I think I'm on to something here......

Thesearecrazytimes

I have been trying to figure out how seemingly intelligent people could allow a corporation to fail so badly on so many levels. I believe they are not stupid, but they are incompetent from the very top down to many of the ops managers. And they reinforce their incompetence, one to another. There is a name for this. It is called the Dunning-Kruger effect. For those unfamiliar, I will include a short definition below;

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are. Essentially, low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence. The combination of poor self-awareness and low cognitive ability leads them to overestimate their own capabilities."

bacha29

I have been trying to figure out how seemingly intelligent people could allow a corporation to fail so badly on so many levels. I believe they are not stupid, but they are incompetent from the very top down to many of the ops managers. And they reinforce their incompetence, one to another. There is a name for this. It is called the Dunning-Kruger effect. For those unfamiliar, I will include a short definition below;

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are. Essentially, low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence. The combination of poor self-awareness and low cognitive ability leads them to overestimate their own capabilities."
That's Dano alright. A mid level manager with a completely undeserved sense of self importance.

vantexan

Been my experience that a lot of people are constantly looking for indicators from others that prove they are superior to those others. Any sign of weakness that can be pounced on. It's not so much in your face all the time in person like it is online but it comes out. People want to feel superior. Constant need to move up the pyramid and lionizing those they perceive as highly successful and want to emulate. As far as FedEx management goes, I've met managers who are reasonably competent at their jobs but want you to know they are superior to you in every way because they are in management and you aren't. Start talking about a subject they aren't familiar with and they are often shocked. The mere idea that a courier knows something they don't doesn't compute. Other managers appreciate the hard work and good numbers and are always reinforcing positivity. Not as common as the first kind though. In the greater scheme of things I look back on my "career" and know I did a good job. But I also read about what people are accomplishing in high tech fields and have to marvel at their abilities and it truly humbles my importance in the scheme of things. A very tiny cog in a very big machine. But collectively the machine can't run without us and those in power need to be reminded that we aren't disposable and our lives do matter too when they make decisions that affect our livelihoods and future.

quad decade guy

Been my experience that a lot of people are constantly looking for indicators from others that prove they are superior to those others. Any sign of weakness that can be pounced on. It's not so much in your face all the time in person like it is online but it comes out. People want to feel superior. Constant need to move up the pyramid and lionizing those they perceive as highly successful and want to emulate. As far as FedEx management goes, I've met managers who are reasonably competent at their jobs but want you to know they are superior to you in every way because they are in management and you aren't. Start talking about a subject they aren't familiar with and they are often shocked. The mere idea that a courier knows something they don't doesn't compute. Other managers appreciate the hard work and good numbers and are always reinforcing positivity. Not as common as the first kind though. In the greater scheme of things I look back on my "career" and know I did a good job. But I also read about what people are accomplishing in high tech fields and have to marvel at their abilities and it truly humbles my importance in the scheme of things. A very tiny cog in a very big machine. But collectively the machine can't run without us and those in power need to be reminded that we aren't disposable and our lives do matter too when they make decisions that affect our livelihoods and future.
I have mgt. shocked that I ride a motorcycle....fly, anything.

Like on BC....they don't know me. After 41 years. Very few have ever asked about my family or any outside interests I have. They barely talk with me about our daily jobs. Usually, only for discipline.....

I never got promoted or was ever asked if I was interested. No mgt person has any idea of my level of education or experience.

How would they?

The Us vs. Them mentality at UPS has always been this way and always will. It is a shame. So many possibilities...

It is shocking the type of people who are promoted......some purely for diversity. A sorry and stupid reason to promote to leadership.

I believe there is a certain type of person in mgt at UPS. I will not be unkind here. Top to bottom.

slowdriver

So true.. and then you have manager minions tell managers what they want to hear reinforcing this behavior its sad really, i've seen good employees reputations destroyed or even fired because of management incompetence, I use to chalk it up to just certain types of people but ive seen it happen too many times. im sure this dynamic applies all the way up the chain.

quad decade guy

So true.. and then you have manager minions tell managers what they want to hear reinforcing this behavior its sad really, i've seen good employees reputations destroyed or even fired because of management incompetence, I use to chalk it up to just certain types of people but ive seen it happen too many times. im sure this dynamic applies all the way up the chain.
You rarely find a UPS mgt person that isn't willing to sell his soul for good numbers and a promotion. This includes destroying anyone in this path.

For the most part, they are all the same......angry and scared(fear of being fired). Hateful and punitive.

There was one woman in a Division Mgr position.....I have never met such a hateful person....that is saying ALOT. Soul-less.

NC man

Those at the top don’t want to rock the boat meaning if Raj says let’s do this no one is gonna pipe up and say that’s not a good idea because of xxx. Cushy job,nice pay ,bonus etc so why risk being demoted down the road.
DRA was a complete disaster ,it did improve but still not good at the end when we went back to a defined area. I would point out things to mgr but they did not want to hear it so of course no one up the ladder would say anything about how bad it was to their superior.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Like when a truck driver on a message board decides that any and all operational issues could easily be fixed and that he can make smart financial decisions for a multibillion dollar global company? Like that?

Asking for a friend.

Thesearecrazytimes

Like when a truck driver on a message board decides that any and all operational issues could easily be fixed and that he can make smart financial decisions for a multibillion dollar global company? Like that?

Asking for a friend.
Never said operational issues could be easily fixed. Never said I can make smart financial decisions for a multi billion dollar company. Based on your own inaccurate and erroneous assumptions about me, you seem to be guilty of having the very cognitive bias my original post was speaking of. Welcome to the club sir. I will not be responding to any more of your posts. It would not be helpful.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Never said operational issues could be easily fixed. Never said I can make smart financial decisions for a multi billion dollar company. Based on your own inaccurate words, you are letting your cognitive bias shine through. Welcome to the club sir.
download.jpg
@59 Dano is the proof of the assertion.

59 Dano

Never said operational issues could be easily fixed. Never said I can make smart financial decisions for a multi billion dollar company. Based on your own inaccurate and erroneous assumptions about me, you seem to be guilty of having the very cognitive bias my original post was speaking of. Welcome to the club sir. I will not be responding to any more of your posts. It would not be helpful.

LOL, I didn't accuse you of anything. I said a truck driver on a message board. Why did you make an inaccurate and erroneous assumption that I was talking about you?

If that's the best you can do, thanks for not responding. You're already confused anyway.

59 Dano

Yet you so seldom acknowledge your many errors. :yes:
My errors aren't on this board. The fact that people with no experience in something want to be critical of the ideas/thoughts/opinions of others who do have experience doesn't mean that the former is in error.

Probably guilty of a typo every now and then, something like that. Really hurts, too.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Those at the top don’t want to rock the boat meaning if Raj says let’s do this no one is gonna pipe up and say that’s not a good idea because of xxx. Cushy job,nice pay ,bonus etc so why risk being demoted down the road.
DRA was a complete disaster ,it did improve but still not good at the end when we went back to a defined area. I would point out things to mgr but they did not want to hear it so of course no one up the ladder would say anything about how bad it was to their superior.

Good point. Corporations are not ran like a democracy. They are actually ran like some communist dictatorship. You have your CEO or Dear Leader and nothing but yes men/women surrounding the Dear Leader. In a communist country, you tell the Dear Leader that isn't a good idea and you might face a firing squad. In corporate Amerika, you tell the Dear Leader that's not a good idea and you'll be excommunicated (fired). The yes minions would rather go down with the ship along with the Dear Leader rather than rock the boat.