I Gotta Lose The Goatee To Drive? :censored::censored::censored:?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreluck
Yeah, they don't want you lookin' like Maynard G. Krebs......:wink2:

Your aging your self with this reply.

LOOPER....it's just part of the education process. I figure the references will send folks scrambling to Yahoo or Google to find out who Maynard is. Yes, there was life before Gilligan......and yes. I did watch it.

Just tesing.I have watched it.With all these cable channels you can find just about everything.When I was a young kid in the 70's my favorite show was Leave it to beaver which was in black and white.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Tell us how your first day of driving went. And all the problems you had with the DIAD board. Saturday Air is THE best way to learn how to drive and use the DIAD board without too much stress. 20 stops in 3 hours. how easy. And are you really going management? Think twice. Did you ever find out how long the wait is to go full-time driving? I think your wife would like you better as a driver. Think of the money you would save in suits! And you sound more "blue-collar" than "white-collar." Just my two cents.

My saturdays are pretty gravy..on avg 25 to 30 stops.

Today I had 9. :surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I occasionally run Saturday air and it is always cake. The only part that I don't care for is any NDA that we P/U has to be shuttled to Potsdam, NY, which is about 90 minutes away, so that they can then forward it on down to Syracuse. With an 8am start, having to run to Potsdam makes for a long day (usually 5:30-6pm) but a sweet paycheck the following Friday as it goes on the previous week's check.

Of course, they would rather use a part timer but the Saturday sup likes to use me when the part timer has the day off as I have strong area knowledge.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Tell us how your first day of driving went. And all the problems you had with the DIAD board. Saturday Air is THE best way to learn how to drive and use the DIAD board without too much stress. 20 stops in 3 hours. how easy. And are you really going management? Think twice. Did you ever find out how long the wait is to go full-time driving? I think your wife would like you better as a driver. Think of the money you would save in suits! And you sound more "blue-collar" than "white-collar." Just my two cents.

First day of driving - (I promised I'd be honest as possible with all my posts)

I was nervous. Driving part was easy, no problems.
DIAD? SUP I drove with knew how to use it very well. Again, being honest, I am not picking up on it as quickly as I would have liked to. At first, he might as well have handed a calculator to a goldfish.

By the end of the day I was doing the diad / deliveries myself, but I am NOT by any stretch of the imagination comfortable with it. Feel maybe 15%. Next Saturday with SUP again.

Hell of alot easier than unloading the trailers. I'm POSITIVE I won't feel that way during week routes, however.

With regards to MANAGEMENT -

My very first post explained I've gone through a huge life change, hence my working at UPS now. UPS is the first time in my life I worked for anyone else (except when I was a teen, I worked at Burger King). I have management experience. I have company ownership experience.

I would not take a management position at UPS, any company, for any amount of money. Anyone who has owned their own company for a while will understand. Anyone who has NOT owned a company, it is impossible to explain.

Overpaid Union Thug

I occasionally run Saturday air and it is always cake. The only part that I don't care for is any NDA that we P/U has to be shuttled to Potsdam, NY, which is about 90 minutes away, so that they can then forward it on down to Syracuse. With an 8am start, having to run to Potsdam makes for a long day (usually 5:30-6pm) but a sweet paycheck the following Friday as it goes on the previous week's check.

Of course, they would rather use a part timer but the Saturday sup likes to use me when the part timer has the day off as I have strong area knowledge.

Here full-timers are not to drive Saturday air unless no part-time drivers are available. That hasn't happened in years. I wish they'd let us work on Saturdays though. I'd be out there just about every Saturday.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Yay!! You made it!!!

Soooo...how many stops did you take out?? Were you in just one zip or did you cover a couple?
DIAD on saturdays is a different ballgame than during the week. Just alot of repetition. I wish wish wish we didnt have to toggle between numbers and letters..it sure would make things go faster :)
But if you can type in your addy and scan a package in less than a minute...you'll be all good :)

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Yay!! You made it!!!

Soooo...how many stops did you take out?? Were you in just one zip or did you cover a couple?
DIAD on saturdays is a different ballgame than during the week. Just alot of repetition. I wish wish wish we didnt have to toggle between numbers and letters..it sure would make things go faster :)
But if you can type in your addy and scan a package in less than a minute...you'll be all good :)

Kind of you - thanks!

15 stops (Made me wonder why we took a huge truck instead of one of the minivans) Two areas, 80+ miles. 3 pickups.

"...toggle between #s and letters..." I hear that. And is it me, but do the pictures on the buttons seem like just random characters? I'm sure I'll get used to it.....

bellesotico

BOXstar
Kind of you - thanks!

15 stops (Made me wonder why we took a huge truck instead of one of the minivans) Two areas, 80+ miles. 3 pickups.

"...toggle between #s and letters..." I hear that. And is it me, but do the pictures on the buttons seem like just random characters? I'm sure I'll get used to it.....

Sheeesh! Thats alot of miles!!! I average about 30 miles..but I live in a medium size city. Was it rural? Our pick ups are later in the day...and we have someone that comes in to do those. It's just our UPS stores and the drop boxes.
I have two zips as well. A lot of ground to cover...but I happen to live in the area I run..so I'm pretty familiar with the streets.
Invest in a really good map, one that shows the number breaks in the streets, then go through and highlight them.

No it's not just you regarding the pics on the the buttons..lol. You will get used to them though. It's really just a matter of positioning. Your fingers will just get used to where the buttons are. You will know that the signature button is top far right. Stop complete is the checkmark right below it..etc...
What I found most confusing at first was "big arrow" and "little arrow". To be honest..the arrow buttons looked the same size to me..LOL..but the "little" arrow is on the left and the "big" arrow is on the right.

Ok..DIAD lesson over. LMAO!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Sheeesh! Thats alot of miles!!! I average about 30 miles..but I live in a medium size city. Was it rural? Our pick ups are later in the day...and we have someone that comes in to do those. It's just our UPS stores and the drop boxes.
I have two zips as well. A lot of ground to cover...but I happen to live in the area I run..so I'm pretty familiar with the streets.
Invest in a really good map, one that shows the number breaks in the streets, then go through and highlight them.

No it's not just you regarding the pics on the the buttons..lol. You will get used to them though. It's really just a matter of positioning. Your fingers will just get used to where the buttons are. You will know that the signature button is top far right. Stop complete is the checkmark right below it..etc...
What I found most confusing at first was "big arrow" and "little arrow". To be honest..the arrow buttons looked the same size to me..LOL..but the "little" arrow is on the left and the "big" arrow is on the right.

Ok..DIAD lesson over. LMAO!

And who the HELL is ED?

bellesotico

BOXstar
1/2 our deliveries were not on the DIAD, typing it in manually seems like a royal pain.

It is a pain, but you get used to it. Should take less than a minute to type in the addy and scan. Figure it this way..you really only need to enter in the address number..street..hit override..then rd/st whatever..your city shouldn't change..and then you may only have to change your zip. Scan your package....and then its either sig req. or a DR.

Repetition... :happy-very:

brownrodster

Yes....they want you clean shaven to offset the sloppy fitting Chinese uniforms you will be wearing in your mud encrusted, dirt covered package car.

In my case they want me clean shaven to offset the ill fitting, borrowed, faded, ratty, torn, broken zipper, ink and paint stained, wrinkled, soiled, unwashed uniform I will be wearing in my mud encrusted, dirt covered, package car.

We must keep our priorities straight.

brownrodster

Here full-timers are not to drive Saturday air unless no part-time drivers are available. That hasn't happened in years. I wish they'd let us work on Saturdays though. I'd be out there just about every Saturday.

Same here. No FTers on saturday unless absolutely necessary. They use FTers a few saturday's during peak and during a couple other holidays such as mohters day. I think I'll get about 5 saturdays in during a year at most.