I was the man who nearly died in this UPS truck last December

Zorro

Re: I was the pastor who almost died

Zorro--I apologize for the tone of my post but your post did not appear to be one that would be posted by anyone who has ever stepped foot on a pkg car. "Assistant"? We call them helpers. I do pray for your continued recovery. Dave.

Apology accepted and thank you for your prayer. I didn't learn all the proper UPS terms. I was a driver helper. Is that the right term? I had a lot to learn in the two or so weeks I worked for UPS.

Zorro

Re: I was the pastor who almost died

Zorro- You can say anything you want now your first three post set the tone that you are not who you say you are. Only people looking for information for a lawsuit would make post like that. Since you have a lawyer they would be doing all the case related research and fact findings especially in a case like this they see $$$$. They would be putting a lot of resources to it.

I kindly disagree. I should know who I am.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Enjoy driving the old 800s. No power steering, sometimes the speedometers were not working, deafening road noise/rattling over 50mph .

once keyless entry was installed, many of the extras just quit and died. not sure if that was a coincidence.

I always wanted to write up in the dvir "don't you have a wrecker to take this thing away?"

sorry to hear what happened.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hello, BrownCafe people:

Last December 14, I was a driver assistant in a UPS truck that lost power and crashed into a tree. I nearly died. Here is part of my story, which, I think, some of you have viewed:

KIRO 7 Seattle News Investigations | www.kirotv.com

Do any of you know of an incident like this one? I would hate for this to happen again.

I would appreciate any comments that any of you have .
Zorro,

May the Lord bless and keep you and your family!

I encourage you to ask any direct questions that you may have.

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

I drive one all the time. Have driven three different ones for the past 3 weeks all have over 350,000 miles on them and I haven't had a problem with the hand break working. The E-brake / hand brake is attached to the drive shaft not the brake drums like on normal cars and trucks. If it isn't holding you tighten it up until it does if the can't tighten it anymore that the mechanic needs to adjust the cable as it's stretched out.

If you driving and 800 and the E-brake / hand brake isn't holding I hope your are writing it up everyday and I would hope you would refuse to Drive the car until it's fixed.
I agree. I'm in a 8 right now and have steep incline on one of my dock pickups. The ebrake holds the truck just fine. It makes funny rubbing sounds but doesn't move an inch.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think the accident is a result of poor training. But it's hardly a mechanical problem. All UPS trucks with clutches start without the clutch engaged...keyed or fobbed. The truck needs to be in the lowest forward gear. In the ol' 800's it's the low gear. Those trucks won't move no matter what you do to them shut off in the lowest forward gear. I can see if you accidentally bumped the start switch twice and that started motion...but that's a training flaw and not a mechanical flaw. You hit the button on the fob to start the blinking, foot on the brake, buckle, start, clutch, e brake, go. It's the same if it didn't have the keyless. And the screeching noise is typically low brake fluid in the old vehicles. Shame on your manager for not having the fluids checked when he came out.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Honestly though Zorro, I am glad that you have survived a hellish scenario! Even though life is not even remotely the same for you anymore and even that much tougher, you could have an amazing testimony and story for someone out there. Keep the faith my friend and I will continue to pray for you!

S

serenity now

to the op: why did you choose the screen name zorro
i have never heard anyone one refer to themselves as a former pastor

Zorro

I had an amazing answer to prayer the other day in which God turned around a situation involving a loved one that was utterly hopeless. That fuels the fire to pray in other ways as well. For this holiday season, I pray for all the UPSers out on the road that safety and sanity will prevail. On another note, I chose "Zorro" partly because I like black and like those fighting for justice. I say that I am a "former pastor" because I am no longer actively serving in a church. However, God's call on my life continues, and I do whatever I can to love people and spread the amazing Gospel of the grace of God.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would still like to hear some more specific details about what occured in the moments leading up to the accident. Was it a rollaway from a parked position, or did the engine suddenly quit running while the car was in motion?

Zorro

Asking for anyone's help

Greetings, Brown Cafe:

I am the driver helper who nearly died in the accident involving a UPS truck on December 14, 2011, in Federal Way, Washington. When a very loud buzzer on the dash went off midday (apparently it was a signal that the brakes were having problems), the supervisor brought the driver and me EARPLUGS rather than tell us to bring the truck in for repairs. After I delivered a package on a steep hill, the driver tried to start the truck with the keyless ignition, but it did not start. By then the truck was rolling forward and the driver tried to get the truck started with a "compression" start, which also did not work. He then tried to use the mechanical brakes and the safety (parking) brake, neither of which worked. The driver tried furiously to stand on the brakes to get the truck to stop, but he could not get the truck to slow down on the steep hill. At the bottom of the hill the driver had to turn left or right. He tried to turn left but did not make it, and the truck went over an embankment. The truck crashed into a tree, crushing me and pinning me against the tree for nearly an hour.

I lost my left eye. I lost the 20/20 vision in my right eye. Every bone in my face was fractured. I had assorted cuts and lacerations and suffered internal bleeding. Five vertebrae were fractured. All tallied, I suffered 24 injuries. I've had seven surgeries and well over 150 visits to the hospital for follow-up appointments and physical therapy.

I am curious to know if any of you have had any other similar incidents involving the failure of the keyless ignition, the failure of the power brakes, the failure of the mechanical brakes, or failure of the safety brake.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Re: Asking for anyone's help

I am curious to know if any of you have had any other similar incidents involving the failure of the keyless ignition, the failure of the power brakes, the failure of the mechanical brakes, or failure of the safety brake.

You have paypal.... right ?

​-Bug-