority.

T

TheBrownGuy

As a package handler, you'll work part-time, typically beginning your day at 4:00AM and being aggressively chased from the building in less than 3 hours. You will get a work out loadng 1,200 packages per shift

This is not a jab...I remember 30 years ago the "MAR" for loaders was 600 per hour, 1,200 packages per hour unloading. Is 1,200 packages for a 3 hour shift the current "MAR"?

pretender

I'm actually pleased with my wage, which is substantially less than a driver's. But I also find it embarrassing that in a union shop, five years from now the average FT will be pulling in $100K (!) whereas PTers will be starting out near what will likely be minimum wage. I also find it interesting that the same drivers who whine & cry about how under-compensated they are, how much retiree benefits will cost, etc. are the same ones scolding PTers for complaining about their wages. Some many companies have begun hiring two PT employees in lieu of one FT in effort to pay inferior wages (nevermind the benefits) -- it's just not right. Being tagged as "part-time" should not equate into a two-tier wage system.

You are obviously an intelligent person, and I enjoy reading your posts. Either we just look at this from different perspectives, or I am not getting my point across...

However, every now and then you say something from out of the blue, that I just can't believe. I and my fellow drivers complained about a lot of things, but I never heard anyone cry about being under-compensated.

pretender

It's unacceptable to not have the expectations of getting a full-time job at a unionized company that is going to make $4 Billion in profit this year. We fought against that logic in 1997, because people were tired of having 2 jobs just to pay the bills. Now the people who are full-time don't understand the position of those who are part-time that want to be full-time. I can't understand why that is. One would think that standing on a picket line for 15 days would cause them to think, "Damn. I remember when I took to the picket line just so I could get a decent salary, guaranteed hours, good insurance, and a nice pension. I can emphasize with these 11 year part-time employees and I remember their pain." But no. These same people forget where they came from and have bought into UPS's lie that UPS is a part-time company and these part-timers should feel lucky to have a job that pays insurance with no hope of becoming full-time. Sounds like today's part-timers think the same as pre 1997 part-timers, "I want a decent salary, guaranteed 40 hours, good insurance, and a good pension. I'm tired of PART-TIME POVERTY. I've slaved for 11 year to make UPS rich. I'd like to share in the profit I created."

I am not so sure that the strike in '97 was over part timers rights. However, assuming it was, it puts to lie the claim that full timers have sold out the PTers. I can't help but wonder if the creation of 22.3 jobs, has actually slowed the progression to driving, through unintended consequences...

When I was part time, there was no provision in the contract to go into driving. If you did a good job, you might have only waited 6 months. If you were a slacker, you would never be asked. Even after the article was negotiated, it was much stricter than the current 6/1 rate (either 1/1 or 2/1--I can't recall). There was no pension or tuition assistance for part timers either. So, it wasn't QUITE as easy as it is sometimes portrayed.

blue efficacy

These people just don't understand a PT Job isn't forever OR A CAREER

Your benefits working PART TIME more than outweigh your pay !!! I work 50 hours a week PLUS, and you get the same benefits as me !!!! That's the crime !!! lol

Cry me a river !!!! If you are not happy, GO TO WALMART !!!!! Ask them about their free healthcare for employees !!!! :whatever:
Ask anywhere else about paying YOU over $30/hr to drive a truck and deliver boxes. The fact that we make half what you make (in many cases less than a third of what you make!) should make the fact that we get the same health benefits as you a moot point. That is like the noble complaining the serf's grass is just as green as his.
Who cares if it is a career or not? First, many PT would like to go FT, but you guys are too busy stuffing your own pockets so that it is not economical for the company to make more than the bare minimum number of FT positions. Second, many places pay PT the same as FT, the difference being you work less hours and that is the only reason you make less overall.