Interviewing Monday, Tell me the hard truth.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm a neg, that's for sure!
61c70b45bbb6d3548752446c4ceb634d.jpg

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Interview went great this morning.
Did the tour. Then during the interview I walked in; took a seat; and explained that I'm going to be the best driver that ever lived. If Jesus was a package driver, that even he wouldn't compare. If they can't see that I'll take my awesome self to the competitor where they'll appreciate it. 10/10 hired on the spot.

But actually went well and I want to thank everyone who gave me advice. Also I think I have a better chance since I was in the first group and first interview of their hiring process this season. The hiring rep/manager (didn't get her full title) is running my background and MVC. Said that most likely, the earliest we can do the driving test is this Friday.
Also quick aside: they changed the title of my application from FT Temp Delivery Driver, to Casual Driver. I'm assuming they're the same but caught my eye.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
OP----ignore the previous posts.

I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. There will be no "bait and switch". You applied for a FT temp driver position and that is the one that you will be interviewing for. You will not have to start on the inside and work your way up.

2. I was hired off the street during a period of growth (1989) and we are currently in a period of growth so your chances are actually pretty good that you will also be hired.

3. The job is demanding but by no means impossible.

4. You are the only one who can answer the "is it worth it?" question. This depends upon your personal situation and, if your avatar picture is you, your age may be an issue.
I like #2....always have to insert your ego into Every post.....lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This company is on new ground with the Saturday Ground expansion, where I am at they are hiring drivers right off the street. It used to be a five-year wait for a part time employee to get a shot at driving. We simply don't have enough qualified inside employees to bid on driving jobs.
Need to start whipping those millennials into shape down there scratch!!! What the hell is going on in Atlanta!!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
Interview went great this morning.
Did the tour. Then during the interview I walked in; took a seat; and explained that I'm going to be the best driver that ever lived. If Jesus was a package driver, that even he wouldn't compare. If they can't see that I'll take my awesome self to the competitor where they'll appreciate it. 10/10 hired on the spot.

But actually went well and I want to thank everyone who gave me advice. Also I think I have a better chance since I was in the first group and first interview of their hiring process this season. The hiring rep/manager (didn't get her full title) is running my background and MVC. Said that most likely, the earliest we can do the driving test is this Friday.
Also quick aside: they changed the title of my application from FT Temp Delivery Driver, to Casual Driver. I'm assuming they're the same but caught my eye.

Jesus the Puerto Rican?

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why is it that they can't find people to drive? Unqualified? Drug test? Driving seems like a god sent if you've been working loading for years. But that's just my outside opinion, I've yet to even step foot in a hub so I really am wondering why.
Because it seems that only off the street hires can do this job at the level that is demanded... All of us who worked our way up from the bowels of ups are just mediocre, at best.

oldngray

nowhere special
They were the style in the 80's... The sleeveless sweater fad was between the fancy bill Cosby sweater fad and the members only parachute pants fad...
You still refuse to give up your bow tie.

Once upon a time UPS drivers actually did wear bow ties. Before my time. I'm not that old although the Eisenhower jackets were still around when I started.

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Possibly.
The person who showed us around and interviewed us said,
"This position doesn't guarantee hours. During summer when it gets slow, you might come in and there won't be a truck for you and you'll be sent home. But you guys are my first group to interview this hiring season and you would get priority over the later hires. Some weeks you might only work 3 days. But if you get a truck, you're out the entire day."

This isn't a deal breaker for me. I have no wife or family so my expenses are just my rent, food, internet, and gym membership. So if there is a week I'm only out 3 days that wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as it isn't a consistent 3 day week after another.

Do you know the differences between FT Temp and Casual? I'm going to guess the FT Temp gets guaranteed hours.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
"This position doesn't guarantee hours. During summer when it gets slow, you might come in and there won't be a truck for you and you'll be sent home. But you guys are my first group to interview this hiring season and you would get priority over the later hires. Some weeks you might only work 3 days. But if you get a truck, you're out the entire day."

This isn't a deal breaker for me. I have no wife or family so my expenses are just my rent, food, internet, and gym membership. So if there is a week I'm only out 3 days that wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as it isn't a consistent 3 day week after another.

Do you know the differences between FT Temp and Casual? I'm going to guess the FT Temp gets guaranteed hours.

Is that your picture in your profile

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

How about 3 weeks of no work...and I'll add they won't care about ur lack of hours