Inside UPS "Connections" Story???

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I was just wondering how you expect me as a driver to continue to meet or exceed customer expectations and make those valuable connections when I am forced to follow an Orion system that is flawed in its design and allows no flexibility for a driver to take customer service into consideration when planning their day?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was just wondering how you expect me as a driver to continue to meet or exceed customer expectations and make those valuable connections when I am forced to follow an Orion system that is flawed in its design and allows no flexibility for a driver to take customer service into consideration when planning their day?

UPS has great belief in the ability of it's driver workforce.
They are counting on you to find a way.

Rah, rah, rah, GO UPS!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

1. Clock on

2. Download EDD

3. Turn ORION off and select "RDO" (Regular Delivery Order) instead.

Problem solved in 3 easy steps! ORION only causes the problems that you allow it to cause. You are still the driver and you still have the ability to make whatever decisions need to be made out there. Will your management team like it? No....but they dont have to. You are running a delivery route not a popularity contest, and if you wanted to manipulate irrelevant metrics for a living you would be an on car supervisor. Just get the work done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Focus on the stuff that matters and let your management team worry about the stuff...like ORION compliance..that doesnt.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you allowed to turn it off? It would seem to me that you would end up on a report.

soberups

Are you allowed to turn it off? It would seem to me that you would end up on a report.

Yes, you can turn it off. And yes, there is a report that shows the percentage at which you followed ORION. Our job is to deliver the packages, not to worry about what is printed on a report.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, you can turn it off. And yes, there is a report that shows the percentage at which you followed ORION. Our job is to deliver the packages, not to worry about what is printed on a report.

Sober is a independent multi-millionaire and he will pay your salary when you get fired for turning off Orion after management instructs you not to.

Because that's logistics.

soberups

Sober is a independent multi-millionaire and he will pay your salary when you get fired for turning off Orion after management instructs you not to.

Hoaxter,

As a shop steward, I always stress to our members the importance of following managements instructions and working as directed.

When it comes to ORION compliance, however, the company is in many cases giving us instructions that are conflicting and mutually exclusive of one another.

If ORION works, then by all means follow it. If it doesnt work, then by all means turn it off and make service on the packages. If we are going to show up on a report no matter what choice we make then we might as well make the choice that benefits the customer

soberups

"Do as I say but not as I do"?

I havent racked up 27+ years of service with this company by refusing to follow instructions.

When questioned about my lack of ORION compliance, I politely offered to follow it 100% and I showed them on a map exactly what that would entail. I was then told to turn it off and continue making decisions for myself, which I have done. This is the same course of action I would recommend to any other employee.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I havent racked up 27+ years of service with this company by refusing to follow instructions.

When questioned about my lack of ORION compliance, I politely offered to follow it 100% and I showed them on a map exactly what that would entail. I was then told to turn it off and continue making decisions for myself, which I have done. This is the same course of action I would recommend to any other employee.

​The second post is sound advice.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I havent racked up 27+ years of service with this company by. refusing to follow instructions.

I will follow Orion. About a month later,after my numbers tumble. Management will tell me to do what I have done for 25 yrs. I will wait patiently with a big smile. I love to play by their rules. You can do nothing but make money

Integrity

Binge Poster
I will follow Orion. About a month later,after my numbers tumble. Management will tell me to do what I have done for 25 yrs. I will wait patiently with a big smile. I love to play by their rules. You can do nothing but make money
10 2 go,

I understand your statement but our making money doesn't justify everything.

Sincerely,
I

soberups

As an absolute last resort I will do the same thing, but that sort of destructive obedience runs counter to my nature. It has been programmed into my UPS DNA over the last 27 years to always do the right thing and be as efficient and productive as possible and I cant just disregard all that every time UPS comes up with some new number for us to chase.

upschuck

It is all "built in" :whiteflag: