I Just Don't Get It

JustDeliverIt

I recently went through my first bid at my building. I was cover for the first year and a half once going full time, learned suburb/country routes to cover high seniority vacations and such. Was always around scratch, never really bothered by management except for the occasional "bad day" which I never cared about. I always brought it back safe without injury or accident, work at a steady pace while always taking my full lunch.

Being towards the bottom of the bid list, ended up with a city route. Didn't want to cover, wanted my own route no matter how crappy. First few weeks, figured out all the little nuances of the route and seem to run it fine. Constantly told I'm around an hour over, having a talking to almost every morning.

So, being a city route with a lot of upper/lower homes, I stopped DR packages that have been fine to leave. Sending stuff to Access Points and redelivering the next day the other half of the route that doesn't send stuff to Access Points. Reduced DR stops by about 40/day from the previous bid driver. The last 10 days doing this, I'm suddenly only 20 minutes over.

What I don't get, is we provide a service. And this company, based on their numbers, is saying I'm doing a better job by not delivering packages. Making customers go to Access Points or wait extra days to receive their stuff. Another failure in a long line of issues IMO.

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli
I recently went through my first bid at my building. I was cover for the first year and a half once going full time, learned suburb/country routes to cover high seniority vacations and such. Was always around scratch, never really bothered by management except for the occasional "bad day" which I never cared about. I always brought it back safe without injury or accident, work at a steady pace while always taking my full lunch.

Being towards the bottom of the bid list, ended up with a city route. Didn't want to cover, wanted my own route no matter how crappy. First few weeks, figured out all the little nuances of the route and seem to run it fine. Constantly told I'm around an hour over, having a talking to almost every morning.

So, being a city route with a lot of upper/lower homes, I stopped DR packages that have been fine to leave. Sending stuff to Access Points and redelivering the next day the other half of the route that doesn't send stuff to Access Points. Reduced DR stops by about 40/day from the previous bid driver. The last 10 days doing this, I'm suddenly only 20 minutes over.

What I don't get, is we provide a service. And this company, based on their numbers, is saying I'm doing a better job by not delivering packages. Making customers go to Access Points or wait extra days to receive their stuff. Another failure in a long line of issues IMO.

It takes longer to get a signature or sheet a package up not in than it does to DR it. If it was ok to DR in the past, why not DR them now?

JustDeliverIt

It takes longer to get a signature or sheet a package up not in than it does to DR it. If it was ok to DR in the past, why not DR them now?

I get that concept. As per UPS methods, we should always get signatures at multi-dwelling homes. What boggles my mind is that by following their methods, the service we provide is not as good as it could be yet as a driver I am "rewarded" with better numbers. All while working at a steady pace, not running or skipping breaks/lunches. It just seems ridiculous.

Rutherford B Hays

I get that concept. As per UPS methods, we should always get signatures at multi-dwelling homes. What boggles my mind is that by following their methods, the service we provide is not as good as it could be yet as a driver I am "rewarded" with better numbers. All while working at a steady pace, not running or skipping breaks/lunches. It just seems ridiculous.

I know it is hard but just ignore their numbers. You sound like you have made seniority. They cant fire you for doing their methods , working safely, and honestly

JustDeliverIt

I know it is hard but just ignore their numbers. You sound like you have made seniority. They cant fire you for doing their methods , working safely, and honestly

I could care less about their numbers, it's more the annoying "talking to" every day. I work safe and to the best of my ability every day, that's never going to change.

Rutherford B Hays

I could care less about their numbers, it's more the annoying "talking to" every day. I work safe and to the best of my ability every day, that's never going to change.
Get used to it. They will always find something to "talk to " you about.
Try to do the best by the customers on your route

clean hairy

If they want to discuss production with you, make a Steward is there.
In fact, find a steward monday morning and mention it to him or her so they can have a little "talking to" with managememt about it.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Being over or under doesn't matter
The Union doesn't recognize production standards.
The numbers Management comes up with are meaningless and of no concern to you. The numbers are just like the people that come up with them.....utterly useless.

ManInBrown

You care way to much, just do the job and bring it in every day. Don’t worry about their stupid make believe Disney land numbers. Every time they call you in office reply with, yes boss I’ll try harder today.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I get that concept. As per UPS methods, we should always get signatures at multi-dwelling homes.
If there are separate doors for the apartments, on the outside of the structure, ok to Dr.
If there is an unsecured entrance, with doors for apts inside, no dr.
If there is one secure entrance, and you can't get in. No Dr.
If you can get into that secure entrance and to each door, Dr.

JustDeliverIt

You care way to much, just do the job and bring it in every day. Don’t worry about their stupid make believe Disney land numbers. Every time they call you in office reply with, yes boss I’ll try harder today.

Honestly, I care about doing the job to the best of my ability. That's it, the numbers don't bother me other than having the stupid conversation in the morning.

I guess the point of this was that I find it hard to believe that by delivering less it would make me look better. It just seems to be the exact opposite of what I should be doing. But @Indecisi0n was right:

Its about making as much money as possible. Even if its at the expense of the customer. It will catch up to them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As soon as they mention numbers tell them you need a steward present if they are going to discuss performance.

Dough99

Deep down you do care about their numbers..

turq

Honestly, I care about doing the job to the best of my ability. That's it, the numbers don't bother me other than having the stupid conversation in the morning.

I guess the point of this was that I find it hard to believe that by delivering less it would make me look better. It just seems to be the exact opposite of what I should be doing. But @Indecisi0n was right:

That's the right attitude. The numbers do bother all of us sometimes, but that's because of how stupid they are. Have you ever asked.... how exactly is that over allowed number arrived at anyway? You will get a lot of hemming and hawing with a sprinkle of allowances thrown in. Nobody I have ever asked at UPS can tell me exactly how they arrive at it....like 1+1 =2. Shhh It's a secret.....or possibly voodoo science who knows. What I do know is they can make it say anything they want it to. You have a new route, make it your own. Treat your customers right, kick all of our competitor's ass ( it's easy to do ), and you'll be amazed at how gratifying that can be. Works for me anyway.