In the end, who wins??? And at what cost?

Karma...

Do you think UPS has any advantages or leverage against the union for a strike that they did not have in 97?
yes.....public vs private......management can now freely sell stock whereas before one had a nice talk with the district manager...... most management folks have sold most if not all of their stock and are praying that there is a strike to buy back in........its not either the same company or the same environment as when ups was private.....

Doubleparkedrunner

Hopefully we can come to a deal on this contract because we got some excellent language.
Honestly the best I can ever remember in my career
While I agree with you that the language is excellent , the problem i have is that some of the excellent language being put in place was already there ; the union just doesn't seem to fight for it in the first place.

Solidifying language doesn't do us any good if the company flauts and ignores the contract at every turn.

Things like being forced in for sixth punch , contractually speaking , aren't even a legitimate thing.

So , the fact that "NOW' we have solid language against forced 6th punches doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever.

UPS does what they want , when they want and the union plays the role of "Washington Generals " in many an instance.

For this reaon alone, I'll vote "no" on any contract each and every time until the day i retire.

Trucker Clock

Really? Where are you getting 1.5 billion in profit from?

The US segment of UPS that is unionized only made 63.9 billion last year. far less than the 100 billion o Brian is trying to claim.
With a
6% price increase
10% avg. net profit margins

63.9 billion x (06% X .10) = 383.4 million

Will get you far less than a billion on a 6% increase. Last year operating cost were
$87.244B spread across all business units.
Fix expense and the teamsters would never have to strike again.

Yeah, I was mistaken. He said $2.5-$3B. Whoops.

Hypothetical situation, If every hourlie made $5 per hour more out of the gate, that would equate to roughly $3.5-4 billion per year, which is almost $1B per quarter.....and UPS is profiting roughly $2.5-3.5B per quarter.

While I agree with you that the language is excellent , the problem i have is that some of the excellent language being put in place was already there ; the union just doesn't seem to fight for it in the first place.

Solidifying language doesn't do us any good if the company flauts and ignores the contract at every turn.

Things like being forced in for sixth punch , contractually speaking , aren't even a legitimate thing.

So , the fact that "NOW' we have solid language against forced 6th punches doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever.

UPS does what they want , when they want and the union plays the role of "Washington Generals " in many an instance.

For this reaon alone, I'll vote "no" on any contract each and every time until the day i retire.
Is certainly you're right to vote how you want to.
This is my last contract it's excited for the next generation to have some good language

Doubleparkedrunner

Is certainly you're right to vote how you want to.
This is my last contract it's excited for the next generation to have some good language
7smhjn.jpeg

Brown Down

The US segment of UPS that is unionized only made 63.9 billion last year. far less than the 100 billion o Brian is trying to claim.
With a
6% price increase

Will get you far less than a billion on a 6% increase. Last year operating cost were
the firest thing on google shows ups revenue at 100.3 billion and that came from "gasp" UPS's own website. Maybe you should check your other numbers before someone else looks them up to see how accurate they are. I have much better things to do.
UPS Releases 1Q 2023 Earnings. shown just a third of the way down the page.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
the firest thing on google shows ups revenue at 100.3 billion and that came from "gasp" UPS's own website. Maybe you should check your other numbers before someone else looks them up to see how accurate they are. I have much better things to do.
UPS Releases 1Q 2023 Earnings. shown just a third of the way down the page.

Use this website and look under “our segment” and look for US domestic.
It highlights what the unionized side of the business made. also known as the package side of the business.

I under estimated the gains but was not too far off.

2021 vs. 2022 numbers highlight my point.

Rev:60.3 Billion
Pro: 6.44 Billion

Rev:64.21 Billion
Pro: 7 billion

We made almost 4 billion dollars more in 22 but was only able to net 660 million from those billions.

MostHelpNeeded

It highlights what the unionized side of the business made. also known as the package side of the business.

We made almost 4 billion dollars more in 22 but was only able to net 660 million from those billions.
I follow your numbers, but what's your point? We made money.

No one is saying when we increase revenue we should get to keep 100% of that as profits.

Brown Down

which is different than revenue ie what the company made. if you were talking gains then call it gains. BIG difference. revenue is how much the company made total. Gains is how much profit the company made with normal expenditures(rent, pay, etc etc) it is also what is made BEFORE any is put back into the company for upgrades, bonuses, dividends, etc etc.
It still doesn't look good that a company Gained 60 Billion but is too broke to pay people. It isn't a good look that company profited 7 billion more but can't pay people. Any way you slice it "the we have nothing to give" approach only works on imbiciles and people with their heads up their asses.

brownIEman

And we are going to get it because we deserve it

I would like the same 60% increase at the shareholders got . Let's start out with that...

And I want to MIP bonus also
Are you kidding?
Do the math. A 60% increase in pay to all hourly would either bankrupt the company or force it to price it's services right out of the market.
Look, the hourly payroll is by far the company's largest single expense. As it should be. If you are going to demand a 60% increase or strike, enjoy the picket line.

I will remind you the company offered you a bonus calculated off the profit of the company (as MIP is) that would have paid tens of thousands based on the record profits hit over the past 26 years. Carry and the IBT told the company to roll that offer into a tight little ball and shove it. I'm not even suggesting Carrey was wrong to do that, I'm just pointing out you were once offered a share in company profits.

Are you kidding?
Do the math. A 60% increase in pay to all hourly would either bankrupt the company or force it to price it's services right out of the market.
Look, the hourly payroll is by far the company's largest single expense. As it should be. If you are going to demand a 60% increase or strike, enjoy the picket line.

I will remind you the company offered you a bonus calculated off the profit of the company (as MIP is) that would have paid tens of thousands based on the record profits hit over the past 26 years. Carry and the IBT told the company to roll that offer into a tight little ball and shove it. I'm not even suggesting Carrey was wrong to do that, I'm just pointing out you were once offered a share in company profits.
It's Saturday
Relax
All I was trying to say the company cannot cry poor

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I'm concerned over what's actually going on. I think there is a lot the union is not telling us as we tumble towards what seems like an inevitable strike at this point. My stewards know next to nothing with both of them complaining of feeling left out of the loop by local leadership.

UPS is slow and reactive but doesn't want anything to disrupt their bottom dollar. I can't imagine Carol and Co. don't have some sort of contingency plan that could blindside the Teamsters and leave us out of work for a very long time. I hope I'm wrong and the contract gets resolved at the 11th hour.

I'm concerned over what's actually going on. I think there is a lot the union is not telling us as we tumble towards what seems like an inevitable strike at this point. My stewards know next to nothing with both of them complaining of feeling left out of the loop by local leadership.

UPS is slow and reactive but doesn't want anything to disrupt their bottom dollar. I can't imagine Carol and Co. don't have some sort of contingency plan that could blindside the Teamsters and leave us out of work for a very long time. I hope I'm wrong and the contract gets resolved at the 11th hour.
They don't have a plan for Christmas and they know when that's coming. If they think they can get it done without us, they will fall on their faces. No pilots, no truck drivers, a handful of insiders and package drivers. Their master plan is to depend on their supervisors, and that's when they'll find out what we all know, they're worthless.

upschuck

With a
6% price increase

You do know when you have an increase of 6%, you multiply by 1.06, and not .06?

That would give those numbers 6.7B, and not your figure of 383.4m.