Improvements to our trucks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What do you consider getting paid poorly is in terms of millennials. These kids are literally graduating college/highschool into stagnating wages and companies that no longer want to pay a living wage.

One of my sons college buddies graduated with a social work degree only to start at 14 dollars an hour, my sons wife is on her third teaching job, she has just hit 40k a year

My son has his MBA, started at $68K, just received a promotion and a $5-10K bump in pay.

Oldfart

My son has his MBA, started at $68K, just received a promotion and a $5-10K bump in pay.
A Bachelor in business around here will get you close to 60k. His bump would be close to starting pay with that degree My son and many of his friends scared 60k right out of college without a Masters. Plenty of jobs for those with degrees around here. There is a larger than normal presence of Fortune 500 branches in this area.

Purplepackage

Then you live in the wrong part of the country. My daughter, freshly graduated with a BA, started at over $50K teaching. Texas, not californication.

They live in Colorado, some of the lowest wages for new teachers yet some of the highest cost of living in the country depending on where you are

Schweddy

Balls
"My manager should leave me alone and let me do my job" is usually followed by "My manager doesn't have any idea what I face out there. No interest in me or what I do."

Not all managers have a clue. My previous manager wasn't knowledgeable about his territory but expected the world out of everybody. It gets old.

Rhoderunner

This company can't get DRA right. Can't wait for this new cluster friend!!!!! Hope they don't go back to the shady discount broker who swindled them with the DRA software.

Star B

White Lightening
"My manager should leave me alone and let me do my job" is usually followed by "My manager doesn't have any idea what I face out there. No interest in me or what I do."
When your manager was a courier and they were just using a clipboard because that's how advanced we were.... Yes, they don't. They haven't existed as a courier in a DRA/PPad world. Check rides only count for a minuscule amount because that's only a snapshot of the route.

This company can't get DRA right. Can't wait for this new cluster friend!!!!! Hope they don't go back to the shady discount broker who swindled them with the DRA software.
I heard from another manager that that guy quit as soon as DRA was written.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
When your manager was a courier and they were just using a clipboard because that's how advanced we were.... Yes, they don't. They haven't existed as a courier in a DRA/PPad world.

What's the complaint? "You didn't have it as easy as we do"?

dvalleyjim

Wait until they try this out on the so called "independent contractors" over at Ground. Don't think they won't try this sometime in the near future? When G ordered me to turn over the PRIVATE payroll records of my privately organized S corp for their audit, evaluation, retention that was it for me.That was when they crossed the line. I had nothing to hide but when I asked for the specific rule of law that granted them legal access they provided nothing. No surprise. They're FedEx. The law doesn't APPLY to them, especially now with all the major class actions settled with G not having to admit fault or liability.

Dude, Ground doesn't even run trucks that could pass a DOT inspection let alone tracking non-employee's driving habits.

Yeah, I thought that whole "we need to look at your books" thing was weird. But any contractor I talked to shrugged it off. Also having to do contract bids but not allowing you to use negotiators or lawyers. Look, from day 1 when I contracted with Roadway Package Systems I knew this was a scam for them to have union protection and not have the hassle of maintaining a fleet and employees but still exerting total control. But when I started they knew it was a scam and let me run it as a scam. Everyone was in on it. I just had a lot more legal exposure. When they came to me with the CA new deal I realized that only FedEx has the scam and I have nowhere to go. Drivers have nowhere to go. I would always tell my drivers that this was dead end unless your willing to get your own truck and route and many times would sell them their routes when they where split. That's gone. Dead end for drivers. That's why Ground is now a dead end job for the driver. That being said, if you can deal with running 15-20 vans and all the control BS from x I guess they like it.

vantexan

Dude, Ground doesn't even run trucks that could pass a DOT inspection let alone tracking non-employee's driving habits.

Yeah, I thought that whole "we need to look at your books" thing was weird. But any contractor I talked to shrugged it off. Also having to do contract bids but not allowing you to use negotiators or lawyers. Look, from day 1 when I contracted with Roadway Package Systems I knew this was a scam for them to have union protection and not have the hassle of maintaining a fleet and employees but still exerting total control. But when I started they knew it was a scam and let me run it as a scam. Everyone was in on it. I just had a lot more legal exposure. When they came to me with the CA new deal I realized that only FedEx has the scam and I have nowhere to go. Drivers have nowhere to go. I would always tell my drivers that this was dead end unless your willing to get your own truck and route and many times would sell them their routes when they where split. That's gone. Dead end for drivers. That's why Ground is now a dead end job for the driver. That being said, if you can deal with running 15-20 vans and all the control BS from x I guess they like it.
I've always thought if you had a military pension and V.A. healthcare, were in your late thirties to 40's, and just wanted a fairly independent job without too much hassle, then an extended Ground rt in a small van would be a good deal. Beyond that I just can't see the attraction.

HedleyLamarr

Back to the original topic, will we get any notification when these are installed? Could be really interesting if they put them in and not tell us for a week.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Back to the original topic, will we get any notification when these are installed? Could be really interesting if they put them in and not tell us for a week.

They will most certainly tell you. Unless they don't. If vehicle MX is taking a lot of trucks out of service in a short period of time, there's your answer.

It will be fine

They will most certainly tell you. Unless they don't. If vehicle MX is taking a lot of trucks out of service in a short period of time, there's your answer.
I installed my gps units covertly. It was fun to see what guys were doing. It only takes around 20 min to install a unit so I don't think they'll need to pull the trucks out of service to do it. Any new hires know about them up front, it seems expected at this point.

MAKAVELI

I would think telematics would require more time to install. Various sensors and wired into the trucks electrical system.

MAKAVELI

I installed my gps units covertly. It was fun to see what guys were doing. It only takes around 20 min to install a unit so I don't think they'll need to pull the trucks out of service to do it. Any new hires know about them up front, it seems expected at this point.
I would think telematics would require more time to install. Various sensors and wired into the trucks electrical system.