Improvements to our trucks

vantexan

Our rural routes are held to the same Telematics standards as our in town routes.
And that's just the thing. I had rts with 100+ stops and constant humping and held to same standards on scans, etc as guy with 30 stops who drove 250 miles. I have no idea what UPS management does but a FedEx mgr will use anything he can hold over you no matter how high your productivity is. Not all of them, but a very high percentage. If you think FedEx will use telematics as a teaching tool and will be responsible with it you don't know FedEx.

It will be fine

GPS does not indicate how fast the vehicle was moving, only that you were in the general vicinity of the supposed infraction.
My gps shows the speed of the vehicle every 30 secs. I've used it to be cleared of a complaint of speeding a few times. One time it showed my guy doing 20 mph in a residential area. The other it showed my guy was across town at the time of the alleged complaint.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And that's just the thing. I had rts with 100+ stops and constant humping and held to same standards on scans, etc as guy with 30 stops who drove 250 miles. I have no idea what UPS management does but a FedEx mgr will use anything he can hold over you no matter how high your productivity is. Not all of them, but a very high percentage. If you think FedEx will use telematics as a teaching tool and will be responsible with it you don't know FedEx.

Our rural drivers tend to be the target for performance rides.

bbsam

Staff member
I do agree that corporate has no right to examine your books.
I'm not sure they do look at them. I know every year our accountant has to sign off that we are meeting accounting standards. Not a big deal to me. I have never been asked for payroll records or expense accounts. I was once audited to make sure all my employees were eVerified.

vantexan

Our rural drivers tend to be the target for performance rides.
Let me give an example. When I was 33 I transferred into a rt that was by far the worst in the station. Locals wouldn't touch it and laughed when they found out what rt I would be doing. I literally ran all day, and by ran I don't mean walk fast. My 4X10 cover driver literally broke down emotionally over it one day. In spite of that my mgr decided since I was the new guy I should unload cans. When I finished I got to my truck and freight was stacked higher than my head. Front to back, top to bottom stuffed most days and as I started scanning half of the station with little in their trucks were heading out the door. Knowing just how bad my rt was my Sr mgr still got in my face one day wagging his finger and telling me I took too long to get out of bldg. I had to threaten GFT to get out of cans. And scanned like a madman to get loaded in time and missed scans. Mgr pointed out that so and so never missed scans. I pointed out I had 6 times as much freight as so and so and limited time to get it done. He actually said it was his experience that couriers who missed scans were going to do it no matter how much freight they have. I'm sorry but your company and mine are different animals and because we don't have a union we're treated like morons by A-holes who half the time can't do the work themselves. In FedEx world any technology they install will be primarily used against couriers, not to improve them.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Let me give an example. When I was 33 I transferred into a rt that was by far the worst in the station. Locals wouldn't touch it and laughed when they found out what rt I would be doing. I literally ran all day, and by ran I don't mean walk fast. My 4X10 cover driver literally broke down emotionally over it one day. In spite of that my mgr decided since I was the new guy I should unload cans. When I finished I got to my truck and freight was stacked higher than my head. Front to back, top to bottom stuffed most days and as I started scanning half of the station with little in their trucks were heading out the door. Knowing just how bad my rt was my Sr mgr still got in my face one day wagging his finger and telling me I took too long to get out of bldg. I had to threaten GFT to get out of cans. And scanned like a madman to get loaded in time and missed scans. Mgr pointed out that so and so never missed scans. I pointed out I had 6 times as much freight as so and so and limited time to get it done. He actually said it was his experience that couriers who missed scans were going to do it no matter how much freight they have. I'm sorry but your company and mine are different animals and because we don't have a union we're treated like morons by A-holes who half the time can't do the work themselves. In FedEx world any technology they install will be primarily used against couriers, not to improve them.
Paragraphs are your friend

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My point is they don't need Telematics for speed or location. Telematics will be a double edge sword for FedEx. If you want to monitor every aspect of a drivers day and in real time, get ready for a lot lower production and higher costs.
Telematics-ish data gives a much more thorough picture with much better data.

59 Dano

Which means if they're going to pay more with the new pay plan then they're going to hold couriers to higher standards. And if they catch a topped out courier cutting corners then he can be replaced with a new hire. The telematics pretty much pays for itself and then some because with the pressure to perform and the general weariness of it all older couriers eventually start cutting corners. Freight up front, parking nose in, leaving doors open, etc. And if you didn't then mgr wants to go over your numbers next morning. Can definitely see the pressure this will put on couriers.
Now you're catching on!

59 Dano

Except most of our rts are much more spread out than UPS rts with less stops and freight. Different dynamic at work.
It's the same dynamic. If there's too much time that's wasted in the cargo area, it will show up. If there's too much time wasted sitting in the seat and the vehicle isn't moving, it will show up. And so forth.