I'm not hearing much about global warming now days.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Someone move this crap to current events already. What I’ll never comprehend is how if you don’t believe in global warming, your also pro-gun, pro-life, anti welfare, and borderline racist. But if you do, your the opposite. Oh, I forgot Dem and Republican stuff. We don’t need global warming to remind us we’re screwed, we’re just screwed...

Sportello

Banned
Not actually.
The occurrence of hurricanes has decreased but the intensity of the strongest 'canes has increased due to increased water temperature.
This is due to wind shear at higher altitudes which is prevalent during an El Nina weather pattern.
Actually, you are wrong.

You are confusing short term weather with long term trends.

The trend is more frequent, stronger, tropical storms.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Might be too sciency for those who refuse to look beyond just outside their front window but...

Weather Questions & Answers

You guys remember the hurricanes, right?

Not sure why I got lumped in with this group. I have my critiques of the current state of climate "science", (including, but not limited to, the fact that they got caught fudging the numbers to help support antropogenic global warming theory) but my views are backed up by non-politicized science.

Even with my skepticism, I still see the value in, and fully support, moving toward renewable energy sources. I just don't like the way the prior administration went about subsidizing it (solyndra anyone?). The way I see it our biggest challenge to going fully renewable is energy storage, which is where I would like to see more resources invested.

The issue is complex, the science involved isn't nearly as straight forward as some might wish to believe. There is still no consensus on what creates earth's magnetic field, geophysical science still has a lot of questions to answer, and climate science has proven to be less than accurate. I'm reluctant to endorse solutions to problems that aren't fully understood, because of the potential for greater harm from unforeseen consequences.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Which, again, like your last link, does not address the historical fact that hurricanes are not more likely with Global Warming than they were.
Global Warming is also changing the jet stream patterns which have hampered the forming of hurricanes off the African coast.
Typhoons in the Pacific may be more likely ... I have not investigated.

This is a real scientific site (Scientific American) as opposed to some pseudo-scientific site funded by owners that have a preconceived belief.

vantexan

Actually, you are wrong.

You are confusing short term weather with long term trends.

The trend is more frequent, stronger, tropical storms.
We go many years with few hurricanes then have an active year and suddenly it's a trend. Could just be a cycle coming back around.

newfie

21vqjy.jpg