Illegal Anti-Union Meetings

FedEX 4 Life

Legally, FedEx is supposed to be "unbiased" and cannot use company meetings to bash the unions. That's why they are being called "information sessions" and not "anti-union meetings". They cannot say anything they want. Per FedEx procedures, managers are not even supposed to discuss unions unless an employee brings it up. Never mind that nearly everything Fred and FedEx have said are either outright lies or mischaracterizations of what's really going on with the RLA.

Since most FedEx facilities are "secure", the Teamsters can't do anything on company property. Legally, employees are supposed to be able to solicit, distribute literature etc. in breakrooms and other non-work areas, but FedEx has always targeted employees who dared do this. In fact, most breakrooms now have cameras....I wonder why? If Courier X is caught on tape, his or her name will be spread all over the district so the harassment and intimidation can begin. The goal? To get rid of this person ASAP by any means possible. Sound legal? It's not, but that's the way FedEx plays the game. Don't be so naive....that's the way an unethical and dishonest company does business.
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.Do you even work for fedex?You sound like a wussy disgruntled employee at McDonalds.And how is having a meeting against the law?Someone call the cops!Fedex is haveing a meeting!!!You make no sense.I bet you are so negative at home as well.You studio apartment is a disaster.Dude you need to lighten up.You sound like you have the worst job in the world.You need to get out more and maybe you can eventually meet a female.Take those orange cheeto stained fingers away from the keyboard and go out for a change.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Back on topic.Yes we have had meetings talking about whats going on.But how is this against the law?FedEx is a private company that it is not union.Cant they have meetings about whatever they want?Also,its not like the entire meeting was about the whole RLA thing,id say about half.I think it is good that Fedex is telling us whats going on.Everytime I talk to a UPS guy,he has no clue what im talking about regarding the RLA thing.

Gee,do you think they're telling you the whole story, or just what they want you to hear? You also mentioned a pension, which you no longer have (hello?). Fred eliminated it as of June 1, 2008. If you actually worked for FedEx, I'm guessing you'd know that.

If you actually do work for FedEx, see if the CIGNA plan covers the clueless. God, I cannot believe all of the Kool-Aid drinkers out there. If Fred told you the Easter Bunny runs UPS, you'd probably think it's true too. PT Barnum had it right...no wonder Billy Mays is a millionaire.

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
FedEx Express senior managers are holding 30-35 minute mandatory paid "information sessions" about the RLA. Predictably, these are nothing but anti-union meetings designed to show employees how evil the Teamsters are and how "good" they've got it under the current system.
These "sessions" are nothing new, at least around here. I know for over a year all new hires sit through it at orientation. Unless you are 12 years old, or totally gullible, it's pretty much blah, blah, blah, place a check mark here if you were awake for the first 32 seconds and know what day of the week it is. I feel sorry for the new hires and managers who have to lay it on em'...

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
I'm from Florida and all I can say is "it's great seeing the FedEx driver calm and cool while the UPS driver is all sweaty and tired delivering packages in my area (very professional for a business to see a delivery employee like that) Fred sure knows how to keep it cool!

FYI....you heard it here first. FY11 A/C option deleted on FXE orders, also no pm or service repairs on vehicles beyond 3yrs.

SmithBarney

FYI....you heard it here first. FY11 A/C option deleted on FXE orders, also no pm or service repairs on vehicles beyond 3yrs.

Except its more expensive to order these trucks without A/C since A/C is standard..
but what you will be seeing is, once a A/C unit fails it will not be replaced, and a shorter belt will be used.

FedEX 4 Life

We have A/C in our trucks but its because of Fedex.Our newer trucks,Fedex was not allowed to disable the A/C because of some new DOT law.I work up north,not the south.

Overpaid Union Thug

As one of your constituents, I am writing to voice my opposition to the "Brown Bailout." The "Brown Bailout" refers to language inserted by UPS lobbyists into the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2009 that will bring havoc to our nation's overnight-delivery system. The "Brown Bailout" essentially exists as a special favor for a huge company at the expense of Americans like me, and is being pushed through Congress without hearings or public debate over its potential impact on our economy.

We rely on an overnight delivery system that is dependable and affordable. Prices have never been lower, service has never been better, and access to global markets has never been greater. It seems reckless to destroy something that works so well for all of us.

If service isn't an issue than you won't have nothing to worry about if the RLA exemption is removed. What's the problem?

FedEx courier

MrFedEx is right,these meetings are in violation RLA and NLRA standards.I was wondering why the portion of frontline this month put addressing the RLA change issue to be explained by the senior manager. That is obviously so there is no record of a blatant anti-union violation.My guess would be that "Fed Ex 4 life" is most likely a member of FedEx management that posts during the day while he or she is at work.
The big issue here is that if FedEx is doing everything right they don't have to worry about a Union no matter what is changed.Misinformation and intimidation are their tactics yes,but if their classification is changed a majority at local sites still have to vote it in. FedEx is claiming this is a bailout because it will disrupt service.I guess if they change this classification they will just have to pay their employees competitive wages and have a fair set of rules for their employees then they won't have to worry about service disruptions like any other company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The meetings are illegal and so is all of the intimidation that has gone on over the years. UPS'ers don't understand this in the least because they've had a union environment for decades.

FedEx uses WalMart anti-union tactics, from the anti-union meetings to directly targeting pro-union employees for termination. Who cares if it's legal...FedEx does it anyway because they can. If you get canned on some trumped-up charge, are you going to have the resources to fight the FedEx legal team? No.

And that's the way they want it....to have people be afraid to even discuss the union. To this day employees are fearful to bring the subject up out of fear of losing their job. They've seen others get fired or harassed and they don't want the same thing to happen to them.

SmithBarney

MrFedEx is right,these meetings are in violation RLA and NLRA standards.I was wondering why the portion of frontline this month put addressing the RLA change issue to be explained by the senior manager. That is obviously so there is no record of a blatant anti-union violation.

I thought the same thing, our senior came in with his "secure" laptop
frontline was not on a tape either. No records no paper trail.

My senior also did it on a laptop....I'll bet they all did.

We just had this meeting last night. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that Frontline and our senior manager's presentation were carefully worded enough to not be considered anti-union. Probably moot anyways, since from what I understand the punishment for illegal anti-union activities is a joke. At least until the EFCA passes.

Our senior did the same thing with the lap top and read off a piece of paper. He did a very poor job stating the companies case,just saying that this would change the way the company does business. When couriers spoke up to question the companies stance he never really gave a answered just basically blew them off. Managers continue to say on a daily basis that this change would be very bad for the company. Even a few managers are wondering about their futures if and when FedEx moves our freight over to ground. Things will change with this company and I'm afraid to say it won't be to our benefit...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our senior did the same thing with the lap top and read off a piece of paper. He did a very poor job stating the companies case,just saying that this would change the way the company does business. When couriers spoke up to question the companies stance he never really gave a answered just basically blew them off. Managers continue to say on a daily basis that this change would be very bad for the company. Even a few managers are wondering about their futures if and when FedEx moves our freight over to ground. Things will change with this company and I'm afraid to say it won't be to our benefit...

From what I've read, all of the meetings were carefully scripted and said essentially the same thing. They don't want to answer questions because they cannot give answers that do anything but follow Fred's agenda. One of the reasons I could never go into management is the fact that you have to continually tell lies and distort the truth....even if you think otherwise. To not do as Mamphis says is to end your career on the spot.

bbsam

Staff member
It will, of course, be to our benefit.:happy2:
back off upstate! that volume's coming to ground contractors. without the rla exemption, there is no need to separate the two. and with the hard to unionize contractors express will be let out to dry. yes, i smell the blood in the water and i do not care if it belongs to my brother. let the feeding frenzy begin!!:happy-very: just kidding, mrfedex--kinda.:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
that volume's coming to ground contractors. without the rla exemption, there is no need to separate the two. and with the hard to unionize contractors express will be let out to dry. yes, i smell the blood in the water and i do not care if it belongs to my brother. let the feeding frenzy begin!!:happy-very: just kidding, mrfedex--kinda.:wink2:

Who knows what Smith is really thinking and plotting. Maybe he'll cut all the contractors loose when all of you become employees and hire replacement drivers from India who will be paid $4.00 per hour. You and the DHL guys can start a used-truck lot and go on unemployment.

bbsam

Staff member
Who knows what Smith is really thinking and plotting. Maybe he'll cut all the contractors loose when all of you become employees and hire replacement drivers from India who will be paid $4.00 per hour. You and the DHL guys can start a used-truck lot and go on unemployment.
I know what Smith is thinking. Its all about the fluidity of the business model. The loss of the RLA exemption is problematic, and there is relatively little that Fedex can effectively do about it. I actually agree with a UPS spokesman who call Brownbailout.com turning up the noise. Even though i think Fedex has a cogent and intelligent challenge to the removal of that exemption, I don't know that it will matter.
That brings us to the IC legal battles. Without the exemption, I don't see that it is worth it for Fred to continue to operate separately. The simple savings made through incorporating the two and shedding 1/3 to 1/2 of expresses employees would easily fascillitate the continuation of legal battles. And if you doubt that the transition would be that easy, look at what Fedex has been spending their money on. I would be willing to bet that a simple reflash of the starIII scanners would allow us to scan express packages. I don't know about Express hubs but Ground hubs have been growing exponentially in size and sophistication. While most of Fedex posted huge losses Ground showed a slight profit. Knowing what we know of Mr. Smith it seems to defy logic to suggest that Ground contractors would be jettisoned when there remains legal precedent as well as IRS acknowledgement of the IC model.