If it passes. I have a question.

fattybrown

Let’s say this contract passes, the company hires a bunch of 22.4’s. Then they all quit because of the crappy work conditions for lesser pay and lack of protection.

Meanwhile everyone else sees how ragged they work them and no one else signs up.

I understand rcpd’s would have to fill the void, but at least everyone one would have equal rights. I know it would never happen.

So my question is...Would they hire more cover drivers to fill the void?

DOK

Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

The millennials don’t seem to like RPCD working conditions so I can’t see them being happy about being 22.4. Then again there are people out there who will do the 22.4 from all age groups, they’re out there. Just look at FedEx ground, they get worse pay and benefits and they seem to be making it work.

542thruNthru

Let’s say this contract passes, the company hires a bunch of 22.4’s. Then they all quit because of the crappy work conditions for lesser pay and lack of protection.

Meanwhile everyone else sees how ragged they work them and no one else signs up.

I understand rcpd’s would have to fill the void, but at least everyone one would have equal rights. I know it would never happen.

There will always be someone willing to do the job. They might not be the best for the job but they will be will.

Look at FedEx Ground. They probably get paid less then 22.4s will and also no protection.

BrownArmy

It depends on where you’re at.

My Center has been hiring drivers off the street for years...no one from the PT ranks are interested.

When the PT’rs don’t want to go driving, and my Center keeps hiring off the street, those new drivers will be 22.4’s, if the contract passes.

It is what it is.

llamainmypocket

Why does everyone assume it's going to suck being a 22.4? Being a regular driver sucks. Crappy load quality, being sent back out after dark, fighting through irregs all day... bulked out from floor to ceiling.

They can't do that to 22.4 drivers. I'll tell you why. It's simple. They can't put more than 8 hours in your load because 8 hours plus 5 in preload is too close to 14 hours. They're going to have to load you up with 4-8 max.

I've been an air driver consistently covering ground work for more than a year due to a local driver shortage. The work will be the same. Bulk, cleanup, or an 8 hour planned route minus a couple shelves.

BrownArmy

Why does everyone assume it's going to suck being a 22.4? Being a regular driver sucks. Crappy load quality, being sent back out after dark, fighting through irregs all day... bulked out from floor to ceiling.

They can't do that to 22.4 drivers. I'll tell you why. It's simple. They can't put more than 8 hours in your load because 8 hours plus 5 in preload is too close to 14 hours. They're going to have to load you up with 4-8 max.

I've been an air driver consistently covering ground work for more than a year due to a local driver shortage. The work will be the same. Bulk, cleanup, or an 8 hour planned route minus a couple shelves.

Again, depends on where you are, but where I am, the supposed 22.4’s won’t be doing any inside work, they’ll be slaving away at the same job as an RPCD making $6 less an hour.

I suppose it’s possible that the 22.4 position will work out differently where you are, but if the Company can take advantage of the Contract, they will.

brown_trousers

Again, depends on where you are, but where I am, the supposed 22.4’s won’t be doing any inside work, they’ll be slaving away at the same job as an RPCD making $6 less an hour.

I suppose it’s possible that the 22.4 position will work out differently where you are, but if the Company can take advantage of the Contract, they will.
Exactly. Or they will have the 22.4 work a half-hour in preload, then 10 hours driving, so they can technically call it a "combo"

542thruNthru

As @BrownArmy said they will only be driving in my area as well. They want the "combo" language so they can use them inside if needed or if volume drops for some reason.

Grey

If they’re working preload THEN go driving it’s probably running overflow/irregs, pre-hitting pick ups and helping drivers. Or they put in a resi-split to keep 3-4 guys under 9.5

CoolStoryBro

You stumbled upon UPS' grand plan. When no one wants the job they will hire off the street. They will hire all the fedex ground drivers, DHL and capable amazon drivers. Leaving even worse crumbs left over for the competition.

Brilliant strategy.

542thruNthru

What makes you guys sure they're going to not be working inside? Fear of the unknown doesn't constitute a reason to believe anything. It's just paranoia.

BA told me. We have PT cover drivers here and the 22.4s will be replacing them. I believe it will also be in our supplemental language as well.

542thruNthru

A BA's feeling isnt a fact. That's a misuse of the word.

You're right here's my facts.
20180816_211054.jpg

siouxman

siouxman
Read the contract and supplements then ask questions. The more you know the better.I look to my local leaders i elected for information.There is a lot of miss information out there, then you can make the best informed decision.

siouxman

siouxman

Should be a great opportunity for the people that want to make more money.

fattybrown

It depends on where you’re at.

My Center has been hiring drivers off the street for years...no one from the PT ranks are interested.

When the PT’rs don’t want to go driving, and my Center keeps hiring off the street, those new drivers will be 22.4’s, if the contract passes.

It is what it is.

Doesn’t the new contract eliminate off the street hires? I thought I read that.