I was the man who nearly died in this UPS truck last December

Logb17

I'm a driver at the center this happen in. I know the guy that was driving the truck personally. Interested to hear what people think happen.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Re: Asking for anyone's help

Greetings, Brown Cafe:

I am the driver helper who nearly died in the accident involving a UPS truck on December 14, 2011, in Federal Way, Washington. When a very loud buzzer on the dash went off midday (apparently it was a signal that the brakes were having problems), the supervisor brought the driver and me EARPLUGS rather than tell us to bring the truck in for repairs. After I delivered a package on a steep hill, the driver tried to start the truck with the keyless ignition, but it did not start. By then the truck was rolling forward and the driver tried to get the truck started with a "compression" start, which also did not work. He then tried to use the mechanical brakes and the safety (parking) brake, neither of which worked. The driver tried furiously to stand on the brakes to get the truck to stop, but he could not get the truck to slow down on the steep hill. At the bottom of the hill the driver had to turn left or right. He tried to turn left but did not make it, and the truck went over an embankment. The truck crashed into a tree, crushing me and pinning me against the tree for nearly an hour.

I lost my left eye. I lost the 20/20 vision in my right eye. Every bone in my face was fractured. I had assorted cuts and lacerations and suffered internal bleeding. Five vertebrae were fractured. All tallied, I suffered 24 injuries. I've had seven surgeries and well over 150 visits to the hospital for follow-up appointments and physical therapy.

I am curious to know if any of you have had any other similar incidents involving the failure of the keyless ignition, the failure of the power brakes, the failure of the mechanical brakes, or failure of the safety brake.
Zorro,

What type of seat belt were you wearing at the time of the accident?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Re: Asking for anyone's help

Helpers sit in the jump seat which is usually equipped with only a lap belt, not the 3 point safety belt the driver has.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Thanks but in my area most of the jumps seats have 3 point belts along with a back cushion.

It is the older package cars with the low back seats that also have the old junker jump seat.

I already know what type of seat he was in, I have viewed the accident photos.

I really am trying to check Zorro out for some credibility.

Upstate, I hope this finds you and your family well.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you already knew the answer, why would you ask the question, other than to try to catch the OP in a lie.

I am on vacation next week and am looking forward to spending time with my children.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If you already knew the answer, why would you ask the question, other than to try to catch the OP in a lie.

I am on vacation next week and am looking forward to spending time with my children.
UpstateNYUPSer,

I just might catch him in the truth.

I have reached out to him privately and he doesn't respond. I am slightly skeptical of Zorro.

Enjoy your time with the family.

Sincerely,
I

jaker

trolling
You know what stuck me weird about what he said , was that a sup brought them some ear plugs

what sup in his right mine would bring something that would keep us from hearing the outside world and what driver would put them in

now I know sups do dumb stuff sometimes but that seams really far stretch

You know what stuck me weird about what he said , was that a sup brought them some ear plugs

what sup in his right mine would bring something that would keep us from hearing the outside world and what driver would put them in

Sounds like a troll to me. Who in their right mind,would post this on BC asking for help??

Gezz, I don't know. Maybe a man so injured in a UPS truck, too friend'd up to get another job, and unable to provide for his family. Maybe a desperate man.

If that truly was the guy that got injured.................................Dont you think he would have the best lawyers on the planet, knocking on his door?.This is a lawyer's dream case..............Bad personal injuries and pure gross negligence!

UPSGUY72

This accident happen in Dec 2011. If there is a lawsuit it isn't settle yet as I'm sure it would be listed on the OP's attorneys Website under settlements and it isn't.

If this was a slam dunk case for the OP it would have been settled it appears it isn't so cut and dry.

barnyard

KTM rider

and that should be all they need to get lots and lots of money from UPS. If a supe brought out earplugs, it shows that the supe knew the vehicle had a DOT violation and was willing to ignore it and keep that car on the road.

This should be a slam dunk for any lawyer. I don't get why the OP needs more.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
One possibility might be that the supervisors' actions would only prove it happened this one time, but additional incidents could prove a problematic and systemic culture across the whole company. Maybe even a whistleblower settlement, assuming that case could even be made.

over9five

Staff member
and that should be all they need to get lots and lots of money from UPS. If a supe brought out earplugs, it shows that the supe knew the vehicle had a DOT violation and was willing to ignore it and keep that car on the road.

This should be a slam dunk for any lawyer. I don't get why the OP needs more.

The sup was stupid, but the driver has 100% responsibility in this. The driver is the "captain of the ship". He had no right to be driving that vehicle with a brake alarm sounding. WTF was he thinking????
Does anyone think he would have been sent on his merry way if he had been stopped at a checkpoint? I can GUARANTEE you the vehicle would have been taken off road till the hook came to take it away.

ALSO, imho, the helper was pretty stupid for continuing to stay on the car. Did he value his life so little, that he saw no problem with this? You can't tell me the driver never told him it was a brake system alarm.

Three stupid people, but one had all the responsibility. One had every right, and the authority, to pull that PC over and wait for a new car.