insipidtoasts thread of questions

I just scheduled an interview for handler and the instructions say, "Also do not wear any jewelry articles such as rings, watches, necklaces or earrings."

Did anyone wear a wedding ring and get in trouble? Can you wear your ring on the job?

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I just scheduled an interview for handler and the instructions say, "Also do not wear any jewelry articles such as rings, watches, necklaces or earrings."

Did anyone wear a wedding ring and get in trouble? Can you wear your ring on the job?
What they mean is show up your first day nekked!

AutoZone

BrownPower

You can wear whatever you want.. Just be early!!. That's the one thing HR will press on you.. If you're a minute late, just turn around and go home and reschedule.. They'll tell you it's not fair everyone else was on time and you weren't.. So be early!

Re-Raise

After wasting the last 10 minutes reading this entire thread, I now remember why I avoid talking to any of the new hires.

werenotthepostoffice

After wasting the last 10 minutes reading this entire thread, I now remember why I avoid talking to any of the new hires.
It's kinda fun to have a brand new driver ride with you.The questions they ask are soooo funny like. Do we always make right turns? Do you only deliver out of the right side of the truck?

Brown_Star

Methods Man
I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm genuinely curious how UPS expects to be able to sustain itself over the next couple decades.

Here are the factors I see that makes it look like UPS is a losing company over the long-term:

1) Cheaper to ship with USPS.

2) International competition: DHL, Fedex, USPS

3) Pays employees a lot more than competition and easily has better benefits. Other companies save more by paying their employees less money and benefits. UPS is the only company I'm aware of that someone without a college degree can make close to $80k per year and get great benefits for driving. No one comes close.

4) Amazon is starting to handle their own shipments, even using uber-style ICs with their personal vehicles to deliver in on-demand block increments of time (this will hurt everyone: Fedex, USPS, UPS).

5) General anti-union mentality in 21st century USA.

Get rid of excess management is a good start.

werenotthepostoffice

Get rid of excess management is a good start.
That is the biggest improvement to the bottom line UPS could make. It's very typical for a union company based in the US to be management heavy. It goes back to the "be ready in the event of a strike" mentality.

I came to UPS later in life than most. I spent 17 years in mid/upper management at a Japanese based company in the US. I was SHOCKED to see how UPS does business.

Re-Raise

My 27th year and I walk fine, I guess it's the individual.
I have 30 years in and my very fit wife has decided we are runners now.

I am in pretty much the same shape I was in college and can run 7 minute miles with ease.

If anything, I would say the job helped me stay in shape rather than broke me down.

PT Car Washer

I have 30 years in and my very fit wife has decided we are runners now.

I am in pretty much the same shape I was in college and can run 7 minute miles with ease.

If anything, I would say the job helped me stay in shape rather than broke me down.
38 years in and will turn 60 next month. Me and the dog would run 3 miles every other day almost all Spring and this Summer. This job just keeps me feeling younger keeping up with the young guys. Most drivers health problems are because they are way overweight in my opinion.

Re-Raise

38 years in and will turn 60 next month. Me and the dog would run 3 miles every other day almost all Spring and this Summer. This job just keeps me feeling younger keeping up with the young guys. Most drivers health problems are because they are way overweight in my opinion.
Two of my high school classmates just had surgery this summer.

One had a hip replacement and the other a knee replacement. They are both about 100 pounds overweight.

The hip replacement guy is a financial planner who does no physical labor and the knee replacement guy drives farm equipment all day.