Increased Stop Count Reactions

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
So I’ve been driving for 2 years( right before the 22.4 contract) what’s the issue with runners? Especially for the seniors who have retirement routes and are by default guaranteed 40 hrs or more a week? What do others have to do with it?

Running and speeding and working through breaks helps the company legitimize their insane production standards and gives them something to point to when they harass people who actually work at a dignified pace.

Now I don’t go slow. I go out there every day and try to get it done. Still young and energetic lol. But it is against the spirit of a union job to work like a maniac all day.

bdmiz

The right way sounds very subjective. Work what suits you best, no one actually cares about what colleagues have to deal with. If that’s the case then 8 hrs and optional days are guaranteed to screw someone else’s route. Those are used viciously. As long as you do the work and follow the methods. That’s the “ right way”
the right way is not "subjective." there are rules and methods we are required to follow, following these rule and methods is "the right way." skipping your lunch and all the other dumb :censored2: these idiot runners do is just asinine. Yeah bud we get it you're 22 years old, you just got the 22.4 job you wanna impress everyone yada yada yada.

rentadawg

the right way is not "subjective." there are rules and methods we are required to follow, following these rule and methods is "the right way." skipping your lunch and all the other dumb * these idiot runners do is just asinine. Yeah bud we get it you're 22 years old, you just got the 22.4 job you wanna impress everyone yada yada yada.
30 years old actually but thanks for assuming. I take a 30 min lunch so I’m following the methods kind sir. Methods never say to make the job my whole life by doing 10-11 hours constantly. I would’ve been a doctor making way more if I wanted to married to the job. By the way I qualified right before the 22.4 contract was enacted so I’m full time

Off the leash

30 years old actually but thanks for assuming. I take a 30 min lunch so I’m following the methods kind sir. Methods never say to make the job my whole life by doing 10-11 hours constantly. I would’ve been a doctor making way more if I wanted to married to the job
Then don’t screw it up for the ones that can’t be doctors you little rabbit

bdmiz

30 years old actually but thanks for assuming. I take a 30 min lunch so I’m following the methods kind sir. Methods never say to make the job my whole life by doing 10-11 hours constantly. I would’ve been a doctor making way more if I wanted to married to the job. By the way I qualified right before the 22.4 contract was enacted so I’m full time
I wasn't really referencing you in particular, I just meant runners these days. Trust me when I tell you once you're 16-20 years deep you WILL slow down. These things we say as semi senior and senior drivers is more advice, we've been through that phase of this job and we know it doesn't turn out well, thats it. You can listen or you can phase it out, either way I'll retire with my body intact and being able to do things i want to do. Runners will not, thats a fact.

bdmiz

And I forgot to add, the 9.5 list is there a reason. If I work 10-11 hours constantly then its a dispatch problem and I have too much work. The only way you're gonna accomplish anything and be bulletproof is to follow the methods 100%. You think if I finish my route before 9.5 when I'm over dispatched because I have something to do that day they won't hold it against me? You bet your ass they will, they will bring it up in the next meeting you have.
You work the same pace everyday no matter what, with the methods. You only slow down from a side effect of fatigue from too much work. If you don't, you open yourself up to harassment and over supervision. They can observe or ride with you as many times as you want but if you're using the methods etc etc etc and you are consistent with your work they cannot touch you and they WILL adjust your route, trust me.

Rack em

Made the Podium
And I forgot to add, the 9.5 list is there a reason. If I work 10-11 hours constantly then its a dispatch problem and I have too much work. The only way you're gonna accomplish anything and be bulletproof is to follow the methods 100%. You think if I finish my route before 9.5 when I'm over dispatched because I have something to do that day they won't hold it against me? You bet your ass they will, they will bring it up in the next meeting you have.
You work the same pace everyday no matter what, with the methods. You only slow down from a side effect of fatigue from too much work. If you don't, you open yourself up to harassment and over supervision. They can observe or ride with you as many times as you want but if you're using the methods etc etc etc and you are consistent with your work they cannot touch you and they WILL adjust your route, trust me.
100000% agree, well said.

AKCoverMan

Because the union is a bunch of politics. I’ve brought problems to them that they would say you couldn’t file on.
Not every problem at UPS is a grievance. But filing 9.5 is pretty simple and straight forward. The fact that you may have lost a grievance in the past is not a reason to just not even file anymore.

You are the union too. Get Involved yourself if the stewards in your building are not. Know your BA and your local.

AKCoverMan

Funny side note I had to edit above reply to BrownStains because it spellcheck autocorrected to “know your BS and your union.”

I mean any of us who make it thru progression already know the BS at UPS 🤣🤣🤣

BrownStains

Not every problem at UPS is a grievance. But filing 9.5 is pretty simple and straight forward. The fact that you may have lost a grievance in the past is not a reason to just not even file anymore.

You are the union too. Get Involved yourself if the stewards in your building are not. Know your BA and your local.
I haven’t lost any grievance. 9.5 is simple and straight forward, that’s why these fools file . But when it comes to issues that may not be so clear in our contract then the union can’t help , even if they know it’s wrong what management does. It could be a range of issues. But if the union does nothing and management does whatever , what’s that say about how weak the union is?

BrownStains

And what about if the union sides with management ? I’ve seen people fired over stuff that the union would let them fire. Tell me that’s not corrupt if the union sides with management .

AKCoverMan

And what about if the union sides with management ? I’ve seen people fired over stuff that the union would let them fire. Tell me that’s not corrupt if the union sides with management .
Your speaking in very broad and general terms. What if management is actually right? It happens.

Unless you are the employee being terminated it’s highly unlikely that you have all the details of the case from both sides. If you do, that’s also a problem as a members disciplinary case should not be public knowledge.

Still, I know people talk, often the member themselves.. several terminations I know of that stuck over almost two decades that I gotta say I tend to agree with: rookie who thru NDA letter in trash to avoid having late air and getting called in to office (yeah, that happened), driver caught on camera swiping a wallet off a table at a stop, guy who no call no showed so many Friday’s that a termination for attendance stuck.

But frankly, you have to really try hard to get fired and have it stick. Sadly, management will fire members knowing full well it won’t stick just to try to send a message.