I hope you Christmas gift wasn't due on Friday

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
the packages were suppose to be delivered Thurs-Fri,Blizzard came on Sunday.You're not the brightest i see.You remind me of an Ops Manager.

Smith himself has been quoted that he's disappointed with the management talent pool at FedEx. The best and brightest go elsewhere. Who's to blame for that, Fred?

FedEx2000

the packages were suppose to be delivered Thurs-Fri,Blizzard came on Sunday.You're not the brightest i see.You remind me of an Ops Manager.

My station isn't one of those that couldn't get the freight delivered before Xmas, nice personal attack though.....seems to be all anyone on here is good at anymore. What's your plan? Being so smart yourself, I assume it isn't to be a courier for life.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My station isn't one of those that couldn't get the freight delivered before Xmas, nice personal attack though.....seems to be all anyone on here is good at anymore. What's your plan? Being so smart yourself, I assume it isn't to be a courier for life.....

Nice. Implicit in your statement is the "superiority" of being a manager. Get over it.

vantexan

May I ask does FedEx want career couriers?

FedEx2000

Nice. Implicit in your statement is the "superiority" of being a manager. Get over it.

No "Superiority" complex/issues here. Read his original statement, seemed to contradict itself first blaming the issue on planning and then in the same post on weather....he clarified that in the follow-up post. Then he decided to make it personal, not me. I was a courier, and I would have no problem being a courier again...not too good for any of it. Don't mistake the fact that I chose to be a manager with me thinking that you or anyone is "just " a courier....I'll leave that up to the geniuses running your station.

FedEx2000

May I ask does FedEx want career couriers?

Van, it was just in response to his post where he decided to make it personal. Since FDX Guy is obviously much brighter than I am, I can only assume he has a better plan in mind and many other options.

Personally, I would much prefer career couriers.....but that is not as common as it used to be unfortunately, for all the various reasons that are discussed on here each day. Does FDX want them? I can't speak on their behalf, but I'm sure others will, and will most likely say "No" due to the pay structure etc.

vantexan

Personally, I would much prefer career couriers.....but that is not as common as it used to be unfortunately, for all the various reasons that are discussed on here each day. Does FDX want them? I can't speak on their behalf, but I'm sure others will, and will most likely say "No" due to the pay structure etc.

OK, but every once in awhile it comes out in your posts that you see couriers as a bit inferior. You may well be right, but I come from a time when the pay and benefits reflected a solid future. Of course that was a long time ago. Frankly I'm figuratively holding my nose every day to deal with the scam this job has become and will do so until I can leave. And mgrs are enablers for this scam, so while they may feel superior, it must be a burden to come to work every day and tell eager newhires that if they hang in there and work hard they'll be rewarded. At the end of the day I'll take less money rather than do that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, but every once in awhile it comes out in your posts that you see couriers as a bit inferior. You may well be right, but I come from a time when the pay and benefits reflected a solid future. Of course that was a long time ago. Frankly I'm figuratively holding my nose every day to deal with the scam this job has become and will do so until I can leave. And mgrs are enablers for this scam, so while they may feel superior, it must be a burden to come to work every day and tell eager newhires that if they hang in there and work hard they'll be rewarded. At the end of the day I'll take less money rather than do that.

The "ideal" courier candidate/employee would leave after 5 years. Most employees are figuring it out much more quickly than they used to, so larger numbers will be hitting the door sooner, creating a revolving-door workforce that could really care less. Judging from pay actions and the general way FedEx treats us, it's obvious that they don't want career employees at the hourly level.

And, FedEx2000, it's also obvious that you look down on us.

vantexan

The "ideal" courier candidate/employee would leave after 5 years. Most employees are figuring it out much more quickly than they used to, so larger numbers will be hitting the door sooner, creating a revolving-door workforce that could really care less. Judging from pay actions and the general way FedEx treats us, it's obvious that they don't want career employees at the hourly level.

And if it gets harder to find newhires they can always poach drivers from Ground. Express IS a good deal compared to Ground, and that's not saying much.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And if it gets harder to find newhires they can always poach drivers from Ground. Express IS a good deal compared to Ground, and that's not saying much.

McDonald's is a good deal compared to Ground. You don't have to speak English to work there either.

FedExer267

Ya it pretty bad at Ground when you speak perfect english and you are the minority. I remember when I started this place the customers on the route were so thrilled that they had a driver they could understand.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I gotta say, that's dead-on. I'll be hitting the door right around my 5 yr. anniversary. I can't compete and / or refuse to get treated they way I do just because I'm a less than ~15 yr. employee.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ya it pretty bad at Ground when you speak perfect english and you are the minority. I remember when I started this place the customers on the route were so thrilled that they had a driver they could understand.

Our local Ground driver speaks fluent Spanish, so whenever I have a problem with a delivery (like it belongs 2 miles away), I just don't bother with him. Many of the Ground drivers in my route area are Russian, but most speak passable English.

FedEx2000

I think you are seeing what you want to again in my posts. How is it "obvious"?

Some of my best friends are couriers and I'll go on the road in a heartbeat to help out one of my couriers. I unload with the handlers on the AM sort every morning, don't have to, but i do......if I felt so superior to couriers, I would never stoop to handler work would I? Point is, I, in no way, look down upon or feel superior to couriers. I would have done the job much longer, but I started at 21 and didn't want to be broken down by the time I was 45-50.....so I chose to go in to management, and just b/c of that fact, many people on here (and in the real world) resent that decision and consider you a sell-out. I made a decision that I felt was best for me and my future, if you don't agree with that I don't really care....you should/would all do the same and do what is best for you. Maybe at some point I have posted something that was interpreted in such a way that some took it to mean that I felt that way towards couriers/hourlies and if so that was not my intent. I may have reacted to something someone posted directed at me that came off in such a manner, but let's be honest.....most of the posts on here directed at managers are not very kind....many deservedly so. All too often though, it is made as a generalization of all managers at FDX. If I make a comment that all couriers at FDX are lazy, do you not take offense to that?

Some on here have had the unfortunate opportunity to work for some very bad managers; they exist in every company, not just here.....you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. If you think I am one of those managers, you couldn't pick out a good manager to save your life.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I started at 21 and didn't want to be broken down by the time I was 45-50.....so I chose to go in to management
I think that was very smart of you. Seeing that clearly ahead at a young age.

....most of the posts on here directed at managers are not very kind...
I'm surprised to see any OPS manager that has time to waste posting on this site. All the OPS managers I ever see are way over-worked

FedEx2000

I think that was very smart of you. Seeing that clearly ahead at a young age.

I'm surprised to see any OPS manager that has time to waste posting on this site. All the OPS managers I ever see are way over-worked

I question the time I spend on here as well, but hey, someone has to give an opinion around here that doesn't go along with everything that MFE says....though we have agreed on 2 or 3 things. Please don't confuse the 5-10 minutes I spend here with the fact that I'm not overworked, mostly by choice....10 hrs is usually a short day....but I'm single with no kids so I always work doubles when the PM mgr is on vacation etc. I signed up for it, so not complaining.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I question the time I spend on here as well, but hey, someone has to give an opinion around here that doesn't go along with everything that MFE says....though we have agreed on 2 or 3 things. Please don't confuse the 5-10 minutes I spend here with the fact that I'm not overworked, mostly by choice....10 hrs is usually a short day....but I'm single with no kids so I always work doubles when the PM mgr is on vacation etc. I signed up for it, so not complaining.

I'd agree that most Ops managers are overworked. Many moons ago, friend of mine was a newbie manager for a month when the senior got canned for having sex with a direct report. He became a defacto senior overnight and almost had a nervous breakdown covering both the AM and the PM operations. The other managers, who should have gotten the nod, weren't up to the task, so this new person got hosed and was out of management within the year. It took over 6 months to get a new senior in-place.

I see managers covering both sides of the operation all the time. That translates to at least a 14 hr day, with all of the drama, whining, butt-kissing, and operational headaches thrown-in for good measure. They don't tend to last very long, nor do their relationships. A heavy price to pay for joining the FedEx version of Fred's dream organization....the USMC.

Fred doesn't seem to understand that you cannot succesfully overlay the organizational structure of the Marine Corps onto a civilian private enterprise where people aren't completely immersed in the culture and/or brainwashing of the military. He keeps trying anyway, doesn't he?