Improvements to our trucks

bacha29

Is it true that you actually give more to the IRS than is required?
Pay attention I'll explain. The 20 state MDL class action law suit over the question of whether the guys at G were contractors or employees during the years 2001 though 2007 was settled out of court with X admitting no quilt or liability. Settlement checks for the class members are now being sent out. As a parting shot X is sending 1099's out with the checks lumping the entire payment into 2017 to be taxed as ordinary income at the prevailing rate of taxation which will most likely mean that the class members will end up paying at a higher rate. It is my hope that the IRS will allow class members to go back and amend their returns for those years pay the taxes owed which might be lower rather than dumping it all into one year although there will likely be interest owed on the unpaid balance for those years. Currently you can only go back 3 years and amend returns. There is little chance of getting approval and the savings may be little considering the interest but reporting higher incomes in the years in question could result in a higher Social Security monthly benefit for class members in the future.Given the fact that G had on record both the years and the weeks upon which the settlement payments were based dumping it all into one year was clearly out of spite.

MAKAVELI

Which means if they're going to pay more with the new pay plan then they're going to hold couriers to higher standards. And if they catch a topped out courier cutting corners then he can be replaced with a new hire. The telematics pretty much pays for itself and then some because with the pressure to perform and the general weariness of it all older couriers eventually start cutting corners. Freight up front, parking nose in, leaving doors open, etc. And if you didn't then mgr wants to go over your numbers next morning. Can definitely see the pressure this will put on couriers.

Now you're catching on!

It's the same dynamic. If there's too much time that's wasted in the cargo area, it will show up. If there's too much time wasted sitting in the seat and the vehicle isn't moving, it will show up. And so forth.
With a 10 step progression, FedEx won't find too many new hires to put up with UPS style harassment. Again, good luck with that.

Oldfart

Let me give an example. When I was 33 I transferred into a rt that was by far the worst in the station. Locals wouldn't touch it and laughed when they found out what rt I would be doing. I literally ran all day, and by ran I don't mean walk fast. My 4X10 cover driver literally broke down emotionally over it one day. In spite of that my mgr decided since I was the new guy I should unload cans. When I finished I got to my truck and freight was stacked higher than my head. Front to back, top to bottom stuffed most days and as I started scanning half of the station with little in their trucks were heading out the door. Knowing just how bad my rt was my Sr mgr still got in my face one day wagging his finger and telling me I took too long to get out of bldg. I had to threaten GFT to get out of cans. And scanned like a madman to get loaded in time and missed scans. Mgr pointed out that so and so never missed scans. I pointed out I had 6 times as much freight as so and so and limited time to get it done. He actually said it was his experience that couriers who missed scans were going to do it no matter how much freight they have. I'm sorry but your company and mine are different animals and because we don't have a union we're treated like morons by A-holes who half the time can't do the work themselves. In FedEx world any technology they install will be primarily used against couriers, not to improve them.
Another one of your sad stories. Life sure dealt you a crappy hand.

Meat

When you not only suffer from diarrhea-of-the-mouth, but also are addicted to drama/dysfunction, you become a natural target for management; it doesn't matter who you work for. Poor Van never figured that out, which is strange, as he seems to fancy himself as an intelligent person.

vantexan

When you not only suffer from diarrhea-of-the-mouth, but also are addicted to drama/dysfunction, you become a natural target for management; it doesn't matter who you work for. Poor Van never figured that out, which is strange, as he seems to fancy himself as an intelligent person.
Right. Was there 13 months before getting a check ride. As soon as mgr saw what I was doing took about 10% of rt off of me immediately. There's a reason rts are posted in JCATS. Too many times it's a rt locals won't touch. But then if you were a courier you'd know that.

vantexan

You got in early, got a sweet rt, and have been on cruise control ever since. You have no idea what goes on out there. I've worked for numerous mgrs who got fired. Nothing to do with me. If mgrs tell you on phone before transferring what your rt will be, and then turns into something completely different and they lied to get you there, is that my fault? That killer rt that I described above? I was the only one who could get it done and it was broken up after I transferred. I've had 5 or 6 rts reconfigured after I left to accommodate others. Because I could handle them they wouldn't change them for me. And Meat likes to portray me a certain way but how come all those mgrs begged me to stay, not transfer? One lied to me about a hiring freeze to keep me from transferring but a GFT put a stop to that. One called me up twice after transferring and asked me to come back, he could make it happen. I constantly volunteered to work Saturdays, days off, Christmas and Mother's Day. In my late 40's I volunteered to unload cans. That was the location that lied to me about hiring freeze. I was tops in productivity most every month. And this was what was frustrating to me about FedEx. They take advantage of people who work hard without rewarding them. Many mgrs were abusive, and not bright enough to realize that they shouldn't have been until I put in for a transfer. Their attitude improved immensely when they suddenly realized they were losing someone who helped their numbers and was always there for them. I worked a lot harder than just about every topped out courier I ever met. Where's my reward for doing so? I've got a pension that in 11.5 years will drop to next to nothing. And never got enough pay to get a decent nest egg together, just like tens of thousands of others. Your favorite company was a scam artist, but you got in early and did well. So how could so many of us be unhappy? Go back into the archives of this forum and see all the angry posts. Wasn't just me and MrFedEx. A lot of people have come and gone, got frustrated with this forum because getting a union was thwarted and all we could do was bitch about it. You don't have a clue, Meat doesn't have a clue, yet you two puff yourselves up as if you know all there is to know.

Oldfart

You got in early, got a sweet rt, and have been on cruise control ever since. You have no idea what goes on out there. I've worked for numerous mgrs who got fired. Nothing to do with me. If mgrs tell you on phone before transferring what your rt will be, and then turns into something completely different and they lied to get you there, is that my fault? That killer rt that I described above? I was the only one who could get it done and it was broken up after I transferred. I've had 5 or 6 rts reconfigured after I left to accommodate others. Because I could handle them they wouldn't change them for me. And Meat likes to portray me a certain way but how come all those mgrs begged me to stay, not transfer? One lied to me about a hiring freeze to keep me from transferring but a GFT put a stop to that. One called me up twice after transferring and asked me to come back, he could make it happen. I constantly volunteered to work Saturdays, days off, Christmas and Mother's Day. In my late 40's I volunteered to unload cans. That was the location that lied to me about hiring freeze. I was tops in productivity most every month. And this was what was frustrating to me about FedEx. They take advantage of people who work hard without rewarding them. Many mgrs were abusive, and not bright enough to realize that they shouldn't have been until I put in for a transfer. Their attitude improved immensely when they suddenly realized they were losing someone who helped their numbers and was always there for them. I worked a lot harder than just about every topped out courier I ever met. Where's my reward for doing so? I've got a pension that in 11.5 years will drop to next to nothing. And never got enough pay to get a decent nest egg together, just like tens of thousands of others. Your favorite company was a scam artist, but you got in early and did well. So how could so many of us be unhappy? Go back into the archives of this forum and see all the angry posts. Wasn't just me and MrFedEx. A lot of people have come and gone, got frustrated with this forum because getting a union was thwarted and all we could do was bitch about it. You don't have a clue, Meat doesn't have a clue, yet you two puff yourselves up as if you know all there is to know.
Tried reading all this but the tears were pouring down my face from your sad story and I just couldn't finish it. Sorry

whenIgetthere

It's the same dynamic. If there's too much time that's wasted in the cargo area, it will show up. If there's too much time wasted sitting in the seat and the vehicle isn't moving, it will show up. And so forth.

In those two cases, I can think of two couriers who would be screwed! One who drives a lift, told me when he turns the ignition on after each stop, he doesn't drive off till the three minute alarm sounds! And he was very proud of that fact.

MAKAVELI

I've always gotten a kick out of people who get bent out of shape over these types of things.
Everyone has their limit as to how much bs they are willing to deal with. Reduce that progression to 3 or 4 years and you'll have a younger workforce willing to work hard and not " get bent out of shape over these types of things". Otherwise, you can expect high turnover, low productivity and increased costs.

vantexan

You were a courier; why did you fall into the rts trap, Einstein?
I was working for the pension, not to move up in a system that was corrupt. You may enjoy being an office jockey, I don't. But to work that hard, never get rewarded, have traditional pension terminated, is on them, not me. Just glad I got something out of it. These guys today may be getting more money but they're going to have to sacrifice and save like crazy to have a decent retirement and work until late 60's. By the way, wife is getting on at Post Office, starting at more than I left FedEx at. Will allow me to go to Europe and live on less than 700 a month. Which means will save more than $12k a year, something I couldn't do if I stayed at Express.

vantexan

Everyone has their limit as to how much bs they are willing to deal with. Reduce that progression to 3 or 4 years and you'll have a younger workforce willing to work hard and not " get bent out of shape over these types of things". Otherwise, you can expect high turnover, low productivity and increased costs.
I used to hear about UPS mgrs timing how long it took a driver to walk to his truck in their building. Don't know how true that was but it sounds like FedEx is going the same rt so as to hassle couriers to the point they quit by late 30's early 40's and never collect on all those years as a topped out employee.

Meat

I was working for the pension, not to move up in a system that was corrupt. You may enjoy being an office jockey, I don't. But to work that hard, never get rewarded, have traditional pension terminated, is on them, not me. Just glad I got something out of it. These guys today may be getting more money but they're going to have to sacrifice and save like crazy to have a decent retirement and work until late 60's. By the way, wife is getting on at Post Office, starting at more than I left FedEx at. Will allow me to go to Europe and live on less than 700 a month. Which means will save more than $12k a year, something I couldn't do if I stayed at Express.

Me thinks this won't work out. Sorry mate, trouble loves you. Much like Mexico, your foray into Europe will meet a similar fate. Furthermore, your wife will eventually, and rightfully so, get to thinking that you are completely gratuitous, seeing that she will be the bread winner, and you will have essentially abandoned her. To be honest with you, she's probably already :censored2:ing somebody else.