If you are tired of getting posts edited, read this

ImpactedTSG

Ok, since mods obviously have the power to edit our posts, and seem to be on a power trip, I've figured out a way to get back at the man. When you happen to type the wrong words or say the wrong things according to their personal opinions since no where in the TOS does it spell out what you can and cannot say here is what you do:

In the moderators post , below their name, you will see a little icon that looks like a justice scale. If you click on it you can add positive or negative reputation. Any post that gets edited unfairly gets a negative rep vote. When their reputation scores are in the negative digits, maybe the little power trip will stop.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Impacted, if you just figured that out, youve been spending too much time reporting posts.
Its not a power trip.
It is something we do, to help keep a community, lets say gated.
If some things are not kicked out we will have a BC myspace.
You obviously enjoy being here, why not spend your time improving, sharing knowledge and humor, and get over this pettiness.
And yes you can neg rep me, and I wont even edit it.

HazMatMan

Ok, since mods obviously have the power to edit our posts, and seem to be on a power trip, I've figured out a way to get back at the man. When you happen to type the wrong words or say the wrong things according to their personal opinions since no where in the TOS does it spell out what you can and cannot say here is what you do:

In the moderators post , below their name, you will see a little icon that looks like a justice scale. If you click on it you can add positive or negative reputation. Any post that gets edited unfairly gets a negative rep vote. When their reputation scores are in the negative digits, maybe the little power trip will stop.

I think you take the Brown Cafe too seriously, lighten up dude...lol:peaceful:

wily_old_vet

This was said by the man who giiged me for saying lmao in a thread. The man is a trip, a bad one.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Impacted, It was just a couple of weeks ago that you spent several hours here amusing yourself by figuring out how to post the friend-word in many ways that defeated the automated censor. Yesterday I was quite impressed that you actually had so much free time that you spent several hours on our forum searching out posts and then reporting to the moderators all of the offensive language that needed to be edited out.

You must think that it's quite clever of you to now start a public campaign with the stated goal of giving our mods negative reputations for editing the posts you reported yesterday as needing to be edited.

My friend, you are obviously spending hours and hours working on this elaborate scheme designed to humiliate myself and our community's volunteer moderators. The only reason I'm not deleting this thread and banning you is because your childish behavior is so amusing. I'm curious, how many hours you will spend doing this today?

BigBrownSanta

The rep point system, IMHO, is part of the flame problem on this site. Most people seem to rep people if they (the poster) slams someone they (the repper) don't agree with.

Another thing, it stifles people from posting because if someone disagrees with you and they have 40,000 rep points they can neg rep you back to zero at one time.

This site SEEMED more civil when everyone had roughly the same rep points, but over the last few months some people's rep points have jumped way, way up there.

Just my humble (and low rep) opinion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have never given neg reps. If I dont agree with someone I post my opinion below. I only rep good thoughts, and hilarious posts. I believe that is the way most of us do it. And 40000 cannot be wiped out easily. Such as 8575, if a poster neg reps you who has 300, only 3 will be taken away. If you rep someone only 86 can be taken away or added. At least thats my understanding.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
BigBrownSanta,
I agree 100% with what you just posted. I think the Rep Point System should be just for fun, but some people abuse it. I wouldn't mind if it went away.

Some members have been upset because some "creative" use of the friend-word gets deleted. I don't know of anyone who has been banned over this. All that Cheryl has asked of people is to watch their language and not insult other members, what is so difficult to understand about that? A few people have posted a comment that I like. It goes something like "This is Cheryl's house and we should respect her rules". Its a very simple concept. When you join this site as a member, you agree to her rules. Some people seem to interpret the "Terms of Service" the way they want and don't understand "Bad Content". If you don't like the rules, its fine to state your opinions, we welcome differing points of view since it adds to discussion. But if you hate it here so much, then why do you waste your time on here?
Giving out bad advice on how to get "even" with volunteer mods doesn't seem very wise to me. We can "Bad Rep" too.......................

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I really like the rep system. When I read a really good post, I like to give feedback, and I like to know what people think of what I say, good or bad.

moreluck

golden ticket member
TSG....this isn't a paint ball war.......what are you, 5 yrs, old ?
Very childish remark on your part. And no, I didn't neg. rep. you....I just told you my opinion of your post......like Tooner.:happy2:

reydluap

"The only reason I'm not deleting this thread and banning you is because your childish behavior is so amusing. I'm curious, how many hours you will spend doing this today?"

Cheryl, You just crack me up!

Paul

dillweed

Could we all just let some of these threads die? Wastes too much time being negative. Instead of using spare times to nit-pick, payback and cry let's go over to the "life after brown" or other forums. There we could read, contribute and maybe get to know each other in a different way.

sano

I haven't spent much time on the forum, however from what I have seen the moderators do a great job here. No micromanaging, but they keep things from getting out of hand.
I would like to personally thank Cheryl and all the rest of the moderators for all your work.
Sincerely,

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I must admit that having a language filter is wrong and I, too, am not really happy about that. Censorship infringes on many of our constitutional rights and hey, sometimes a well-placed friend-word is necessary. I think 99% of the users of these forums are adults and, even if there were a handful of underage users, I don't think they need to be protected against the friend-bomb. I mean, go to any playground at any elementary school and you'll hear worse things I'm sure.

But, by the same token, I find it amusing that one member is turning this into a crusade. I'm all for standing up for what you believe in but starting fights over the internet is kind of dumb.

over9five

Staff member
I think it is foolish for modern society to label certain words as swears at all. Think about it, they are only words! How 'bout we treat the friend-bomb exactly as we treat the word "darn"? I mean, it IS the 21st century. We are not the Pilgrims!

But my argument is for "society". This is a privately owned website, and we must (try to!) abide by the administrators rules.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm in favor of using your brain to figure out other words to use instead of the "friend" word. As stated before, we're adults, use your vocabulary skills......unless you like sounding like a baggy-panted, butt cheek showin', slime ball.....then you need to go elsewhere.

BigBrownSanta

If any of you knew me in real life, you'd think the only words I know are cuss words. I am a chronic cusser, especially when I can't find the last package for a delivery. LOL. But, out of respect for this site and Cheryl, I withhold those words when I post.

With that said, this site brings together a very diverse group of people that, in their real day to day life, have a very frictional relationship with other groups on this site. Management vs. hourly, pt vs. ft., runner vs. milker, you get the picture. It's a natural tendency to want to argue and/or vent against the "other side". You won't change anyone's opinion by bashing a poster, if anything, they'll become more stubborn. Logic and reason will win more often than losing your temper.

I used to visit another site (Howard Forums) to learn tricks and tips for my cell phone. There didn't seem to be very many arguments there, probably because most people were there for the same reasons, to learn to use their phones. This site (BC) is a different type of site.

But, it really seems ridiculous to me to make it a campaign to find creative ways to sneak a cuss word in when all you really have to do is start your own no-holds-barred version of Brown Cafe.

IMO, if you abide by the rules, your feelings won't get hurt. If you can't do that, no one will miss you if you don't come back.

I think it is foolish for modern society to label certain words as swears at all. Think about it, they are only words! How 'bout we treat the friend-bomb exactly as we treat the word "darn"? I mean, it IS the 21st century. We are not the Pilgrims!

But my argument is for "society". This is a privately owned website, and we must (try to!) abide by the administrators rules.
Since you feel this way, I am going to send you a private message on this very subject. I think you will enjoy it.