I just applied for a PT package handler position

MiiMee

I already have one. There is no accountability. It's too easy to go home after work. I am going to give UPS a try. I have several friends who did something similar. They were in their 50's and older and they lost a ton of weight. Others did it for the health benefits.

A gym membership might be cheaper than the mental anguish of drowning in boxes 5 days a week

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
I already have one. There is no accountability. It's too easy to go home after work. I am going to give UPS a try. I have several friends who did something similar. They were in their 50's and older and they lost a ton of weight. Others did it for the health benefits.
Well good luck to ya

teeitupmo

I am an unloader and you certainly can lose weight. In fact, I have to eat and eat and eat or I will lose weight if I keep the 3 meals a day plan.

I truly look at my UPS job as a work out. Once I start My shift, I use my Apple to track my steps, heart rate, and calorie burn.

Before break is one work out and after break is another workout. Before break, I burn about 700-800 calories. After break, it's usually 700-1000 calories. Doing the math, that is almost 2000 calories burned, before most working people get to their office.

At that rate, I have to eat and eat and eat...just to maintain my 210lbs. Which is my playing weight (back in the day).

So you can lose weight working at UPS, don't let anyone tell you different.

J

jibbs

What is a feeder?

Not sure if this is a serious question or sarcastic because your post count is low so I'm assuming you may be new?

But anyways, feeders are the trailers that preload unloads out of and (I forget which but) another shift loads. At least in my building, they load and unload feeders on separate shifts. Not sure if they do it all during the preload at other hubs and centers.

[EDIT: Ahhh, beaten to the punch. Yeah. Tractor trailers, lol.]

Before break is one work out and after break is another workout.

And that's only if you're working a shift/building that actually gives you official breaks. Here? You just make sure you're clean and go do what you gotta do as fast as you can, hoping you've got a friendly enough neighbor to at least pull for you if you can't clear the belt first for whatever reason. It's a little easier on the guys at the bottom of the belts, though, for sure.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
ups is nothing like you have ever done trust me.

You're a cool dude, and you understand my background but honestly UPS is cake. I think a lot of it has to do with your mindset going into it.

That being said, sitting in an office all day to UPS might be a struggle at first but nothing that an average person can't handle with the right attitude

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You're a cool dude, and you understand my background but honestly UPS is cake. I think a lot of it has to do with your mindset going into it.

That being said, sitting in an office all day to UPS might be a struggle at first but nothing that an average person can't handle with the right attitude
The point being is how much of a toll ups takes on your body, your still young. Give it some time

J

jibbs

The point being is how much of a toll ups takes on your body, your still young. Give it some time

I agree with that but I was under the impression that he was also running his own lawn business (or at the very least heavily involved) and assumed he wasn't exactly fresh out of high school, you know?

But yeah, it'll all wear you down over the years-- physically and mentally. Some people make it, some people don't... and I'm still on the fence about which side I'll land on in the long run, mostly in the mental department. The physicality of the job is a piece of cake once you acclimate to it.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Here? You just make sure you're clean and go do what you gotta do as fast as you can, hoping you've got a friendly enough neighbor to at least pull for you if you can't clear the belt first for whatever reason. It's a little easier on the guys at the bottom of the belts, though, for sure.
Wow. That just bottled my mind. You got stuff tying you down where you're at? I'd transfer and move if I were you. Your hub sounds like a sweet piece of hell

J

jibbs

Wow. That just bottled my mind. You got stuff tying you down where you're at? I'd transfer and move if I were you. Your hub sounds like a sweet piece of hell

center*

But I learned today that we move an almost-equal amount of volume per day as the Alexandria, VA hub.

It was actually amazing until the new preload supe' and building manager tag-teamed the building by rollling in at the same time about 3 weeks ago. Now? Yep. Feels like a labor camp some days.

[EDIT: As far as being tied down... Only my immediate family is local, but I'm born and raised in my area, you know? This is home to me and always will be, no matter how much it changes over the years. I've moved away a few times-- college, girlfriend, just trying a roommate situation out-- but I always end up back in my hometown, which is basically a suburban city nowadays (if that makes any sense.)

I've been putting out applications but I really want to get out to Washington or Colorado, for obvious reasons to the well-informed. Alaska would actually be dope for the type of person I am, but it's so wide-spread and I only know two people in the state, and one town that's more like a village than a town so... yeah...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I agree with that but I was under the impression that he was also running his own lawn business (or at the very least heavily involved) and assumed he wasn't exactly fresh out of high school, you know?

But yeah, it'll all wear you down over the years-- physically and mentally. Some people make it, some people don't... and I'm still on the fence about which side I'll land on in the long run, mostly in the mental department. The physicality of the job is a piece of cake once you acclimate to it.

Owner/operator. I'm almost 30.

Definitely hear you about the mental part though. I feel that's the hardest part.

As far as physical goes, I notice when I stop for a day or 2 I start to hurt. I'm usually solid during the week but Sundays kill me