Improvements to our trucks

MAKAVELI

Telematics is little more than a nuisance if you have nothing to hide.

Telematics has proven useful when dealing with customers who call in bogus concerns, primarily for speeding.

Telematics has also supported valid concerns regarding speeding.
They don't need telematics for that. We already have GPS enabled in our Power Pads.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As the resident expert on all aspects of corporate operations regardless of the operating unit I am stunned to learn that you're not aware of Ground's long standing practice of demanding access to contractor's private payroll records auditing them then keeping them for their own benefit.

Not only am I not aware of it, I don't care either.

As for the accuracy of my payroll records, despite the fact that I worked for HRB as a side line job for more than 10 years with a standing offer to return I had a good friend and certified public accountant prepare file and remit all necessary payroll related information to the only three entities that have a legal right to them, the IRS along with the state and local revenue departments. Wanting that information is a clear testament to the corporate paranoia and suspicion G has long held regarding contractors and the most glaring example to date of it's overreach when it comes to the command and control over a workforce they claim to be "independent contractors". BTW. I am and continue to be in good standing with all revenue departments especially the only one that truly matters....The Internal Revenue Service. In fact in the coming days I will meet with the IRS and present to them a proposal regarding the tax liability as it pertains to the recent 20 state MDL settlement.

You don't say? I've got all of our tax records for the last 20+ years, including 1997. I filed an extension and never actually filed the return. Not that it mattered, because I didn't know what I was doing and screwed it all up. Luckily, I had overpaid so at least they got all that was owed to them via deductions... unless I underpaid, in which I guess I ripped them off!! SMOOTH CRIMINAL... MAYBE.

But I keep all of my returns in green folders because they were on sale and I bought all of them. Or most of them (I forget!). Each has 2 pockets and the 3 clips in the middle. Makes my paperwork look all professional, which is good because my tax guy is a professional and he has the hole-punch gizmo and it all comes together perfectly. I get a 30 cent discount each year on account of I provide the folder.

I pay him good money to do my taxes now but he saves me lots of money. Baka, do you take advantage of that one part of the IRS code? You know which one I'm talking about. I think it's chapter 13, section 2a, subsection IV(2) line 35.5. Or something like that. Anyway -and you will appreciate this- I was audited. The IRS guy was all up in my BIZ-NISS and you know what I did? I sez, "LISSIN, schmuck! You're aware of the 5th paragraph on the 9th page of the eleventeenth chapter, right? Yeah, well I AM TOO. If you think you're going to pull one over on me then you have another thing coming!!"

I was just getting warmed up.

"The Merchant Marine Act of 1920. Look it up, chump. You can't get me for any of that because of the provisions in that one part of the Louisiana Purchase that was emboldened by the Pure Food and Drug Act. And don't even DARE to question my mortgage interest deduction because the Treaty of Versailles divided by Bunker Hill and multiplied by the hypotenuse of 2 shares of FDX stock --- if it's more than 8, then I have full immunity except during leap years. Besides, I converted all of my money from dollars to the metric system. HOW YA LIKE ME NOW?"

He was sweating really bad and apologized for wasting my time. He knew he was dealing with the real thing and not some amateur.

Next month I'm going to see him again because of what I know about the gold that is in (HA! supposed to be in) Fort Knox and I'm entitled to a big settlement to keep my knowledge confidential. Just between the two of us, they've been selling it to finance the CIA's crack cocaine operation in LA, the proceeds of which are used to buy black market gold. You might be thinking (hee hee!) to yourself, "Why would they sell gold, use the money to buy crack, then sell the crack, then buy gold when they've already got the gold?" THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They don't need telematics for that. We already have GPS enabled in our Power Pads.

GPS only registers where the Powerpad is at 60 second increments, when time card codes are entered, and when certain scans are made. It can only be accessed after the courier has shoed his Powerpad and transmitted the info. Telematic-style technology monitors everything about the vehicle and can be accessed in real time.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not only am I not aware of it, I don't care either.

You don't say? I've got all of our tax records for the last 20+ years, including 1997. I filed an extension and never actually filed the return. Not that it mattered, because I didn't know what I was doing and screwed it all up. Luckily, I had overpaid so at least they got all that was owed to them via deductions... unless I underpaid, in which I guess I ripped them off!! SMOOTH CRIMINAL... MAYBE.

But I keep all of my returns in green folders because they were on sale and I bought all of them. Or most of them (I forget!). Each has 2 pockets and the 3 clips in the middle. Makes my paperwork look all professional, which is good because my tax guy is a professional and he has :censored2:-punch gizmo and it all comes together perfectly. I get a 30 cent discount each year on account of I provide the folder.

I pay him good money to do my taxes now but he saves me lots of money. Baka, do you take advantage of that one part of the IRS code? You know which one I'm talking about. I think it's chapter 13, section 2a, subsection IV(2) line 35.5. Or something like that. Anyway -and you will appreciate this- I was audited. The IRS guy was all up in my BIZ-NISS and you know what I did? I sez, "LISSIN, schmuck! You're aware of the 5th paragraph on the 9th page of the eleventeenth chapter, right? Yeah, well I AM TOO. If you think you're going to pull one over on me then you have another thing coming!!"

I was just getting warmed up.

"The Merchant Marine Act of 1920. Look it up, chump. You can't get me for any of that because of the provisions in that one part of the Louisiana Purchase that was emboldened by the Pure Food and Drug Act. And don't even DARE to question my mortgage interest deduction because the Treaty of Versailles divided by Bunker Hill and multiplied by the hypotenuse of 2 shares of FDX stock --- if it's more than 8, then I have full immunity except during leap years. Besides, I converted all of my money from dollars to the metric system. HOW YA LIKE ME NOW?"

He was sweating really bad and apologized for wasting my time. He knew he was dealing with the real thing and not some amateur.

Next month I'm going to see him again because of what I know about the gold that is in (HA! supposed to be in) Fort Knox and I'm entitled to a big settlement to keep my knowledge confidential. Just between the two of us, they've been selling it to finance the CIA's crack cocaine operation in LA, the proceeds of which are used to buy black market gold. You might be thinking (hee hee!) to yourself, "Why would they sell gold, use the money to buy crack, then sell the crack, then buy gold when they've already got the gold?" THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK.
Reminds me of MFE's storytelling.
My question: Do you actually work up a sweat when you lampoon?

MAKAVELI

GPS only registers where the Powerpad is at 60 second increments, when time card codes are entered, and when certain scans are made. It can only be accessed after the courier has shoed his Powerpad and transmitted the info. Telematic-style technology monitors everything about the vehicle and can be accessed in real time.
A software change is all that's needed to have real time access to GPS in our Power Pads.

MAKAVELI

Would obliterate battery life and still wouldn't provide anywhere near the level of data that the vehicle enhancements would.
My point is they don't need Telematics for speed or location. Telematics will be a double edge sword for FedEx. If you want to monitor every aspect of a drivers day and in real time, get ready for a lot lower production and higher costs.

It will be fine

My point is they don't need Telematics for speed or location. Telematics will be a double edge sword for FedEx. If you want to monitor every aspect of a drivers day and in real time, get ready for a lot lower production and higher costs.
Real time location is very helpful for operations. It's become invaluable to me, especially when things go wrong. Engine data would be great to have as well, your mechanic can tell you when to ignore the light and when to shut it down.

MAKAVELI

Real time location is very helpful for operations. It's become invaluable to me, especially when things go wrong. Engine data would be great to have as well, your mechanic can tell you when to ignore the light and when to shut it down.
For management, yes that information is valuable. For us it means slowing down, and going by the book. The reality is the majority of Express couriers cut corners some where to get done. With Telematics they should expect a huge dip in production.

vantexan

As the resident expert on all aspects of corporate operations regardless of the operating unit I am stunned to learn that you're not aware of Ground's long standing practice of demanding access to contractor's private payroll records auditing them then keeping them for their own benefit. As for the accuracy of my payroll records, despite the fact that I worked for HRB as a side line job for more than 10 years with a standing offer to return I had a good friend and certified public accountant prepare file and remit all necessary payroll related information to the only three entities that have a legal right to them, the IRS along with the state and local revenue departments. Wanting that information is a clear testament to the corporate paranoia and suspicion G has long held regarding contractors and the most glaring example to date of it's overreach when it comes to the command and control over a workforce they claim to be "independent contractors". BTW. I am and continue to be in good standing with all revenue departments especially the only one that truly matters....The Internal Revenue Service. In fact in the coming days I will meet with the IRS and present to them a proposal regarding the tax liability as it pertains to the recent 20 state MDL settlement.
Is it true that you actually give more to the IRS than is required?

vantexan

For management, yes that information is valuable. For us it means slowing down, and going by the book. The reality is the majority of Express couriers cut corners some where to get done. With Telematics they should expect a huge dip in production.
And yet management believes if you go by the book you'll actually speed up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And yet management believes if you go by the book you'll actually speed up.

Telematics will show areas that need to be improved upon.

A lot of our newer drivers lose a lot of time "massaging the load". Telematics will show how long the bulkhead door is open at a delivery stop and the on-cars will use that data to work with the newbie to get them to cut down the amount of time they spend in the cargo area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not quite real time----there is a slight delay----but it much quicker than waiting for us to punch out our DIADs and put them in the rack to be downloaded.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Telematics will include sensors on the driver's seat belt and the bulkhead door.

vantexan

Which means if they're going to pay more with the new pay plan then they're going to hold couriers to higher standards. And if they catch a topped out courier cutting corners then he can be replaced with a new hire. The telematics pretty much pays for itself and then some because with the pressure to perform and the general weariness of it all older couriers eventually start cutting corners. Freight up front, parking nose in, leaving doors open, etc. And if you didn't then mgr wants to go over your numbers next morning. Can definitely see the pressure this will put on couriers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Telematics cannot show if you are parked on the wrong side of the street or nosed in.

It will show if you leave your vehicle running or leave the bulkhead door open.

vantexan

Telematics will show areas that need to be improved upon.

A lot of our newer drivers lose a lot of time "massaging the load". Telematics will show how long the bulkhead door is open at a delivery stop and the on-cars will use that data to work with the newbie to get them to cut down the amount of time they spend in the cargo area.
Except most of our rts are much more spread out than UPS rts with less stops and freight. Different dynamic at work.