I got into my first fender bender with a parked car, whats to follow?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It’s difficult to get fired from FedEx. Don’t steal. Don’t lie. Don’t falsify. Don’t have too many accidents. And no workplace violence. Those are reasons to get fired. Do everything as told and you’ll be fine. If you have questions about anything either ask your manager or a senior courier. Just do your job.
Knew a 30+ year employee who got suspended because a CSA “overheard a remark” that she considered sexual harassment, so there’s that, too.

(He was reinstated, she eventually got fired for an unrelated violation)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Knew a 30+ year employee who got suspended because a CSA “overheard a remark” that she considered sexual harassment, so there’s that, too.

(He was reinstated, she eventually got fired for an unrelated violation)
We had a courier whose wife was also a courier at my station. He was in his late 40s and had the hots for a young cute CSA. He kept flirting with her and she ignored it because she didn’t want to make waves and she liked the wife. One day he pulled her into a truck and felt her up. Still she didn’t say anything. It was found out because our security guy was checking the cameras a week later about something else. FIRED.

Guitarman01

Stress? Stress is what people get that aren't cut out for the job. If you stress out over being a courier, you better try another career.

As far as your buddy driving by a stopped school bus. That is total negligence. Just because others were doing it he should have his ass handed to him for that.
I think its a good thing to have some stress, its also natural.
Im just saying im aware of some of the long term risks associated with the job.
Driving in general is one of the more riskier professions.

falcon back

I think its a good thing to have some stress, its also natural.
Im just saying im aware of some of the long term risks associated with the job.
Driving in general is one of the more riskier professions.
Why do you want stress? Takes years off your life and can cause you to make mistakes, including having accidents. Leave the stress to the managers and dispatchers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You strike a fixed object like a boat trailer, you should always call a manager. The owner of the boat can call FDX and make trouble for the employee later. It's common sense. Probably why you wouldn't understand.
Just STFU for once!

Working4the1%

Thats one concern ive had about this job after being there for about half a year now.
The longevity of it. Is this really something I can see myself doing for 20+ years?
It is a risky job.
You are constantly reminded of everything that can get you "fired" or three strikes and you are out.
Lets say after 5 something years I start making pretty good money, is this the kind of job I would feel comfortable having a mortgage and a car payment with?
One of the guys that trained me, a good hard worker has been there for 20+ years,
hes on probation because he drove past a bus with its stop sign out as other cars were going, someone happen to call on him.
Yea, not a good move, but the job already causes enough mental stress and fatigue as it is.
It seems like a couple mental lapses or a brief bad stint that could happen consecutively and thats it,
thats your job.
I dont like that, and it makes me feel uneasy about a long term future with Express.
Pay off house as soon as possible.. gives you some security.

MassWineGuy

I think Dano makes some good points. I should have at least called my manager. I’ll tell her today. The extraordinarily slight dent to the back of my 2012 van fit right in with all the other dents.

There was a guy at our station who shoplifted from a Walgreens on his route. They banned him from the store, but he didn’t get fired. I think of this and how my job is relatively safe. Then there’s the guy who verbally threatened to hurt someone. He wasn’t fired.

Guitar: I agree 110 percent. It’s a very tough place to count on job security. Takes a mental toll.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think Dano makes some good points. I should have at least called my manager. I’ll tell her today. The extraordinarily slight dent to the back of my 2012 van fit right in with all the other dents.

There was a guy at our station who shoplifted from a Walgreens on his route. They banned him from the store, but he didn’t get fired. I think of this and how my job is relatively safe.

Guitar: I agree 110 percent. It’s a very tough place to count on job security. Takes a mental tole.
Tole: painted, enameled, or lacquered tinplate used to make decorative domestic objects.

falcon back

There was a guy at our station who shoplifted from a Walgreens on his route. They banned him from the store, but he didn’t get fired. I think of this and how my job is relatively safe.

Guitar: I agree 110 percent. It’s a very tough place to count on job security. Takes a mental toll.
LOL. Dano never said call your manager. He said you should ignore your responsibility and move on. I wouldn't tell anyone about it today. That could get you in hot water. If you didn't report it at the time it happened, you might not want to say anything and hope for the best.

Still don't understand people posting about stress and mental toll. You deliver and pick up packages, not perform brain surgery. What is stressful or mentally taxing about that? Nothing in your job requires stress, physical assertion yes, but not mental.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Failure to report an accident can lead up to and include termination. If he took a picture before leaving that’s different.
What accident? Guy says courier hit his trailer, but there's no damage to either the trailer or truck. Courier says he didn't and that he understands that the guy thinks he did, as he was really close to it, but no, didn't happen.