Improvements to our trucks

vantexan

What is a lift?
Me thinks this won't work out. Sorry mate, trouble loves you. Much like Mexico, your foray into Europe will meet a similar fate. Furthermore, your wife will eventually, and rightfully so, get to thinking that you are completely gratuitous, seeing that she will be the bread winner, and you will have essentially abandoned her. To be honest with you, she's probably already :censored2:ing somebody else.
See what I mean, always personal, never discussing actual things concerning the company. You really don't have a clue.

Star B

White Lightening
Everyone has their limit as to how much bs they are willing to deal with. Reduce that progression to 3 or 4 years and you'll have a younger workforce willing to work hard and not " get bent out of shape over these types of things". Otherwise, you can expect high turnover, low productivity and increased costs.
Even with a lower top out, turnover will still be higher. Most millennials are not willing to work a job like this, getting paid this poorly(both in now cash and retirement), and dealing with this bull:censored2: management stress/harassment. Some will, most won't.

Let me do my job. Don't overload me constantly and expect me to always operate at 110%. Don't let DRA schedule routes for P1s ending at 10:29:58. The closer to the edge you walk, the easier it is for you to fall. Remember, it's PEOPLE, service profit, not PROFIT service PROFIT.

Deaf ears again on that last part. Bears repeating, however.

Oh, and that part about the mechanic watching your truck telematics and responding to lights...... that would require a mechanic that's not just cruising or similarly under management bull:censored2:. Most of our trucks have at least one or two lights on. I would LOVE for the State Police to show up and do a truck audit. We would be so screwed.

MAKAVELI

I used to hear about UPS mgrs timing how long it took a driver to walk to his truck in their building. Don't know how true that was but it sounds like FedEx is going the same rt so as to hassle couriers to the point they quit by late 30's early 40's and never collect on all those years as a topped out employee.
Most UPS drivers deal with the bs because of the high pay and benefits. FedEx has half the pay and less than half the benefits. Guess what will happen if FedEx has the same level of harassment.

SmithBarney

A software change is all that's needed to have real time access to GPS in our Power Pads.

Software, and Hardware, because the current batteries we have cannot handle the load required to maintain a robust data connection all day.. They've tried. As it is batteries are hitting 20% by 1300, unless you are lucky enough to have one of the special extended run batteries. then you get till 1600.

Schweddy

Balls
In my defense, my programmer did not input enough information regarding life as a FedEx employee.

Ooh right, we don't have a life outside of Fedex. You practicing to become a manager, hotshot?

Maybe Fedex can issue everyone some pervitin to keep us going strong.

MAKAVELI

Software, and Hardware, because the current batteries we have cannot handle the load required to maintain a robust data connection all day.. They've tried. As it is batteries are hitting 20% by 1300, unless you are lucky enough to have one of the special extended run batteries. then you get till 1600.
A lot less expensive than retrofitting every vehicle and new software for Power Pads.

SmithBarney

A lot less expensive than retrofitting every vehicle and new software for Power Pads.

It's a gamble they don't want to take, Risk vs reward... you can't risk PPADs dying.
and if you've been here long enough you know that FedEx will Step over a Dollar to save a dime. They'll gladly dump money where it really doesn't need to..
For Example, Changing all the logos to Purple/Orange...what a waste for what? more confused customers.

MAKAVELI

It's a gamble they don't want to take, Risk vs reward... you can't risk PPADs dying.
and if you've been here long enough you know that FedEx will Step over a Dollar to save a dime. They'll gladly dump money where it really doesn't need to..
For Example, Changing all the logos to Purple/Orange...what a waste for what? more confused customers.
Or pay $2.5 billion for Kinkos only to change the name to FedEx Office.

Purplepackage

Even with a lower top out, turnover will still be higher. Most millennials are not willing to work a job like this, getting paid this poorly(both in now cash and retirement), and dealing with this bull:censored2: management stress/harassment. Some will, most won't.

Let me do my job. Don't overload me constantly and expect me to always operate at 110%. Don't let DRA schedule routes for P1s ending at 10:29:58. The closer to the edge you walk, the easier it is for you to fall. Remember, it's PEOPLE, service profit, not PROFIT service PROFIT.

Oh, and that part about the mechanic watching your truck telematics and responding to lights...... that would require a mechanic that's not just cruising or similarly under management bull:censored2:. Most of our trucks have at least one or two lights on. I would LOVE for the State Police to show up and do a truck audit. We would be so screwed.

What do you consider getting paid poorly is in terms of millennials. These kids are literally graduating college/highschool into stagnating wages and companies that no longer want to pay a living wage.

One of my sons college buddies graduated with a social work degree only to start at 14 dollars an hour, my sons wife is on her third teaching job, she has just hit 40k a year

MAKAVELI

What do you consider getting paid poorly is in terms of millennials. These kids are literally graduating college/highschool into stagnating wages and companies that no longer want to pay a living wage.

One of my sons college buddies graduated with a social work degree only to start at 14 dollars an hour, my sons wife is on her third teaching job, she has just hit 40k a year
The key to making a decent living in those two Fields is to get in on the administration side.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Everyone has their limit as to how much bs they are willing to deal with. Reduce that progression to 3 or 4 years and you'll have a younger workforce willing to work hard and not " get bent out of shape over these types of things". Otherwise, you can expect high turnover, low productivity and increased costs.

No one cares about the modifications they're going to make to the trucks, regardless of pay. There's the initial histrionics from couriers that accompany anything new, then it dies down.

59 Dano

"My manager should leave me alone and let me do my job" is usually followed by "My manager doesn't have any idea what I face out there. No interest in me or what I do."

59 Dano

The key to making a decent living in those two Fields is to get in on the administration side.

And listen to those who work in those fields complain about the admin. The key is to avoid those fields in any capacity at all, period.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Then you live in the wrong part of the country. My daughter, freshly graduated with a BA, started at over $50K teaching. Texas, not californication.