I Might have set a UPS record!

Jim Kemp

I just turned 62 and look at us, we are both retired! YEE HA! Altho I retired 12.5 years ago, you got me thinking???? Was I ever written up? I guess I would have to say no! I was told I would be fired a few times!
Hard to fire a driver who really understands the phrase "WAD" ! Probably the only reason I wasn't fired multiple times!

Would you agree being a driver today is a Little different, Somewhat different or Very different than thru the say late 70's and 80's at the beginning of your tenure as a driver to when you just retired last week.
Like I said in an earlier post back in the 70's and 80's and some of the 90's you didn't get a WL for every little thing. It had to be a serious offense. Now you get one for farting in the car.

Last edited:

oldupsman

LMAO!

One rural route I had, at least once every two or three months I'd stop by the mechanic's bay to have a mirror replaced before I fueled.

Got to the point they were going to give me a couple spares to carry with me.

Same here. I feel for these young guys. Broken mirror? Who freakin cared. It was just seen as the cost of
doing business. If I broke a mirror I'd stop at the shop on the way in to the center and have it replaced by
the mechanic. If they were busy I'd go over to the shelf, pull one out and replace it myself.
The mechanics were glad for the help. One less thing for them to do that night.

Jim Kemp

I just turned 62 and look at us, we are both retired! YEE HA! Altho I retired 12.5 years ago, you got me thinking???? Was I ever written up? I guess I would have to say no! I was told I would be fired a few times!
Hard to fire a driver who really understands the phrase "WAD" ! Probably the only reason I wasn't fired multiple times!

Would you agree being a driver today is a Little different, Somewhat different or Very different than thru the say late 70's and 80's at the beginning of your tenure as a driver to when you just retired last week.
"A little different"? tremendously different The last time I drove a route there was no Telematics or ORION. The route I did when I started was about 65/70 stops per day, and I bitched at that. Now that route is about 6 routes(maybe more) with about 145 stops. In desperation a few months ago they sent me on a route with ORION. I couldn't figure out where the packages were until I realized it was on the screen not in logical order on the shelf.The same street would be in the 1000 sec and then jump to the 8000. Then you would stop delivering in an area and jump over to another area.Then come back later in the day. Why you would stop delivering one street then leave before you had finished it is beyond me.
I would have a hard time delivering now, I don't know if I could do it.

Jim Kemp

I can't do an odd number year it would bug me. I would have to go for 40 years. lol But congrats, I get to retire soon too...in 30+ years!
The 39 thing bothers me also but I have too many friends that are dying of cancer and heart problems. I kept putting it off. Then one day I realized that I would just keep putting it off and I would never make it. So I just picked a date and did it.

Dhydratd

I hope you spend many, many happy years in retirement!
We had a driver retire a few years ago who died 6 months later. I am haunted by this! Imagine spending 30+ years looking forward to retirement and then.....DAMN!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver retire a few years ago who died 6 months later. I am haunted by this! Imagine spending 30+ years looking forward to retirement and then.....DAMN!

We also had a 30+ year driver who died within 6 months of retiring. Rather than keeping busy he literally shut it down completely which, in turn, shut him down permanently.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had this happen to a friend.......he didn't live long enough to collect any S.S. He was waiting 'til he turned 65 and he never did.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Have been here 6 years, have been told I was being a warning letter twice, but have no actual warning letters. So I guess I have had 0 warning letters and 1 talk with

Jim Kemp

I hope to be the man that was on my route, He was an EXXON retiree, I would joke with him when I went to his house about beating the system. Last time I saw him he told me he had been retired longer than he worked. I know that's not good for the pension fund but more power to him.